Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

really confused and stressed

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 21:42
Hi,

My dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer in his mid 60's. I think his psa was 26 with showing signs in a biopsy of cancer. He's got a mri soon.has anyone seen this level before?

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 17:10

Hi - have a look at my profile to see what can be done. I hope this will encourage you.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 20:57

Hi,

Firstly sorry that you find yourself here but welcome . Sandra has advised that you get the Tool Kit and this is good advice it really is a good point of reference.

Until you get the results of the scans you won't have the full picture. PCA is a very unpredictable disease , some men have had high psa with no spread and some with a low psa have spread to bones etc.

I know in the early days that you want all the answers as quickly as possible, did your Dad get a gleason score when he had his biopsy, it would help other members to try and  advise you.

My OH was diagnosed last may and probably had one of the highest psa scores on the forum, 13000 he is now down to 15.2 and so far doing well. There are so many new treatments available and many more getting discovered all the time.

Keep posting, good luck for scans 

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 10:20

Hi,

a lot of people on here have been diagnosed with PSA numbers a lot higher than 26.

The highest that I've seen was in the thousands...

Yes, 26 is high but you need the whole data to be in before you can see the full picture.

Going through diagnosis is a very stressful time, it's all the unknowns.

All I can say is sit tight until all the info is in.

Personal example, I was diagnosed with a PSA of 500 at 56. A touch over a year further down the road I'm on a course of treatment, not long finished my radio therapy and my PSA is currently sitting at an undetectable 0.01.

Have a look at my bio by 'clicking' on my name, it's all been recorded there, my downs and my ups. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Hope that helps a little and welcome to the forum,

Kevin

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 12:55

Hello Amanthatisconfused. Welcome to this club.

As Kevin says, there are many people on here with very high PSA.

Scary figures but don't despair yet until all the facts are known

In the meantime, just as a precaution, get the "Toolkit" from the publications section of this website.

This explains the various prostate cancer treatments and the side effects etc.

There is also access to this site's nurses who will be able to answer questions and may be able to reassure you. Many members have been able to chat to them and felt better for it too.

It doesn't have to be your dad who rings them. They will talk to you as well.

The waiting around for tests and then the results is what most people find the hardest and unfortunately there is no way round that.

Start with what you can do to prepare yourself. But also be aware that it could indeed be caused by something else so you need to be patient.

There is a mountain of support on here for both you and your dad so keep in touch

Best Wishes  Sandra

Edited by member 10 Aug 2014 at 07:01  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 17:10

Hi - have a look at my profile to see what can be done. I hope this will encourage you.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 20:57

Hi,

Firstly sorry that you find yourself here but welcome . Sandra has advised that you get the Tool Kit and this is good advice it really is a good point of reference.

Until you get the results of the scans you won't have the full picture. PCA is a very unpredictable disease , some men have had high psa with no spread and some with a low psa have spread to bones etc.

I know in the early days that you want all the answers as quickly as possible, did your Dad get a gleason score when he had his biopsy, it would help other members to try and  advise you.

My OH was diagnosed last may and probably had one of the highest psa scores on the forum, 13000 he is now down to 15.2 and so far doing well. There are so many new treatments available and many more getting discovered all the time.

Keep posting, good luck for scans 

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 21:44
Hi

I hope my reply doesn't scare you as it isn't meant to, but is know how I felt at the stage you are at and I wanted a full range of information. My husband was 61 and had a PSA of 25, and a Gleason score of ten, he does have spread to bone and lymph. Diagnosis was over three and a half years ago and he's still fine. This disease is unpredictable and no one can tell you what will happen to your dad, he could easily be one of the luckier ones who can still be cured. There are plenty of examples of that here. So all you can do for now is sit tight, hold on and hope that the MRI is clear, if that's the case then there is plenty on offer and if it isn't, well there s plenty on offer to hold back the cancer. I think, looking back, we already knew that it was going to be bad news because the urologist had already said that the prostate was hard on examination and we knew that wasn't good. Anyway, here we are, still having a good life and enjoying every minute.

Please let us know how things go and don't hesitate to ask questions, we usually have so done who knows the answer.

Kindest regards

Allison