Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Watch - Prostate cancer treatment

User
Posted 13 Aug 2014 at 22:13

Hello everyone,

I have joined this forum to add to the information database and to try to get some answers for my own problems.

History and personal information.

Male now aged 67 (ouch)

OK, due to the publicity I asked my GP about Prostate Cancer he offered me a PSA level blood test (3 years ago)

I had no known symptoms.

The PSA level came back at 5.7 I was told it should be under 5 for a 64 year old so was referred to a consultant urologist.

I went to what was referred to a one stop shop at a local Hospital and had internal examination plus ultrasound.

The consultant urologist then told me the prostate was enlarged, BUT the only way to tell if it was Cancer was to have a Biopsy.

I had the impression that if I did not agree that would be the end of it as far as he was concerned.

Not knowing what was in store I agreed and had 24 core samples taken, I have never experienced anything so diabolical.

The results came back negative and I was put on a Prostate Watch.

I have since had 6 monthly blood tests with readings after the biopsy going up to 10 before gradually falling to 5.5 with the last reading being 6.7,so on the rise.

I have had 2 internal checks plus an MRI scan where nothing was shown apart from Enlarged Prostate.

The Consultant seemed keen for me to have a further Biopsy but I am against it unless there is more evidence either through symptoms or MRI scan. It cannot do the Prostate Gland any good to punch 20 odd holes in it, through the walls of the Rectum, unless I am mistaken

I have now been put on Dutasteride for 6 months to shrink the prostate followed by an MRI scan, looking at the side effects of the drug I have reservations.

I am aware that it may be possible that I  have Prostate Cancer but it is difficult to know to whether to carry on "treatment" is good or bad.

To have a further Biopsy I need stronger evidence of Cancer.

I s there any views on taking Avodart Dutasteride?

I still have no classic symptoms related to Prostate Cancer, thankfully.

Any views would be appreciated.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 00:32
The trouble is, by the time you have symptoms it may be too late to have curative treatment and whilst scans are helpful they are not conclusive. My husband was diagnosed with a PSA of 3.1 and his scan was clear so it was believed that he had been picked up at an early stage. Fortunately he opted for surgery and when they got in there, it was realised that the cancer was throughout his prostate and into the bottom of the bladder. No-one enjoys the biopsy and it is certainly not a perfect test (our urologist describes it as sticking a pin in a fruit cake and hoping to spear a cherry) but it makes an important contribution to checking your prostate health.

On the other hand, if you are absolutely certain that you would not have treatment even if you were diagnosed with prostate cancer, then there would be no point putting yourself through the biopsy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 00:38
One thing to bear in mind - taking avodart will hopefully reduce the size of your prostate but also has the potential to mask problems by lowering the PSA ... Don't be lulled into a false sense of security if at your next PSA test it has suddenly halved!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 08:38

Thank you for the reply.

I am not against treatment if I have cancer, I just feel if the only way to prove it is to continue to have regular Biopsies, may do more harm than good.

I may be wrong of course, and I will bear in mind your comments re PSA levels and Avodart Dutasteride.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 10:42

Hi gemini18

You have a PM

Roger
User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 11:24
As my profile shows PSA 6.1 first biopsy clear, 2nd some 7 weeks later Gleason 8. What would have happened if I had refused 2nd biopsy?

Ray

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 15:08
Am I correct in thinking that you've had a TRUS (trans-rectal ultrasound guided) biopsy? This is the one where a long needle is inserted under local anaesthetic up your back passage. This type of biopsy cannot sample the anterior of the prostate which means it may miss the cancer. Another type is the template biopsy which takes up to 50 samples, giving a more accurate result. Template biopsies are done under general anaesthetic. By no means all hospitals have template biopsy equipment, but a referral should be possible.

More about biopsies here: http://prostatecanceruk.org/information/prostate-cancer/testing-for-prostate-cancer

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 21:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

To have a further Biopsy I need stronger evidence of Cancer.

The other side of the coin is,I need a biopsy to show stronger evidence of cancer,