Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dogs detecting cancer?

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:10
Hi,

Saw an interesting feature on BBC Breakfast this morning which suggested that some dogs can detect the presence of cancer. With Breast cancer they can smell it on women's breath and with Prostate cancer in men they can smell it from their urine. This may sound a bit farfetched but it suddenly reminded me of a visit I made to friends about a year before my diagnosis. They had a dog and it was embarrassing because the dog kept smelling my private parts. It just wouldn't leave me alone. In the end my friends had to shut the dog in another room. We all had a good laugh about it because they said that the dog obviously fancied me but they said that he had never done that before with anyone else.

I wondered, has anyone else ever had a similar experience, particulary if it happened before they knew about their cancer?

Steve

Edited by member 18 Aug 2014 at 15:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 16:51
You can interpret all sorts of things as significant in hindsight. On the other hand, there are a number of examples of dogs detecting cancer or other illness in their owners and there is a famous cat that lived at a hospice ... if the cat lay on someone's bed the staff knew to call in the family as the person was likely to die very soon.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:34

One of my friends swore her dog detected a cancerous spot on her leg, Smudge just wouldnt leave the area alone. Joan reckons if her doctors hadnt checked it she would have been a gonner !

Fiona.