I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Get walking

User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 18:49

If only things were that simple me thinks!....anyway, here's the link if you want to give it a go!

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/29/walking-mile-day-cut-risk-dying-breast-prostate-cancer-40pc?CMP=soc_567

flexi

User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 22:51
I'm a full advocate for staying active & healthy. It's a heck of a claim to make though.

My situation is running anywhere between 30 & 60 miles per week for the past 4 years & at the age of 44, I've had a prostatectomy.

Maybe my damage was done in my 30's when I moved into management, loaded myself with stress, worked rediculous hours & looked after my kids & family instead of myself.

I ate when I could, usually late at night, drank & never went near the scales.

I've no doubt that getting & keeping fit has helped me get through the op & will help me recover but it's certainly not prevented the onset.

My GP tells me, they've been testing my PSA levels for the past 5 years annually when doing my diabetic analysis & it's only risen this year.

As you say, if only that simple.

All the best

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 23:45
Definitely worth giving it a go. It has to be brisk walking, not a gentle stroll. Try reading Prof Robert Thomas's "Lifestyle and Cancer - The Facts". Prof Thomas is an oncologist working at Bedford and Cambridge.
User
Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 08:28
I don't think anyone can really argue against a healthy lifestyle. However, I was only reading on here a few months ago How cycling and vigorous exercise can put men at higher risk. I think sometimes you are better doing what you feel is right for you. Carlos have you a family history of PCA. You have a very pro - active GP if he started PSA testing when you were 38. Bri
User
Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 09:38
Agreed. No pca in the family but I did lose my mum to cancer when she was only 42. The consultant has advised me to start genetic testing for my son & that my brother (he's 38 & a GP) get tested too.

My GP is amazing. As is the local PCT. They have fully supported & encouraged me with my weight loss & active life & done all they can to keep me fit & my diabetes under control.

I know that I'm really, really lucky to have them

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 10:30

As others have stated a healthy lifestyle is to be encouraged for dozens of reasons......

I'm more than a little sceptical as to whether it has helped me personally with regards to PCa

I always played sport on a regular basis  at a decent level in my younger years.... and from my mid twenties was a keen club cyclist who would regularly cover 200 miles a week in training...... When a back and knee injury put a stop to my cycling days I took up walking..

I still walk at least 5 miles on a daily basis across country with my dogs...

There is no doubt in my mind that keeping my level of fitness up has helped me recover quickly from the surgery itself...
 Because I was in a higher risk category ( my father died of PCa at 55 ) I don't think I could have done any more to  have altered events in my case.....

User
Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 10:42

For what its worth, this is aimed at not burdening yourself with guilt etc,

My father in law passed away recently aged 86, he had been a life long smoker, heavy drinker, meat and two veg kind of man, never been in a gym,never took exercise ,never ate salad or what would be called a healthly diet by todays standard and never drank mineral water, 

when he visited his doctor last year, they coudnt find any record of him, as he hadnt been there for some 35 years ! there's a lot of stuff we just dont know, what genes you inherit may be an indcator of future health , I'm the opposite of him and I guess this has made me question life in general, in case your wondering he had a stroke aged 86, in my estimation he had beaten the odds.