I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

gay lifestyle - gay,Scans (CT / MRI / Bone scan)

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 21:36

I have recently had a PSA which showed a level of 4.7 (above average). Referred to consultant who did an internal examination, which seemed normal although the neck of the prostate was firm.

Referred for second PSA. Returned as 3.9 (below average) Also a MRI scan. This showed areas that were of some concern to the doctor. I do not have any of the usual symptoms etc. Health is good. No prev biopsies, no catheters etc.

Biopsy undertaken an 14 samples from areas of concern taken.

My question. I am gay does having anal sex have any impact, such as marking or damaging the prostate, which could explain the conerns raised by the MRI scan.

I know my lifestyle may be difficult for some to understand but........ any help guidance etc would be welcome. The next two weeks waiting for the results is going to be an anxious time.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 22:23
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under such circumstances.

My PSA levels were similar to yours. I had the same MRI & biopsy & I've just had a Radical prostatectomy.

It ain't so bad. Im sure it was the right treatment route for me.

In terms of being Gay, I don't think it makes any difference. I had a leaflet in the PCUK toolkit. I think it was this one.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/information/living-with-prostate-cancer/gay-and-bisexual-men

The PCUK nurses are on the end of the phone & they are fantastic too. Give them a calm for a chat. They can help with all your queries.

Fingers crossed the biopsy results come out right, although a negative result doesn't neccasarily mean 'all clear' it means 'no cancer found' & you'd probably be on an active minitoring regime.

All the best fella & keep us posted.

Carlos.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 22:26
Carlos. Thanks for the fast response it is very much appreciated and the link s well. Take care. Rod (aka Horus2872)
User
Posted 02 Sep 2014 at 23:22

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum, but sorry it's due to possible PC issues.

I have Prostate Cancer and had no symptoms at all. I only found out through a blood test which was taken due to an infection I had, this showed a raised PSA of 59, well above what it should have been.

The key thing is the earlier Prostate Cancer is caught the better chance of curative treatment.

This is the worst part you are at waiting to find out the results, and hopefully all will be ok.

You have been given good advice and info from Carlos, I suggest you take his advice and have a chat with one of the PCUK nurses they are brilliant and will be able to calm any fears you have.

Best wishes and keep us posted mate.

Regards,

Gerry

Good luck & best wishes to ALL who are fighting or affected by cancer.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2014 at 01:27
I don't think anal sex would cause the markings seen on the scan - if a prostate was that delicate then it would presumably also be injured by a doctor's finger or a large firm poo! Exception might be if the sex is very rough or uses large implements I suppose. Anal sex is unlikely to be the reason for a raised PSA unless you had been active in the few hours before your bloods were taken. I am a bit puzzled though by your reference to 3.9 being 'below average' - you don't say what age you are but unless you are very old, I would not consider 3.9 to be a healthy level at all!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2014 at 18:38

Hi I do not think it makes any difference how you live your life sorry to hear you are suffering as they say there but for the grace of god go I and judge not :) good luck

User
Posted 17 Dec 2014 at 12:52
Rod

as others have said your sexuality is almost certainly irrelevant PCa has only one rule only a Man can get it. I once attended a prostate cancer clinic for my Husband (all pre arranged with his Oncologist), it is not unusual to see women there to support partners, husbands or friends or indeed men there to do the same but a woman there alone got me some very quizzical looks.!! I am pleased to say that this forum does not look at race (other than the shocking fact that Afro Caribbean Men are much more prone to the disease than anyone else), religion or sexuality it just deals with prostate cancer and all that it means.

The waiting for your diagnosis is hard so I hope you have a partner, good friend or family you can turn to for support as that will help. the nurses and counsellors on the help line are brilliant and they will answer any questions you might have.

Best wishes

Mo

xx

User
Posted 18 Dec 2014 at 00:38

Mo, as Horus hasn't posted again since September I am assuming he got the all clear 👏

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard