I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone suffer with atrial fibrillation?

User
Posted 15 Sep 2014 at 18:14
Hello everyone. I've got a biopsy arranged for Wednesday after three PSAs between 6.5 and 9.

My problem is that I have atrial fibrillation and, probably because of stress, my heart is jumping into fibrillation all of the time at the moment and there has to be a strong chance that I will be in fibrillation for at least some of the time at the biopsy. It's a long shot I know, but has anyone got experience of having a biopsy while in AFib?

User
Posted 15 Sep 2014 at 22:25
Hi Tobw.

Sorry, no experience of the afib but I did have the biopsy a few months ago.

It's no real bother, a few moments of discomfort. The sound is the worse, like a heavy duty staple gun! But once they've done one or two samples it's ok!

I should think that you need to make the surgeon aware of your afib before the biopsy. I'm diabetic, we had a few moments discussing that and other medication I was taking too.

I'm sure he will have all your medical records & be fully aware but no harm in a briefing before.

Hope it goes ok.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 06:36

Thanks very much for your reply Carlos. Yes, they know all about my AFib, I've had to come off the Warfarin I take every day and have Clexane injections instead - the AFib makes this whole procedure so much more complicated.

I rang the Urology Nurse who is dealing with me yesterday and let her know about the situation, she couldn't really help, but she said she'd speak to the Urologist about it and get back to me today. I presume they'll consult a Cardiologist about whether the biopsy can go ahead - although I'm obviously not looking forward to it, I hope it does because it seems to me that I've got to have one sometime and there has to be a good chance that the same sort of thing will happen beforehand next time.

Once again, thanks for getting in touch. 

User
Posted 16 Sep 2014 at 14:54
Hello Tobw

I started with Afib in 1986 when I was 43. It eventually became persistent so I had a pacemaker fitted so I am not aware of the Afib now because my heart is paced to the normal 70 beats. I am also on Warfarin.

I had my biopsy in June this year. I dropped my INR down to 1.4 for the day of the biopsy then went back on Warfarin the day after until the INR got back up to 2.5. I have done what you are doing in having Celexane instead of the Warfarin when I have had other procedures so it doesn't matter which way it's done.

All I can say to you is that my biopsy went very well. There were no complications, not even excess bleeding afterwards.

I hope all goes well for you on Wednesday.

Best wishes

Michael

User
Posted 19 Sep 2014 at 15:56

Thank you very much Michael, I had no problems with Afib on Wednesday and the procedure was not the ordeal I thought it might be. So far, there's been no sign of infection and some blood, but not too much of it.

My INR was 1.2 on Wednesday and I'm on Clexane until Monday at least - I start taking Warfarin again tomorrow.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2014 at 12:20
Hi Tobw

I was thinking of you on Wednesday. I know how must have felt because I was apprehensive about my biopsy.

Glad it went OK for you. I'm sure your INR will settle pretty quickly and I hope the results turn out to be manageable.

Best wishes

Michael

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 17:25

I had a pacemaker fitted 2005 to control AF.

It was recently replaced.

Unfortunately the AF has returned together with other forms of arythmia and VT.

A couple of weeks ago I was re-admitted to the Intensive Cardiac Care ward and whilst at rest my pulse was permanently reading over 150 bpm.

They have altered my beta blocker dose in an effort to bring it down and I was released with an appointment to see cardiologist at the end of November.

Yesterday I got a call from Oxford urology for me to go in for the fiducal markers and to await a call informing me when to stop the warfarin (which I am on for life).

The condition of my heart is making me feel so ill I am seriously thinking of withdrawing from the radiotherapy and just carry on with the HRT.

Regards

David

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 07:35
Hello Tobw, husband has Afib and was very stressed as well. He. Had a radical prostate removal four weeks ago with a spinal block and light anaesthetic. He is doing well and his heart was in rhythm the whole time. Now it’s just a waiting game for his next psa, he did have a Gleeson 9 and PSA 5.4. The dr said he thinks he got it all out, but a small bit had broken through. So fingers crossed. Hope all goes well for you. Oh husband is 66, just retired. We live in Australia.