I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

should i start to worry!!!!

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 21:47

Hi All, I was diagnosed in june 2013 with prostate cancer gleason 7 (3+4). I had a radical Prosectomy in sept 2013.

My histology report revealed that the cancer had been contained in capsule and that the cancer was downgraded to gleason 6.

At biopsy 3/6 left side contained cancer, 6/6 right side were clear. total amount of cancer found was 15% .

since my operation my first and second psa test results ( which are taken every 3 months) were < 0.03. However my next psa test was 0.03 !

Here's where it gets worrying? Because my third psa test was not less than 0.03 BUT 0.03, I decided to have another psa test about a week later than my third result!

This psa test result was 0.031 I have a new psa test next week and am bloody worried that the result will be higher! Should I be concerned?

I have not posted for a while because I thought I was out of the woods! Perhaps a bit naïve ??

Best wishes to you all,

Sweep.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 22:14

Hi Sweep,

My view on PCa is that one should never be complacent. However, the rise you have quoted is minuscule and could in reality be nothing because it has been taken to decimal place beyond previous tests, so no, don't worry at this stage, the test may have just been more detailed.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 23:19
Hi David,

Calm down, calm down (as a Liverpool fan might say).

No reason to panic. I agree totally with Barry, any change there is absolutely minuscule.

Everything seems to be going well.

Long may it continue,

All the best,

George

User
Posted 08 Oct 2014 at 23:34

I think you should just have your normal test in 3 months. Your tests that were < 0.03 may have been 0.029. This would mean there is a rise of 0.001 which is not significant.

I think it's the curse of the super sensative test striking again. That kind of rise could be due to any number of reasons not connected with PCA

Bri

Edited by member 08 Oct 2014 at 23:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2014 at 01:25

Sweep,
this isn't a rise at all at the minute as a variation of 1 thousandth is statistically insignificant in the world of PSA! There is a possibility that the samples were measured on two different machines in the same lab, that it was the same machine but had been calibrated between tests 2 and 3, that you had done something slightly different in the preceding couple of days or that it is just how human science goes. The machines that measure these things can have a tolerance range of up to 5 hundredths - in other words, if you put in a sample and the result comes back as 0.03, the true reading could have been anything from 0.01 to 0.05. If you google this, there is research to show that if you put the one sample through a number of times, the result can vary slightly every time.

John's has risen by 0.01, ten times the 'rise' you seem to have, but his onco was happy to put it down to machine noise and so should you, I think.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard