I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA UP AGAIN !

User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 14:42

Hi Guys, many thanks for all your feedbacks re my worries about a small increase in my psa result. Unfortunately my latest result from last week shows another increase from 0.031 to 0.046 . Bearing in mind my first 2 tests were <0.03 I am now starting to get very very nervous.

Am I right in thinking that I am having a biochemical reoccurrence?

In other words the cancer is back / spreading ?

I'm not sure how to work this doubling score out either!

My psa scores before surgery were 3.4 then 6 weeks later 4.7

My histology report showed that the margins were negative and that the cancer had not penetrated out of capsule.

My gleason score was downgraded from gleason 7 (3+4)       To Gleason 6 (3+3).

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated. For your knowledge, I am seeing my consultant on 28/10/14

He has already told me that the hospital do not intervene until a score of 0.2 is achieved, is this not leaving treatment until the very last minute

( so to speak)

best wishes, Dave ( sweep)

User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 18:36

Hi Dave Sweep,

If you are worried with those numbers, I should also be concerned.

My PSA history:
5.5 to 6.4 6 weeks later, RRP, then the following results, < 0.003, blood taken at Reading and sent off by them.
3 months later < 0.05*
3 months later < 0.05*
3 months later < 0.01*
* all done at the same hospital

3 months later 0.1
6 months later 0.1
Then last two results via my GP's surgery. My GP says these last results are normal and no further action required.

Add to this, my Gleason was upgraded from 6 to 7.

Do you know if the same Lab and same machine in that Lab was used for all the tests?

I sincerely hope it is not indicative of an issue for you?

Dave

User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 17:30

Dave
I can't answer why the increase but can say over the years I've seen after surgery PSA rise to a good 0.1 and then stop.

Good luck with consultant meet

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 17:30

Dave
I can't answer why the increase but can say over the years I've seen after surgery PSA rise to a good 0.1 and then stop.

Good luck with consultant meet

Ray

User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 18:36

Hi Dave Sweep,

If you are worried with those numbers, I should also be concerned.

My PSA history:
5.5 to 6.4 6 weeks later, RRP, then the following results, < 0.003, blood taken at Reading and sent off by them.
3 months later < 0.05*
3 months later < 0.05*
3 months later < 0.01*
* all done at the same hospital

3 months later 0.1
6 months later 0.1
Then last two results via my GP's surgery. My GP says these last results are normal and no further action required.

Add to this, my Gleason was upgraded from 6 to 7.

Do you know if the same Lab and same machine in that Lab was used for all the tests?

I sincerely hope it is not indicative of an issue for you?

Dave

User
Posted 23 Oct 2014 at 22:41

To Murf, countryboy55 and Ray who posted on 21/10/2014 re my rise in psa levels, a very big thank you to you all !!
Best wishes to you all,
Sweep.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2014 at 09:09

Keep us updated Dave. I am sure you, and we, will be fine.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Oct 2014 at 09:15

Hi Sweep

I was at Christie's on Wednesday, and was told they only start getting concerned when PSA is 0.2 or above.  I haven't had the ultra sensitive test.  All I know is it's <0.1.  After reading your post, I think I'm happy to avoid knowing down to that level of accuracy!

Stay Calm And Carry On.