I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fighting Talk !

User
Posted 22 Oct 2014 at 19:30

Since Neil died six weeks ago I wanted to update the forum about the aftermath of his ghastly end of life care which I detailed in our thread 'Nearing the End ' or I think I did.

I don't want any man with Pca and their family or anyone for that matter to go through what we did. I guess  I am still fighting for Neil too and my heart is breaking.

After his death, his daughter wrote a detailed complaint on behalf of us both, describing his last hours, the lack of informed nursing and medical care and the fact that we had to tell/ beg them for pain/agitation control,. medical imput, etc.,

I have sent the complaint to my local Prostate Cancer Support Group 'Prospect ' who have been brilliant. Some of the committee are on the local urology evaluation service, fighting for change. They have sent the complaint to the South West Commissioning Group Urology person, local MP, one of the senior urologists who helped found Prospect, etc. The CQC are involved as Neil was classified as a vulnerable person. They have hinted to Becky about compensation but stuff that, all we want is change.

We have been asked to a meeting with the urology lead consultant in Nov, prior to any formal investigations, funny as this guy was Neil's original consultant we think and did absolutely nothing in terms of direct dealing with him but he was involved in Neils original complaint last year. The phrase 'I smell a rat' comes to mind !

We must have a better urology service, I know I still feel a lot of Neil's care with hindsight should have been different and afforded him a better survival time but if we can bring about some change  even if it means involving the media then it will be worth it.

Fiona.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2014 at 22:15

Good luck with bringing about change for the better Fiona.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Oct 2014 at 22:58

Good for you Fiona and Becky, but you shouldn't have to do this, you have enough on your plate just with the grieving, I am so proud of you in your fight for recognition of Neil's poor treatment.

Good luck and best wishes that something good comes out of it all.

Chris.

Dave, pleased you've got your "countryboy" back.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2014 at 23:51

Your detailed posts were always heartfelt, and stressed the enormous difficulties you had at many levels. Good luck with your efforts - you have my totl admiration.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 23 Oct 2014 at 09:12

Hi zarissa, we've been away for some weeks, and it came as some shock to read of Neil's death,and now you feel you need to press for changes, and perhaps an apology from those who should know better,well don't hold your breath,a lot of people in positions of authority as health professionals actually believe that they are above all that, and will never be held to account.We ,on the other hand, are all in the same boat with our failing prostates, and eventual demise, but there is hope, sites like this, people like you, and others can and do fight our corner, and will continue to for as long as it takes.More power to your elbow Zarissa. My very best wishes to you and your daughter, and good luck. Diesel x