Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Results received

User
Posted 25 Oct 2014 at 19:58

Hi all, 

Just to update you, my husband and I went to see the consultant yesterday to get his results/full diagnosis.

We were told his bone scan was clear, phew, but the cancer in the prostate is locally advanced and has spread into the lymph nodes, although they seem to think they have caught the spread early. So we are not in the 'cure' camp and have been described as 'on the fence' and between the two camps. So he started his hormone therapy today and is on BICALUTAMIDE. He will have radical radiotherapy roughly next February where they will treat the spread as well as the prostate. Results were T3b N1 M0, haven't really looked up what this means yet but the consultant said the N1 was the important bit. So along with his PSA of 19.4 and Gleason 5+3, any words of wisdom/advice would be very welcome.

We did come away feeling fairly relieved/positive that there was some hope, as I guess we had prepared ourselves for possible worse news.

Would really appreciate to hear what you think,

Miss x

Edited by member 26 Oct 2014 at 06:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 01:05

Hi Miss, you have answered your own question; the N1 indicates that the cancer has spread to lymph nodes. Great that the bone scan was clear and they are willing to try for curative RT ..... I hope you both had a small celebratory drink tonight!!!

Edited by member 26 Oct 2014 at 01:06  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 03:37

Cautious optimism is certainly justified. RT means they feel they can deal with the local spread and the clear bone scan is great news. Usual pattern is to start with HT to reduce the Cancer then zap with RT. Though you have a way to go Lyn is right it is a positive outcome and hopefully as you progress the PSA will go down and the Cancer will be contained. You must be relieved. Good luck on your journey.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 11:22

Hi Miss

My OH had a very similar diagnosis, please have a look at our profile T3b, N1 M0.

I am also the one with the young children too, so we have a lot in common.

My OH has had HT and Radical RT which finished 2 years ago. He was diagnosed 3 years ago.

I am away at the moment, so rushing to type this, but it seems that we are in similar positions and can perhaps help each other?

One point - my OH enrolled on STAMPEDE trial and had lots of extra appointments/monitoring etc that we found helpful. Not sure if they do it at your hospital but worth an ask maybe?

Once I am home I can write more.

Take Care

Alison x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 01:05

Hi Miss, you have answered your own question; the N1 indicates that the cancer has spread to lymph nodes. Great that the bone scan was clear and they are willing to try for curative RT ..... I hope you both had a small celebratory drink tonight!!!

Edited by member 26 Oct 2014 at 01:06  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 03:37

Cautious optimism is certainly justified. RT means they feel they can deal with the local spread and the clear bone scan is great news. Usual pattern is to start with HT to reduce the Cancer then zap with RT. Though you have a way to go Lyn is right it is a positive outcome and hopefully as you progress the PSA will go down and the Cancer will be contained. You must be relieved. Good luck on your journey.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2014 at 11:22

Hi Miss

My OH had a very similar diagnosis, please have a look at our profile T3b, N1 M0.

I am also the one with the young children too, so we have a lot in common.

My OH has had HT and Radical RT which finished 2 years ago. He was diagnosed 3 years ago.

I am away at the moment, so rushing to type this, but it seems that we are in similar positions and can perhaps help each other?

One point - my OH enrolled on STAMPEDE trial and had lots of extra appointments/monitoring etc that we found helpful. Not sure if they do it at your hospital but worth an ask maybe?

Once I am home I can write more.

Take Care

Alison x