Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter Comfort

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 10:11

Hi All,

I am new to the Community. I had an open radical prostatectomy on 28th October 2014. I was discharged last Friday with my carrier full of night bags, pain killers and blood thinning hypodermics. I am due to have staples removed this Friday and the catheter removed on 12th November.  I am making very good progress, off all pain killers, eating, drinking plenty and passing water well. However I find the catheter really uncomfortable and restrictive. I feel fit and strong enough to go for a decent walk but just cannot as the catheter becomes too uncomfortable after a very short distance. I am patrolling the house and garden like a trapped animal but can at least keep adjusting the leg garter and myself not something I can do in the streets of suburbia! Does any one have any suggestions or do I have to just grin and bear it?

Regards

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 21:52

View 1 - it is your body telling you that you are pushing yourself too hard. The world of incontinence is filled with men who underestimated the seriousness of their operation and did too much too soon.

View 2 - are you rubbing the anaesthetic gel inside the eye of your penis as well as outside? Are you wearing proper knickers rather than boxer shorts?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 23:16
Pad

Keep patrolling the garden and take it easy for the first few days. Keep moving round to help the motions move.As Lyn says get some gel in the end if it gets sore.

Keep it all clean an washed. I had a spare set of bag and catheter straps so showered then put the spare straps on and let the others dry. Boxer shorts save tightness on wounds briefs keep things in place.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 09:01

Low tech solution (but it worked!). If the problem is the leg bag strap slipping down and moving the upper strap above your knee doesn't give enough resistance, tie something like a piece of ribbon round the strap and attach the other end to your trouser belt. That gives added support, and while walking you can always give it an unobtrusive yank. HOWEVER don't overdo the exercise!!!!

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 21:52

View 1 - it is your body telling you that you are pushing yourself too hard. The world of incontinence is filled with men who underestimated the seriousness of their operation and did too much too soon.

View 2 - are you rubbing the anaesthetic gel inside the eye of your penis as well as outside? Are you wearing proper knickers rather than boxer shorts?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 23:16
Pad

Keep patrolling the garden and take it easy for the first few days. Keep moving round to help the motions move.As Lyn says get some gel in the end if it gets sore.

Keep it all clean an washed. I had a spare set of bag and catheter straps so showered then put the spare straps on and let the others dry. Boxer shorts save tightness on wounds briefs keep things in place.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 09:01

Low tech solution (but it worked!). If the problem is the leg bag strap slipping down and moving the upper strap above your knee doesn't give enough resistance, tie something like a piece of ribbon round the strap and attach the other end to your trouser belt. That gives added support, and while walking you can always give it an unobtrusive yank. HOWEVER don't overdo the exercise!!!!

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 09:24

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for response and warning!

I wasn't given any gel when discharged, I will mention to Practice Nurse tomorrow when I have staples removed. I am wearing boxers rather than briefs. I find these more comfortable as I can lift the waistband above the wound.

Regards

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 09:28

Guys,

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Regards

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 01:35

Pad,

I had RP in August and so far due to complications, 2 lots of catheterisation (4 weeks with leg bag).

I cant stress enough the importance of rest.  Im a marathon runner and it drove me nuts.  I was out walking a couple of mile per day in the first week but i soon slowed up and took to a potter.

The problem is, the bladder is effectively empty and the catheter balloon end is bouncing round in the dry bladder.  I was finding any more than say half hour on my feet and i was passing pure blood and felt ghastly.  The chaffing around the urethra, particularly at the exit point on the penis wasnt pleasant either.

I agree with Tony, I found an extra strap on my thigh kept things nice and steady and so long as i was careful, it was easier.

Im back in surgery next tuesday for a diliatation and likely to have a further catheter.  Ive told the surgeon it must be out by Friday as im running a 28mile fell race in the cotswolds at the weekend.  Im just keeping everything crossed i can.

Good luck

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.