Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Introduction and offload

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 20:56

Hi,

Completely new to all this (computer forums and Prostate cancer!).

My husband was diagnosed in May this year. It was a complete shock and out of the blue as he had only gone along to the GP to "meet & greet" following moving house and registering with a new surgery. His father had prostate cancer and was diagnosed with bone mets at Christmas, so thought it would be worth a PSA test as he had now turned 50. No symptoms other than taking a bit longer to pee first thing in the morning. (Wasn't that normal for someone over 50?). Nothing could have prepared us for a PSA of 97, very quickly followed by hospital appointments, biopsies & scans (despite both having worked in the NHS for most of our working lives). To top it all our daughter was right in the middle of her GCSE's, so there was no way we could tell the kids what was going on.

Eventually the details were decided and the test showed a T3b tumor with a Gleason of 9, ? lymph node involvement but no bone mets. The plan of action was for about 3 months of hormone therapy followed by radiotherapy.

During this time I dipped in and out of the forum, just looking and reading peoples posts.

Initially the PSA dropped to 7.5; however then it started to go up again (currently 23) which obviously concerned us (and the health professionals) and we were told yesterday that there could be a couple of reasons, one possibly was a "funny glitch" however the other more concerning one was that the cancer had already spread (despite the earlier negative bone scan). Regardless it was decided that the plan should still be to start the radiotherapy (in 10 days) and we have opted (rightly or wrongly) to not have any further bone or full body scans until after the radiotherapy. 

Having felt like our world had fallen apart in May, we had begun to get more positive and back on track; however I feel that this new information has hit me full on and I just felt the need to off load; hence why I have joined the forum. So, sorry to bore you all, but with no family locally and (please don't take this the wrong way) the others in all the clinics we have attended, several years older than us, I just sort of hoped there might be someone out there who knew how I felt. :(

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 23:03

Hello Mrs Morph,
You are not alone, we are all here to help each other, I fully expect some of our ladies to be along with their comments soon, we have several of them who are helping and have helped their OH's.

I have always followed the professionals advice, but it is a personal choice as it is our bodies that we are given, not the medics!
How many ZAPS are planned ? and, what was his opening treatment?

Now you know that we are human, and can answer you, feel free to ask anything, there is always someone else reading who may be able to help and advise you.

One of our great guys, sadly no longer with us, started the YANA web site (YANA= You Are Not Alone).

All the best for his RT in 10 days.

Chris.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 23:11

Hi Mrs Morph,

Welcome to the sight although like all of us you would rather not be here. There are many on here that are of a similar age to yourselves. PCA is labelled an older persons disease but the incidences of much younger men being diagnosed is all to often heard on here. I think the youngest that I have read at the moment is 47.

My OH was 64 at diagnosis but in all reality he had probably had PCA for many years prior . Everyone on here remembers those early and very scary days just after diagnosis and waiting for all the results. The fear , anger, and despair we have all been there, things do get easier and you will find a wealth of information and friendships on here . It sometimes helps just to be able to write your feelings down.

Have you applied for the PCUK Tool kit, you can download it or it can be posted to you. It is very helpful in explaining things.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 05 Nov 2014 at 23:51
Hi Mrs Morph

I was 57 yrs old at diagnosis with a PSA of 94.4 two years ago and also was staged T3b also assumed spread to lymph nodes etc, if you click on my name or avatar it will bring up my profile and treatment path.

Roy

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 08:26

Dear Mrsmoph,

No bore at all. Not at all. I read your account with growing dismay. For me that dismay was sympathy for your account read to close to my own history that it might have been mine had my PSA been just a few months later. As it is, it is a T3 with the treatment being very similar. Wow! was out world turned upside down. It has been a shock in addition to the shock for my own position to see how my wife's world has bee turn upside down. She copes by labouring in the kitchen to make me the healthiest PCa sufferer ever. I need friends on the forum to put me back together when I come to pieces. So offload away. I find it marvelously therapeutic and I am delighted to do what I can that you might be comforted. I find it so helpful that people understand and that they care. You have that extra responsibility to be there, supporting your husband while confronting your own fears and anxieties. PCa is so full of anxiety points. Each challenge us yet again. Each can have us set up a new point from which the rest of our life begins. You know already what you are facing. You know the many therapies there are to knock back and hold up the disease. Each has its challenges of balancing good against bad. I hope that one of us who respond say that little something that gives birth to some useful or helpful thought that is new to you or needed brought back to mind.

Whatever else PCa does, it creates in us a common bond, and love from the sympathy that bond excites.

I do hope your sounding off has revitalised your courage and your store of fortitude.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 09:39
Hi Mrs Morph

as Julie (who has become my soul sister in the 17 months we have been friends on this forum) has said welcome.

You are definitely not on you own in having a young Husband with this crappy disease and also regrettably not alone in having early issues in diagnosis/staging.

I will leave any explanation of the staging to one of our other members maybe one who is in a similar situation to yourself. Hopefully you have had the treatment explained in great detail to you both along with what side effects you can expect and what can be done to help.There are others posting about their RT experiences right now, NikonSteve is in his last week of an RT course and he is posting regularly about his progress.

This is a source of so much help and support so rest assured you have started out well, In the 17 months that I have been using the forum I have made some amazing friends, met some incredible people and know that those friendships are lasting and genuine. As George said the bond we have through PCa is extremely strong.

good luck for 10 days time

xx

Mo

Edited by member 06 Nov 2014 at 16:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 11:24

Hi Mrs Morph

There are a few of us wives on here now who have young children, which puts an additional perspective on the disease.

Things like, who to tell (incase it accidentally gets back to the children), and making excuses to cover the regular appointments, Daddy's tiredness etc all put additional strains at what is already a very traumatic and frightening time.

In some ways though - the joy of the children keeps us going and gives us the fighting spirit that you will see so much of on the site.

Take a look at different peoples profiles, my OH is similar to yours in that he is a T3b with some lymph node involvement and was referred for RT.

Look after yourself.

Alison

Edited by member 06 Nov 2014 at 11:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 16:49

Hi again,

Wow, quite overwhelmed as I only posted my spiel last night and already 6 of you have taken the time to reply. Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts, support and encouragement. Funny how therapeutic it felt just typing it all out!

I'm sure I'll need more offloads once the radiotherapy starts. 37 sessions, but Christmas Day & Boxing Day off!!

Thank you all again and speak soon x

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 18:52

Welcome aboard Mrs M but sorry you had to join us.

I just want to mention that for the younger guys in particular ( I was 51 at diagnosis ) it is worth asking for a testosterone level blood test ( via GP if easier ). Some of us found that the injection did not bring the figure as low as it might be ( ( below 0.69 nmol/l ) and this thus failed to suppress the P.Ca. cells as much as they could be.

Appreciate you are embarking on the R/T which will help but it's worth keeping an eye on the testosterone level & discussing with your medics if above the level mentioned.

Edited by member 06 Nov 2014 at 18:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 01:43

Hi Mrs Morph,

Sorry you find yourself here.  Im a junior at 44.  I was diagnoed at 43 with a high PSA revealed on xmas eve.  Im convinced ive had problems since 2009 when the GP said i must have a urinary infection - although samples were clear.  He laughed off my wifes suggestions of PCA as i was obviously way too young for that.  After 3 courses of anti biotics i just gave up and accepted slow, painful wees as us blokes do.  We dont like the fuss you see.

Ive had my prostate removed and keeping everything crossed.  Hope thiings work out for you guys.

Carlos

Edited by member 08 Nov 2014 at 01:45  | Reason: Not specified

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.