I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Gel mini-enema / radiotherapy

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 06:18
I am findind I get horrendous wind from shortly after each radiotherapy until it settles dow after 11 or se hours. Is this the mini-enema jell or the radiotherapy? I have had conflicting advice as to which is the cause. Any comment please?
User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 19:31

Have you moved to a low fibre diet ?

Have you altered times of meals to see if any difference ?

Peppermint tea might help but just check with radiologists is o.k. to have ( can't think why it shouldn't be ).

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 12:11

The mucus suggests the R/T has touched & affected the gut. Do try & stay with low fibre diet to help. The nurses may prescribe something to help if gets sore.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 13:10

Why did I read this when having my lunch?!

Seriously, I hope your problems are sorted quickly, George.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2014 at 16:32  | Reason: Not specified

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 21:59

I am lucky in that I have a fairly strong constitution. Hate to waste good food.

Glad you're sorted.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 19:31

Have you moved to a low fibre diet ?

Have you altered times of meals to see if any difference ?

Peppermint tea might help but just check with radiologists is o.k. to have ( can't think why it shouldn't be ).

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 21:59
Thank you for those suggestions. Later yesterday evening I had an unwelcome event which clarified my thinking. I was getting rid of some of this horrendous wind when something wet and warm made an entrance. I was not pleased. However it was not what I expected but mucus. I thought about that for a while and decided that this escalation was unacceptable. The enema had made my gut uncomfortable from the first dose.

Today, for treatment six I used a water enema. It did all that was required and I cleared my rectum of poo and wind. I told the staff. They were at first concerned. They set me up for therapy and must have gained approval as the therapy went ahead. I have been so much more comfortable this evening. A more normal amount of wind and no protesting gut so that I felt really well. Of course the jel is more handy, but for me water is the thing.

Thank you for your kindness. I may yet need your suggestions. I tend to be alergic / sensitive to many things. George

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 12:11

The mucus suggests the R/T has touched & affected the gut. Do try & stay with low fibre diet to help. The nurses may prescribe something to help if gets sore.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 13:10

Why did I read this when having my lunch?!

Seriously, I hope your problems are sorted quickly, George.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2014 at 16:32  | Reason: Not specified

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 15:58

Sorry about your lunch, Sixfoottwo. did you manage to hold on to it or was it a complete write off ? My o my, but it does help to laugh when you are up to your eyes in s...er...trouble, doesn't it.

Yes I resolved it. The next day I brought my little kit and a bottle of water. That did the trick. Owned up to my display of independence. That put the fox in the chicken coop! Well, they must have got someone in the penthouse suite to give it the nod as the treatment went ahead with my lower tum as quiet and nice as anything.

The sequel? Of yes, must not forget the sequel. Clearly prudence would be the thing. So I grabbed a couple of panty liners (I ask you, the things we lads are reduced to ) anyway, a couple of panty liners and put them in my bag. One would be just the insurance I needed on the way home the next day.

Well the next day, when just about to use my own mini kit and water bottle, I was headed off at the pass. Nurse Patricia wished me to see Nurse Joan. Oops, that serious? Not the professional jollity and confidence I was used to. Nurse Joan was serious. In the end she admitted should she could not force me to use the jell but ... Well, I listened to her advice and I used my water enema. The treatment went ahead. I had contained my water well. Rather pleased with myself I set myself to be kind to bladder. Bladder was beginning to remind me he was still there and could do with some kindness. Contentedly I relaxed and bladder relaxed and ...Arrgh! not again." Next time," said rectum unkindly. "Sit down."

----------------

Please excuse a little author's license. The account is reasonably accurate and I shall sit down next time. The nurses were much kinder than suggested. They were concerned that the outcome of my treatment might be diminished. Nurse Joan did think that the mucus arose from the radiation and not the jell. I remained concerned that the reaction of my gut to the jell might cause serious trouble even although it was needed only 5 more times. The production of excess mucus I feared might be an example of how my gut reaction was adversely interacting with radiation therapy. There is no way to prove it one way or the other but I know me better than Nurse Joan knows me. I tend to react badly to many things others find wholly acceptable. There was no excess mucus the next day, just a little dirty water.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 21:59

I am lucky in that I have a fairly strong constitution. Hate to waste good food.

Glad you're sorted.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.