Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Prostrate Treatment

User
Posted 09 Nov 2014 at 16:28

Hello  everyone,

I have been a member of an online support group regarding Corneal Grafts for several years and have found it  very useful to talk to fellow sufferers-- in fact perhaps more useful than speaking to medical people who have not  had the treatment that we have had.

I now find that I may have prostrate cancer as my PSA reading has jumped from 5-6 to 11 on last 2 tests I have had BHP for    many years and have learned to live with it  but this is a further step    so have joined   this group for support & information. I am due     for tests at my local hospital  next Thursday 13th ( unlucky for some ?) I had a biopsy some 8 years ago & it was clear. I am  a fit 83 year old.

I found an interesting article in the Telegraph 2 days ago about  some small scale trials carried out at University College London NHS Foundation Trust   using High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound. No overnight stay was required & a 90% success rate was claimed without debilitating side effects.

NICE plan to state next week that the treatment is safe & effective & larger scale trials should go ahead. Good News!!

Regards Terry W.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2014 at 22:24

Hi tlw9,

It would seem that if tests are being done it may be that this will involve taking cores in a biopsy to check whether you have PCa and if so where it is and how far advanced it is. On the other hand, sometimes an MRI scan is given before biopsy at the imaging is clearer this way.

HIFU has been around for quite a few years. At one time it was approved by NICE but then they decided for NHS patients it should only be used in trials, as there was a dearth of long term data on it's effectiveness. NICE now seem happy with this treatment but it will not be suitable for every person. It may not be suitable for patients with an enlarged Prostate for example.

As it happens, I have been referred to the widely recognised UK expert on HIFU to see whether I am a suitable candidate for HIFU salvage treatment. It's a question of waiting as there are a backlog of patients awaiting this treatment with few UK centres doing it. As well as being used as a salvage treatment, some men for whom it is a suitable option, have have it as as their primary treatment.

Edited by member 11 Nov 2014 at 11:26  | Reason: Not specified

Barry