I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Refused Life Insurance??

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 13:55

Has anybody else been declined life insurance because of PC??

I have & apart from being on  blood pressure pills, PC is the only other thing on my records. Was at the hospital yesterday, PSA 0.02 so now i have to wait till they send my doc a decline letter up to 10 days. They will not tell me the reason & say make an appointment with your GP in 10 days & waste MORE of my GP timehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif

Any recommendations on life cover would be appreciated.

Thanks fenman

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 19:38

Hi Fenman,

Check out the over 50s life cover from the post office:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/life-insurance/over-50s-life-cover

I went with these guys because:

- No medical screening required

- Fixed term

- Guaranteeed lump sum (from natural causes or from an accident in the first 12 months)

I'm sure there are other insurers out there too.

flexi

User
Posted 11 Nov 2014 at 23:20

I don't really understand why you are surprised Fenman. Since John was diagnosed, we have been refused a mortgage and a remortgage because we will not be able to get life cover. It's the equivalent of asking for contents insurance after you have been burgled.

If for no other, this is a good reason not to go down the genetic testing route. When I had counselling in preparation for genetic testing, it was explained to me that if I did have a bad gene, it could lead to my children not being able to get mortgages or life insurance (or at least, not at an affordable price). Insurance companies are businesses, why would they cover someone who is more likely to make a claim, even if that likelihood is only statistical?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Nov 2014 at 13:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I don't really understand why you are surprised Fenman. Since John was diagnosed, we have been refused a mortgage and a remortgage because we will not be able to get life cover. It's the equivalent of asking for contents insurance after you have been burgled.

If for no other, this is a good reason not to go down the genetic testing route. When I had counselling in preparation for genetic testing, it was explained to me that if I did have a bad gene, it could lead to my children not being able to get mortgages or life insurance (or at least, not at an affordable price). Insurance companies are businesses, why would they cover someone who is more likely to make a claim, even if that likelihood is only statistical?

Hi LynEyre, my existing life insurance ran out 4 months back, surely i have more chance on the lottery than me dyeing from PC with my background over the last 2 years.

Is it general if you have had PC you will not get a competitive quote on life cover? Not having PC before its all new to me!

fenman

User
Posted 06 Mar 2015 at 14:20

Hi

I'd like to resurrect this thread please.

I too have been declined travel insurance cover; though I was advised that one or two underwriters may reconsider if I phone direct.

Typical prices for a 12 night European cruise is between £1000 and £3000'

The cruise is little more than this.

We do have general travel insurance, not covering PC, but that is not really now practicable as my condition has deteriorated, my current and planned treatments have changed, and my prognosis is not so good.

This means that we are now pretty much restricted to UK holidays, which due to my condition, and wife's mobility issues imposes further limitations.

Can anybody suggest :-

a. A possible insurance provider.

b. Some ideas of where to visit in the UK (we live in Derbyshire).

Thanks

User
Posted 06 Mar 2015 at 15:13

Hi Otto , You could ask your current insurer if they will extend cover for additional price.  We pay £50 extra for a year though my husband is not terminal.  

As for visits:  Lakes, Edinburgh, Highlands, Devon Cornwall, many companies offer travel by train .

Best wishes,El.