I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HOW DO YOU KNOW

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 09:00

Hi laid in bed this morning counting the flowers on the wall paper as you do , (get a life ) when i had this thought . How do you know when the every day aches  n pains are just that, and not the first  sine of spread .  Short of going to see  my GP once a week and spending more time than ever being looked at ,  is there something I can check or look for and then forget about it ? or not ,is DR GOOGLE  the only way? if it is I dont hold out much hope . I was given the ok last month PSA 0.5 told to see my GP in 6 mnths and out patients in 12 . What to do forget it and just get on and put the trimings up  or what?  any thoughts please 

Stewart       

. .                                                            

Edited by member 17 Nov 2014 at 06:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 16:00

I've no idea what your diagnosis details were ( hint - add to Profile ? ) but you are on HT and had R/T I understand. The R/T will still be effective & working away & the HT also. So a six month gap is not unusual at this time . I always have had three monthly psa tests but I did have to ask for that when I had finished the R/T. Your GP might agree to three monthly if you wish it.

Assuming psa stays at the low figure this sounds about usual protocol. You don't need to have P.Ca. to experience aches & pains as we get older. PSA is now your guide to any P.Ca. activity. i.e. don't worry unless it starts rising/doubling.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 18:37

Hi
I have all kinds of aches and pains, in my back, my hips etc etc. They come and go and as Rob says are probably all part of growing older. I know my lifestyle also contributes to my aches and pains eg sat at a computer at work, slouching on the settee etc

Following Adjuvent RT I was put on 6 monthly PSA tests that made me gulp at first but then I thought if I had a three month test and things were not right they would send me away and ask me to go back three months later.

The result is that I had a great summer not really giving PCa a second thought. I had my six monthly test in September which was fine ie dropped a bit further so now I am looking forward to Xmas and beyond before my next test.

Take care

Bri

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 16:00

I've no idea what your diagnosis details were ( hint - add to Profile ? ) but you are on HT and had R/T I understand. The R/T will still be effective & working away & the HT also. So a six month gap is not unusual at this time . I always have had three monthly psa tests but I did have to ask for that when I had finished the R/T. Your GP might agree to three monthly if you wish it.

Assuming psa stays at the low figure this sounds about usual protocol. You don't need to have P.Ca. to experience aches & pains as we get older. PSA is now your guide to any P.Ca. activity. i.e. don't worry unless it starts rising/doubling.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2014 at 18:37

Hi
I have all kinds of aches and pains, in my back, my hips etc etc. They come and go and as Rob says are probably all part of growing older. I know my lifestyle also contributes to my aches and pains eg sat at a computer at work, slouching on the settee etc

Following Adjuvent RT I was put on 6 monthly PSA tests that made me gulp at first but then I thought if I had a three month test and things were not right they would send me away and ask me to go back three months later.

The result is that I had a great summer not really giving PCa a second thought. I had my six monthly test in September which was fine ie dropped a bit further so now I am looking forward to Xmas and beyond before my next test.

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 17 Nov 2014 at 13:38

Stewart

As Rob implies, as long as the PSA stays low, then don't worry. At each PSA test see what the 'doubling' rate is, as that seems to be the next 'concerning' stage. Your current 0.5 is good, but what was it before?

Chris

PS. I haven't looked at your profile yet to see if you have up-dated it.

PPS, now looked at your profile, but what was your previous PSA reading before your current 0.5?

Edited by member 17 Nov 2014 at 13:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Nov 2014 at 06:33

Hi Chris thanks for the reply , had my first PSA test at sixty yrs old @1.9 June 2013 @12.0 Aug 2013 @12.5 then next test was Sept this yr on my return to see onco after 12 mths of treatment 0.5 is up to date thanks again STEWART

User
Posted 18 Nov 2014 at 16:33

Stewart,
Thanks.
So it is only a case of wait and see what your next reading is. So worry not until then.

Chris.