I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Hints & Tips

User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 16:42

Hi folks   I have just had my three Gold implants inserted today and I am due to start Radiotherapy on 15th December, 5 days a week for 7 weeks .I will be attending the Beatson in Glasgow about 20 miles from home and hope to drive there and back.Has anyone got Tips on Diet,Alcohol (I like the odd wine or two),Excercise and what you would consider essential to take with me..

John.s
User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 19:40

John I think the advice regarding diet and alcohol varies. I had a Low fibre diet sheet but was told only to commit to it if I developed problems. I didn't drink much alcohol during RT but they again said ok in moderation and if no problems

Make sure you plan your route so there are toilet stops in case of bad traffic etc..empty your bladder before you leave the hospital

I only had 20 days RT but got through it fine with no adverse side effects

Bri

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 10:47
Hi John

Good advice from Bri. I was told to adopt a low fibre diet, and administer a mini enema prior to each treatment, but this does seem to vary from hospital to hospital.

I travelled 140 miles round trip every day for 7 weeks, and also found that the best thing for me was to firstly plan my route and take note of the stop off points (toilet stop) I would then empty my bladder prior to leaving the hospital and stopping after about 30 min to go again, even if you think you can hold on, as accidents on motorways etc do happen and you don't want to be stuck in a traffic jam with nowhere to go, so for this reason also have a bottle handy if needed.

Good Luck

It will fly by.

Roy

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 22:39

John was told absolutely no alcohol for the duration of the RT and nothing fizzy. He kept an Oasis juice bottle in the car in case of urgent need to pee (the top of an Oasis bottle being larger than for coke or Pepsi and therefore easier to stick your penis into without getting out of the driver's seat.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 13:32

Hi John, I never stopped going to the pub during radiotherapy and kept up my running when I could. But everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for you.

I can confirm it is very useful to know the location of all public toilets along your route and that a bottle - I used a plastic milk bottle - in the car is very useful for emergencies.

I also carried spare underpants and trousers after a couple of very near misses.

Tom

Edited by member 22 Nov 2014 at 13:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 18:36

We have a "survival bag" in the car, have done for years.
It contains Cereal bars, small cartons of pure juice, and cheese biscuits.
As well as a URIWELL personal urinal. Its a unisex, concertina shaped item, that folds very small into its box. It has a snap sealable top.
They are available on Amazon for about £9 if you are a prime member. I think I got it on Ebay.
The family laugh at my Doomsday bag but it has come in very handy over the years for all sorts of reasons.
A wide necked milk bottle would be just as effective of course.
Having something like that in the car is for peace of mind and confidence.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2014 at 19:40

John I think the advice regarding diet and alcohol varies. I had a Low fibre diet sheet but was told only to commit to it if I developed problems. I didn't drink much alcohol during RT but they again said ok in moderation and if no problems

Make sure you plan your route so there are toilet stops in case of bad traffic etc..empty your bladder before you leave the hospital

I only had 20 days RT but got through it fine with no adverse side effects

Bri

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 09:31

Thanks Bri  my problem is that 2/3 of the journey is motorway and it still takes 45 mins to an hour to get there ,I have not been given any info about diet yet maybe get that at my simulator appointment  on 3rd December again thanks Bri. .

John.s
User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 10:47
Hi John

Good advice from Bri. I was told to adopt a low fibre diet, and administer a mini enema prior to each treatment, but this does seem to vary from hospital to hospital.

I travelled 140 miles round trip every day for 7 weeks, and also found that the best thing for me was to firstly plan my route and take note of the stop off points (toilet stop) I would then empty my bladder prior to leaving the hospital and stopping after about 30 min to go again, even if you think you can hold on, as accidents on motorways etc do happen and you don't want to be stuck in a traffic jam with nowhere to go, so for this reason also have a bottle handy if needed.

Good Luck

It will fly by.

Roy

User
Posted 20 Nov 2014 at 22:39

John was told absolutely no alcohol for the duration of the RT and nothing fizzy. He kept an Oasis juice bottle in the car in case of urgent need to pee (the top of an Oasis bottle being larger than for coke or Pepsi and therefore easier to stick your penis into without getting out of the driver's seat.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 09:37

Thanks Roy and Lynn A good point about the water bottle never thought of that and Roy a 140 mile round trip makes my journey look nothing if someone can manage that then I have have nothing to worry about well done m8

John.s
User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 13:32

Hi John, I never stopped going to the pub during radiotherapy and kept up my running when I could. But everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for you.

I can confirm it is very useful to know the location of all public toilets along your route and that a bottle - I used a plastic milk bottle - in the car is very useful for emergencies.

I also carried spare underpants and trousers after a couple of very near misses.

Tom

Edited by member 22 Nov 2014 at 13:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 17:11

Thanks for all these tips guys i start my RT in Feb. and only have a 30 minute drive but will will get a bottle just in case

User
Posted 22 Nov 2014 at 18:36

We have a "survival bag" in the car, have done for years.
It contains Cereal bars, small cartons of pure juice, and cheese biscuits.
As well as a URIWELL personal urinal. Its a unisex, concertina shaped item, that folds very small into its box. It has a snap sealable top.
They are available on Amazon for about £9 if you are a prime member. I think I got it on Ebay.
The family laugh at my Doomsday bag but it has come in very handy over the years for all sorts of reasons.
A wide necked milk bottle would be just as effective of course.
Having something like that in the car is for peace of mind and confidence.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails