I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mustn't grumble!

User
Posted 25 Nov 2014 at 14:52

Oh well, I'm now 10 weeks post my open prostatectomy and now back at work.  I saw the consultant for the histology last week who said basically that they had almost got all of it out but there was just a small amount (literally millimetres) left.  Gleason remained at 3 + 4 and he confirmed it wasn't an agressive form of PCa.  He got a blood sample taken and my G.P. has told me that that has come up as a PSA of 0.03.  I've got my 3 month PSA due on 16/12.

On the one hand, I'm a tad sad that there is still a bit left, but on the other hand, I'm pretty relieved that the PSA looks like it's going in the right direction - with all the usual caveats of 'for the time being', etc.

Guess I just have to sit it out and see where this goes ... if anywhere, and take what action becomes necessary, if, as and when it does.

Meanwhile, I rather feel l need to try to get on and deal with other issues in my life.

I do feel a lot better psychologically for getting back into the daily 'structure' of working life. I'm really not - and have never been - a very patient patient.

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 23 Jun 2015 at 21:54

I had my prostate taken out by robot in April and am back to normal again, well near 'normal' I think! I like you decided to stop being a patient from the 1st June and I tested my health by hiking and camping for the next 7 days on Offas Dyke path. I felt great, my bladder still proved to be a bit weak but only when I was hiking downhill! A sudden heavy movement, a quick body turn to stay upright or a little jump sidestep was, drats, just enough to squeeze a drip out! Its easy in the country, no one around, just stand there and have a wee.

I live in a city and recently had to have my car MOT'd. Drove to the garage and decided to walk the four miles home. Half a mile from home had a sudden urge to go. I was urrounded by houses, people and cars, the pressure was on me, would I make it home or not?

I couldn't make it, all I could do was to dive behind somebodies wheely bin!

I'm retired so do not have to go back to work, I would HATE to go back to work!

All the best.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2015 at 08:55

As long as you are being carefully monitored Doikosp, that's the main thing.
Glad you have managed to get back to a "structured" lifestyle it all helps one to feel normal" doesn't it.

Good luck with those future PSA results. At least you are well aware of some cancer being left behind instead of it coming back to bite you when you least expect it.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails