I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What treatment Help Please

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 09:57

Hi everyone, I am 58 married and was diagnosed Christmas Eve 2010 and have been on Active Survailance since. Had an MRI in August and my last biopsy in September and the follow up with consultant I was told the cancer had advanced but was still within the prostate. The consultant has said that I should proceed with treatment and I will be seeing him again this week to discuss further.  My concern is what treatment should I go for as it is localised.  I have heard Brachytherapy is probably the best as it is still localised within the prostate, I do have the literature from this site covering all the treatments etc. but it is confusing for me.  What I don't want to happen is to feel pressured in to something I may regret.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by member 08 Apr 2015 at 07:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 14:37

This may not help you but you may hear from a few men who have done well ranging to badly on various treatments. They are not necessarily representative of treatment results generally which could be different for varying patient situations anyway. There is no substitute for carefully researching the different treatments and possible side effects. Some men would consider they wanted the most effective treatment to hopefully eradicate the cancer albeit with higher risk of side effects. Other men might opt for treatment with least risk of side effects but with less chance of cure. You have to consider where you priorities lie.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 15:50

It is very difficult to make a choice of treatment. I still haven't been able to make that decision despite some very helpful advice on here and other sites, and that's in 2 months of researching all options available to me. The results after 10 years are about the same too which makes it even more tricky. I am probably now around 75% leaning towards Brachytherapy because of the lesser after effects. Good luck in whatever you decide.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 21:10

Pete

I read this article today, it is a trial so may not be available, a lot of treatments claim to have little or no side effects but from experience when you look into them, there are no guarantees. 

Thanks Chris

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2863455/Men-suffering-prostate-cancer-saved-impotence-3D-tracker.html

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 23:03

Two things strike me about this article - Prof Emberton says 50% of men are currently left with ED following treatment, which is a far higher statistic than the hospitals usually own up to, and there are 100,000 biopsies each year and 40,000 diagnosed so 60% of men undergoing biopsy get the all clear.

Begs the question, why is ED a shock for some men? Not enough is done at those pre-surgical appointments to make sure men and their partners understand how likely it is that they will have problems afterwards.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard