Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Night time urinary problems

User
Posted 23 Dec 2014 at 20:40
Merry Christmas fellow travellers.

Just a question for the technical minded amongst us. John's night time visits have gone up from four to at least ten a night, with urgency but failure to empty and actually sometimes, inability to go at all. It does seem to improve when standing up (he often sits down on the loo at night as his aim is poor he tells me). It's fine in the day but lots and lots of visits are necessary. He is on Tamulosin.

Any thoughts on the cause?

Cheers all

Allison

User
Posted 27 Dec 2014 at 19:35
Hi Allison

it may be that John has to live with it but is it worth getting an opinion from his urologist before accepting that

Bri

User
Posted 27 Dec 2014 at 23:16

Yes definitely get the opinion of a urologist to establish reason for this and to help mitigate if possible. And suggest this is done asap.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2014 at 10:04
Allison, I would call your CNS for Urology and explain it to them. It could still be an infection so that needs to be ruled out first but more likely given that the urge to go has increased quite rapidly it could be the prostate pressing against the urethra. If it is this tablets will only reduce the symptom John may need a TURP. When Mick had his it resolved the problem almost immediately. The return to near normal night time sleep made things so much better too.

xxx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 28 Dec 2014 at 17:05

My OH too is increasingly needing to urinate a lot more frequently, and also plays it down on visits to onco or GP, I suspect he doesn't want to go down the TURP route.

He doesn't sleep well or for long periods. As Devonmaid says, another annoying thing to live with!

Glen

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Dec 2014 at 01:35

Don't know how long it has taken to get from 4 to 10 times but it could be due to urinary infection. Might be an idea to have sample tested and if positive get anti-biotics prescribed or get medical view on why this is happening. I am also on tamsulosin ( been on it for at least 15 years now but still get up twice a night most nights). Anyway, my urinary frequency began to increase a few weeks back and this (perhaps coincidentally), coincided with a chest infection for which my GP gave me a course of anti-biotics. Strange thing is it got my urinary visits back on track so I believe I also had a UTI. As regards aim, when men have a reasonable stream the urine is expelled with a slight twist and the stream stays largely together. If only a small amount is passed, maybe because a real need is felt rather than the necessity, there is a tendency for the urine to spray about somewhat, just as sometimes happens after intercourse. when some semen residue can affect the stream. Another reason for men having to return to the toilet again soon, is that they do not completely empty their bladder. This may be because there is a small pouch in the bladder where urine is not readily expelled (bladder diverticulum). I have one of these and it gives rise to an increased chance of urinary infection. Although the natural feeling is to drink less so as to reduce visits to the toilet, one should in fact drink more water to help dilute the urine and help flush it away.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Dec 2014 at 17:29
Thanks Barry

I did consider a UTI but it doesn't seem likely, he has no pain or anything. It has quickly gone from four to ten times a night. He saw the GP a couple of days ago and to my fury, downplayed it. Apparently the GP said there is another drug he could try but best to save it for later (!!!), that may be John's interpretation of course, he hates taking all these drugs. My suspicion is that the Prostate itself is causing it, maybe irritating the bladder and making him feel like he needs to go.

Oh well, it's just another of those irritating things to live with it seems.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 27 Dec 2014 at 19:35
Hi Allison

it may be that John has to live with it but is it worth getting an opinion from his urologist before accepting that

Bri

User
Posted 27 Dec 2014 at 23:16

Yes definitely get the opinion of a urologist to establish reason for this and to help mitigate if possible. And suggest this is done asap.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2014 at 10:04
Allison, I would call your CNS for Urology and explain it to them. It could still be an infection so that needs to be ruled out first but more likely given that the urge to go has increased quite rapidly it could be the prostate pressing against the urethra. If it is this tablets will only reduce the symptom John may need a TURP. When Mick had his it resolved the problem almost immediately. The return to near normal night time sleep made things so much better too.

xxx

Mandy Mo

User
Posted 28 Dec 2014 at 15:24
Thanks Guys

John is in some.pain in hip pelvic bone (illiac bone), the flat bone across the back, he has a large met in there and we suspect it might be the Cancer getting active again. Thanks Mandy, for the chat this morning, it really helps to talk these things through. A chat with the CNS will be forthcoming I think.

Thanks my forum friends, it is always good to talk to you wise and kindly people

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 28 Dec 2014 at 17:05

My OH too is increasingly needing to urinate a lot more frequently, and also plays it down on visits to onco or GP, I suspect he doesn't want to go down the TURP route.

He doesn't sleep well or for long periods. As Devonmaid says, another annoying thing to live with!

Glen

User
Posted 29 Dec 2014 at 02:14

Out of step with the others but my guess is that John is sleeping more lightly because of the pain and this has led him to develop a habit - he wakes, thinks about weeing so gets up but then finds he doesn't really need to go. He gets back to bed, sleeps a little but before he is into that deep sleep stage, he half-wakes and thinks about weeing again. If a DRE and urine test come back clear, it might be worth either a) putting a waterproof sheet on the bed and encouraging him to try to ignore it & go back to sleep if possible or b) ask whether he can try a gentle sleeping tablet to break the habit.

PS not all UTIs cause pain

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard