Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Reducing the risks of PCa recurrence

User
Posted 24 Dec 2014 at 11:50

Hi All,

Following on from NikonSteve's post, I wondered if anyone can shed any light on any lifestyle changes that can reduce the risk of post-operative or post-RT treatment recurrence.

I know that a generally healthy lifesytle is recommended, and there's some stuff about control of abnormal lipid levels being beneficial, though I'm not clear if that is truly proven as yet.

And I guess that anything that promotes PCa occurrence e.g. (red meat and dairy rich diet) in the first place may well promote PCa recurrence.

(My OH spent a lot of time in Thailand and nearly always has soya rather than dairy milk, so this year it'll be soya 'cream' on the Christmas pud for both of us!)

Anyone got other thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Life is a journey. You can't move forward on a journey AND stay in the same place.
User
Posted 24 Dec 2014 at 18:18

I think you do what feels right for you. A balanced diet is healthy anyway.

As you are aware there are different views on diet. I have personally cut back on red meat and dairy but still indulge to some degree. There are thoughts that cutting back on these foods and eating more cooked tomatoes may help to fend off developing Pca in the first place.

There also has to be consideration given to the quality of life. Remember we on this forum are a tiny minority so our views won't represent the true population

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 24 Dec 2014 at 19:24

Since I had my prostatectomy a year ago, I've followed a pretty rigid "anti-PCa" diet (drawn from many sources and as Bri says, what feels right).

My PSA remains undetectable but I don't know if this is because i) all the cancer was removed with the prostate, ii) the cancer cells that are still left are yet to show their presence iii) my dietary changes are keeping any remaining little blighters at bay.

Therefore, only time will tell as to whether putting soya milk on my muesli (fortifide with every anti-oxidant nut, seed and berry you can think of) and drinking copious amounts of green tea and a litre of pomegranate juice a week have been worthwhile.

The downside I find in following a strict regime is that, I now deny myself some of the things I used to eat, not wishing to upset (as I think I could) the good results so far - crazy really.

Flexi

User
Posted 24 Dec 2014 at 20:00

Yep that's the problem....its a bit like knowing your lottery numbers and then stop buying the lottery tickets

personally flexi I would put my money on your PSA being so low due to a sucessful operation .

Bri