I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Water Retention

User
Posted 07 Jan 2015 at 22:23

My father (86) is on HT and is coping well.  Some hair loss, but generally carrying on as before.  PSA has been declining.

However, he is now retaining fluid in his abdomen, and his stomach is distended.  I have been told this isn't a good sign.  Could this be associated with HT or is it more likely a different problem?

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 00:42

Sf2, it will be no surprise to you that more info is probably needed. Has your dad had previous treatment that could have affected his pelvic lymph nodes, such as RP or RT? Does he have heart failure? Are his legs also swollen? Does he take water tablets? Could there be a blockage? How do you know it is fluid retention and not another medical problem?

Depending on the answers, he could have lymphoedema or the heart failure could be becoming critical - if the swelling started at his feet and has risen to his belly, I would get him seen without delay as his organs could be under enormous pressure. In fact, regardless of the questions above, if he were my dad I would be insisting the GP sees him first thing in the morning. I don't think you can mess around if there is any vagueness about the cause.

When Stan's fluid retention turned his toes and then legs into sausages, and then his groin area into a big pudding, the doctors drew a biro line on his chest and told us that if the fluid retention reached that line we needed to phone 999. Probably not what you need to hear right now but better safe than sorry.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 00:46

PS I could be wrong but have never come across this as a possible SE of HT. Also, when you say PSA is declining, what exactly do you mean? Is the HT new enough to his body for the lowered PSA to be simply evidence of the treatment working or is this a surprising drop? Bear in mind that although rare, there are occasions when declining PSA is an indicator of increasing aggressiveness.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 16:13

Thanks Lyn

There is no history of heart problems, and he is very fit for his age. My mother has severe short term memory loss, so looking after her could be beginning to take its toll.

I will ask him about his feet when I next talk to him. I'm not aware of any problem there. He's been on HT for about 12 months, with a slow decline in PSA, which is around 5, the lowest it has been for some years. I am not aware of issues with tiredness or hot flushes, which I have asked him about.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Jan 2015 at 20:51
Hello
Just a thought, are you sure it's not just the weight gain associated with the HT, it goes around the belly and most men get it.

Kind regards
Allison