I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Small cell lung cancer.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 00:06

After diagnosis 5 years ago with advanced PCa I was shocked recently to be told that I had a nodule growing in my lung. My oncologist was concerned that the PCa was behaving irraticly . My last scan in October showed mataseses had spread to spine,ribs,shoulder,right shin and left foot. Things moved quickly in November and by the 12th I had seen the surgeon and was booked in for a lung resection. The surgeon removed the nodule by way of a Vats (keyhole) and it was sent off for analysis whilst I waited on the table. The result was inconclusive. The surgeon is certain he has removed all the damaged lung but more tests would be needed. Two weeks later and the worst was confirmed. Small cell lung cancer. Still convinced he had removed all the damaged tissue he ordered a Pet scan. I had a pet scan at new year and will hear the result Monday. Then it's decision time again.

Edited by member 09 Jan 2015 at 22:29  | Reason: Not specified

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 13 Jan 2015 at 23:43

With much trepidation, I went along for the results of my Pet scan. I was going to see a surgeon, so my mind was set on him telling me how he was going to remove bits or all of my lung. However, he sat me down and talked me through the scan, which was all a bit of a blur. All I heard was 'it's gone' . 'We got it all at the first attempt'. The scan revealed that there was no further small cell in any of the soft tissues in the Abdo/Pelvic area. And, what was in the lung was gone. With skilfull use of the scalpel he had managed to remove all of the tumour. To say I was happy is an understatement. I managed a few scoops last night which made me ecstatic ! I can't beleive how lucky I have been, due, in no small part to the foresight of my oncologist. I have another pet scan in 3 months just as a belt and braces job, but, for the time being I'm on cloud nine.

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 10:10
Mike

I am so sorry to hear that things have moved this way, I really hope the results are good on Monday. Is the small cell cancer in your lung a spread or is this a new independent cancer? It all seems so very unfair. I think your onco deserves a medal for thinking ahead and deciding something was amiss so that it all got checked out quickly.

I will be thinking of you on Monday

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 19:57
Oh Mike

That's horrible news for you to hear. As you know (probably) small cell lung cancer has a propensity to appear as Prostate cancer, we have had a fair few members who had been diagnosed with Pca and then been told it was actually small cell and a few who did have PCA and then went on to be diagnosed with small cell too.

As Mo says, you have one in a million in your consultant and he/she will no doubt do their utmost for you. Fingers crossed they got the nasty thing in the operation.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 23:03
Mke

that explains a lot ..all my best wishes for Monday

xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 10:41

Mike,
that's what I call a good result!
Great news and let's hope there is more in three months time.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 11:43

Brilliant - not just for you, but just imagine being the surgeon feels. Job satisfaction at its finest.

Keep well!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 13:33
Mike I am so happy for you nice one la.

I bet your oncologist is up there with Stevie G on the top man list.

At the end of the storm there is a golden sky

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:53
What fantastic news - I'm thrilled for you,

Best wishes

Allison

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 22:52

So pleased for you !

Fiona.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 20:52

Just to say I'm sorry to see you back here Mike with bad news

I hope ( No, I'm sure - you'll get a lot of helpful replies)

Keep on hanging on there Mike

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 21:10

Things have moved on a lot since 2015. As you are aware, chemo used to only be given to men with PCa in the final stages of the disease because it does not cure prostate cancer. However, research a couple of years ago showed that having chemo early can, for some men, dramatically improve the effectiveness of hormone treatment including abiraterone. We have a number of members here who have had chemo + abi or chemo + enzalutimide.

BUT, and it's a big but, would the chemo they offer you for the SCLC be the same chemo that they use to treat prostate cancer? Worth checking?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 22:24

It may be a no brainer then?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 12:25

Thanks for the replies. Lynn , I think you are right. Chemotherapy first and then see what transpires, thank you.

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 10:10
Mike

I am so sorry to hear that things have moved this way, I really hope the results are good on Monday. Is the small cell cancer in your lung a spread or is this a new independent cancer? It all seems so very unfair. I think your onco deserves a medal for thinking ahead and deciding something was amiss so that it all got checked out quickly.

I will be thinking of you on Monday

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 19:57
Oh Mike

That's horrible news for you to hear. As you know (probably) small cell lung cancer has a propensity to appear as Prostate cancer, we have had a fair few members who had been diagnosed with Pca and then been told it was actually small cell and a few who did have PCA and then went on to be diagnosed with small cell too.

As Mo says, you have one in a million in your consultant and he/she will no doubt do their utmost for you. Fingers crossed they got the nasty thing in the operation.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 21:08

Mo
the Small cell is/was a primary lung malignancy. Rare, but not unknown. The normal procedure after a lung resection (Wedge) and given the histology, is to remove the lobe (Lobectomy)or, a bit more drastic, is to remove the lung. I have also been given to option of Adjuvant chemotherapy. Therein lies a problem, how will the chemo react with the Aberaterone ? Should I stop the Abby tab to have the chemo ? If, as the surgeon said, the cancer has been removed, would I be better having the lung removed, to stop any further spread ? Thereby staying with the Abby tab, which for the last 6 months has been holding the PSA at 3.8. Decisions !

I am fortunate with my Oncologist, he's a top man. The lung nodule was only 8mm, and, in normal circumstances would not have been detected. It was only the fact I was having a CT scan for the PCa that it was shown up. Even so, people I spoke to on the ward had an average mass of 10 cm !

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 09 Jan 2015 at 23:03
Mke

that explains a lot ..all my best wishes for Monday

xx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Jan 2015 at 23:43

With much trepidation, I went along for the results of my Pet scan. I was going to see a surgeon, so my mind was set on him telling me how he was going to remove bits or all of my lung. However, he sat me down and talked me through the scan, which was all a bit of a blur. All I heard was 'it's gone' . 'We got it all at the first attempt'. The scan revealed that there was no further small cell in any of the soft tissues in the Abdo/Pelvic area. And, what was in the lung was gone. With skilfull use of the scalpel he had managed to remove all of the tumour. To say I was happy is an understatement. I managed a few scoops last night which made me ecstatic ! I can't beleive how lucky I have been, due, in no small part to the foresight of my oncologist. I have another pet scan in 3 months just as a belt and braces job, but, for the time being I'm on cloud nine.

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 10:41

Mike,
that's what I call a good result!
Great news and let's hope there is more in three months time.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 11:43

Brilliant - not just for you, but just imagine being the surgeon feels. Job satisfaction at its finest.

Keep well!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 13:33
Mike I am so happy for you nice one la.

I bet your oncologist is up there with Stevie G on the top man list.

At the end of the storm there is a golden sky

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 18:53
What fantastic news - I'm thrilled for you,

Best wishes

Allison

User
Posted 14 Jan 2015 at 22:52

So pleased for you !

Fiona.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 20:40

Well, after 3 years the small cell lung cancer is back.
My PCa is stable with no spread to soft tissue organs. No increase in bone metastases. PSA is now 6.2 so all in all a fairly stable disease. Then the shock that there is increased activity in the left lung. 3 years after a lung resection which removed a diseased nodule from the lung It has remained clear. Then todays news that it has returned.
I have, over the years refused chemotherapy on the basis that it would do me no good with only having Mets and no soft tissue/organ spread.
Now I am faced with a dilemma that I would like advice on.
Do I have chemotherapy for the SCLC ?
OR
Do I opt for surgery again, with either a lobectomy to remove a lobe or a Pneumonectomy to remove the whole lung ?

I understand the choice is mine but wondered if anyone had been in this situation
Thanks in advance

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 20:52

Just to say I'm sorry to see you back here Mike with bad news

I hope ( No, I'm sure - you'll get a lot of helpful replies)

Keep on hanging on there Mike

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 21:10

Things have moved on a lot since 2015. As you are aware, chemo used to only be given to men with PCa in the final stages of the disease because it does not cure prostate cancer. However, research a couple of years ago showed that having chemo early can, for some men, dramatically improve the effectiveness of hormone treatment including abiraterone. We have a number of members here who have had chemo + abi or chemo + enzalutimide.

BUT, and it's a big but, would the chemo they offer you for the SCLC be the same chemo that they use to treat prostate cancer? Worth checking?

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 22:07

Thank you for the replies.

Lyn , with SCLC you often have either cisplatin or carboplatin with one of these drugs:

• etoposide
• vinorelbine • gemcitabine • paclitaxel
• docetaxel
• pemetrexed.

Thanks

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 22:24

It may be a no brainer then?

User
Posted 15 Jan 2018 at 12:25

Thanks for the replies. Lynn , I think you are right. Chemotherapy first and then see what transpires, thank you.

Nec Aspera Terrant

Difficulties Be Dammed