Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Running and exercise

User
Posted 17 Jan 2015 at 16:35

Do we have many runners, bikers or other gymnasts in our group.

I run 10K and Half Marathons usually around Yorkshire but did run the 2013 London Marathon and would like to try it again.

I've just started HT treatment (10 days) and whilst I must have had this PCa for some time my running times improved last year.

If there's any other runners or bikers who would like to exchange experiences I'd appreciate the support.

I'm pretty convinced that besides diet that exercising has to be good in the fight against the PCa.

Paul

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 12:14

There are a few runners on here and rather more who are keen cyclists. I don't think there are any official statistics but based on the membership of this forum, I would say that those who are very fit and engage in regular and challenging sport (as opposed to 10 mins in the gym and then an hour in the steam room) tend to cope better with the hormone treatment. Check threads by Alarhays (continued playing rugby for a long time after the most dreadful diagnosis), Old Al (practically wheelchair dependent until he took up swimming), Chris B I think. A rather different situation but my John continued with rugby, road cycling and gym throughout RT/HT although he did decide to give up the HT early because he couldn't bear how it made him feel.

What I would say is that if you are going to do a lot of cycling, you should consider investing in one of the new prostate-friendly saddles - there is quite a lot of data indicating that PCa is more prevalent in keen bikers, that cycling raises the PSA and that normal saddles may in some way be massaging the prostate. Weigh that against the knowledge that regular exercise helps to overcome the loss of testosterone and the fact that your muscles are likely to waste somewhat, muscle behaviours are going to become more like a woman's, tendons and ligaments will loosen so you may be more susceptible to tears and strains, HT may cause quite debilitating breathlessness and fatigue is very, very common. 'Listen to your body' is of course good advice but you need to listen honestly so that if your body starts screaming 'this isn't okay' you actually listen rather than carry on on the basis that it is something you were able to do before!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 06:52
Hi Paul, glad there is another runner here at last( in the nicest way) .

I run lots, in 2014 I did a couple of marathons and lots of smaller races, the big one was 100k non stop London to Brighton in 15 hours, fantastic.

In June 2014 I entered the Brighton marathion for April 2015 and "the wall" 110k race from Carlisle to Gateshead along Hadrians Wall. My best marathon time was my last 3 hours 47 age 49.

I was diagnosed Gleson 9 T4M1N1a October 2014. I have still run, I started chemo this week, however and that has been a bit of a game changer although I did 5 miles Friday. My head says that cycle week 1 don't run much just walk, week 2 do a bit and week 3 back to full running. I know that by the Brighton marathon I will be on week 14 of chemo and who knows what that will mean, as for the wall race we'll probably not gonna happen however........

My oncologist says he had never been asked the question about long distance running before but after much thought has told me I can run as much as I want as long as my body wants to ( a bit dangerous for me as mind over matter is how you get through marathons as the body always wants to stop!!) so that is what I will do, we have discussed diet which is now more vegetable less meat( in general) my only concern is dairy which I have reduced a lot but I am not sure if I am getting enough calcium for my bones although I am eating calcium rich veg. He agrees with you as do I, the fitter I am the better by body will fight it.

Like you I must have had PC for some time and like you my times were better last year although just before diagnosis I had a 5 min per hour reduction in speed. I live in Surrey so sorry we won't meet and reading what I have just written it's all me rather than you but I agree with your stance, listen to your body, eat all the right stuff and something I am rubbish at do the RICE but in full after every run, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation ie sit with your feet up, frozen peas strapped to your calves over some compression or dot flight socks, it really makes a difference in recovery. Today is a good day

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 10:41
Hi Paul

When dad was diagnosed back in 2012 I encouraged him to join the gym as we were of the same thinking that the fitter he was the better his body could help fight the cancer. He now goes to the gym a couple of times a week and he bought a bike and goes cycling once a week. He doesn't do long distances and he still has to walk up a few hills but he really enjoys it. We quite often go for a bike/run on a weekend, me running and dad following on his bike so a good chance for us to spend some time together too. Exercising has certainly helped with his wellbeing and brought his blood pressure down if nothing else.

Best wishes

Sarah

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 15:10

Until my prostate removal in April 2015 I was a 69 yr old 5-6 days a week off road runner. I also hike and camp long distance routes such as The Pennine Way, etc as well. Now that I am 70 and post op, I have kept up the hiking and camping but I will not resume running until mid-Sepember 2015. No particular reason, but as I'm due to hike the full length of the Pyrenees in mid July 2015 I decided for now to just concentrate on the hiking.

I walk one of my old off road routes almost every day so I am still in touch with running but for the moment I am just 'doing running in my head' whilst I stroll along!

I believe that the fitter you are and no excess weight before an operation the easier it is to cope with, I think it worked for me.

It also bought home to me something my mother used to say to us, if you like getting up in the morning and look forward to each new day this will always help to deal positivly with the day to day and the more serious problems of life. I have always loved getting up in the morning, rain, snow or shine!

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 05:43

hi bri

not tring to blow my own trumpet but I am a uka level 3 coach, what you are doing on the treadmill is what is called interval training, that is running set distance or time at slower followed by faster paced running

the backbone of any distance running (anyrun over a mile) is endurance, this is achieved by runs that are less than your target race but at a constant pace that feels easy, (which in our cases is not always that easy), or just going out to get a time in on run, interval or fartlek sessions are used to help to increase your pace, and should only be run twice a week.

I run 6 days a week

if I was training for a half my longest run would be 10miles and always after a rest day, or 90mins and not worry about the distance.

3 other days at distances between 4-6 miles

2 days doing interval/fartlek running or a temp run   fartlek is a Swedish word it means to run and just increase and decrease speed as you feel no set time or distance

to be able to run further or faster you need to train/learn your body to do this its a gradual thing

tempo run is running at a faster pace then normal but you can only utter the odd word

interval runs are set times or distance where say 2mins is very easy and 2mins fast not sprinting but quicker than a tempo run, repeat each 2mins or you could use qtr miles instead of 2mins, if you find you have to walk the easy bit then you are running the fast part to quick

nidge

Edited by member 07 Jul 2015 at 07:16  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 14 Jul 2015 at 21:56
I hope no one reads this as me blowing my own trumpet but I wanted to share with you what can be done despite having the last 6 months on chemo and then RT that finished last Tuesday as I want to encourage others just to try to do some exercise even if it's just getting out of bed to make a cup of coffee.

Over the weekend I completed a 100k (or 62 mile) race over two days (Race to the Stones), it took me 14 hours and 42 minutes and I came 99th out of 483 competitors and 9th out of 32 men in their 50s.

On the day of my diagnosis I thought I would never run again and when I had my first dose of chemo thought that I would never go out again but with a positive attitude despite what was going on and getting of lightly with side effects I have achieved something that I thought was now out of my reach.

So what next ? Well I have entered the Marathon Des Sables in April next year see link below if you have not heard of it:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-rPaBMTIc

In a nutshell, it is 150 odd miles over 6 days in the Sahara carrying everything from day one to the end apart from your tent and water (given to you in 1.5 litre quotas every 10k). In due course I will of course be looking to raise a few quid for our favourite charity but for now I hope that I can inspire as many of you as possible to believe that you can still do something awesome as I do despite being T4M1N1a.

The training is brutal enough (I ran 205 miles in June with the race 10 months away still) but I guess it is the one thing on my bucket list so it's worth it.

Please post anything any of you achieve no matter how big or small as it is all relative to someone.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 14 Jul 2015 at 22:46

Well done Kev. What an achievement

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 00:55

Kev,

Well done.

Steve

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 05:46

irun will be chaning his name shortly to inutter

seriously though you amaze me

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 07:57

Kev,

was that the run that Jenson Button was involved with, or Vassos Alexander from Radio 2?

And following your chat with me about running, and how to run correctly, I watched numerous U Tube videos, and I am back at it, feel tired, knackered actually, but absolutely great, and not so damp due to the interval training. I have controller bursts of 2 minutes a 11.5kph. SO good I have ordered a fresh pair of New Balance shoes so I will fly. Yeah, right!

Maybe you could start a thread updating your preparation and progress for your uber "Jog In The Sand"?

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 09:42
Kev

you really are such an inspiration to people here and anywhere else in your life. I am absolutley certain nobody here would think you were blowing your own trumpet, what you are doing is awesome, incredible and heroic.

I know that the big race is 10 months away so I really hope that for once a reality TV show could be just that REALITY and that PCUK or someone else involved could capture this throughout your training and how you mentally prepare to give the world a glimpse of the whole preparation and race itself.I am sure it would provide a huge amount of the right publicity for Men Utd and would rasie public awareness better than any other thing I can think of. It could also be a massive fundraiser too. I somehow think that the race organisation may not allow that as I believe, through necessity, it is incredibly strict on rules and regulations.

I listened to Sir Ranulph Fiennes talking on the radio after this years race and thought how crazy he was but there again he is an adventurer and likes a challenge just like you. I am a little worried about the camels chasing you but I guess they move slower than I think (I certainly hope so or Kevirun would become Kevflatpack!!)

When you start raising your sponsorship I will be right there as I know many, many others from this forum will be.

You have my total respect

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 11:13

What about starting your just giving page now?

Mo has a good idea, there is a really good story in this, surely someone could pick up on it and run ( pun groan :-( ) with it?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 11:31

now does nikonsteve have any contacts, just a thought

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 19:15
Thanks for the encouragement.

To be fair PCUK are on the case but I said that having fleeced my contacts for my 2 chemo marathons (I raised £21k) i thought I would wait until September/ October to launch next years fund raising.

Rest assured I will raise the profile for my fund raising in a couple of months and will bore you all silly with my training regime. At this stage I need to lose 10kg and run 60miles a week, it builds from there!

The real point of my posting is that pc affects us all differently and whilst others thoughts are always good we each have a responsibility to ourselves and our family to push a little bit and never give up trying.

Kev

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 21:55
Kev

I hope you start a new thread dedicated to your challenge you could call for ideas on what the title should be I will donate "a prize" of 50 quid in the name of the person who comes up with the best idea on your just giving page when you set it up.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 21:36
Paul

I will let one of the serious runners answer your running issues.

The drugs you are taking or being injected with are all quite debilitating in their own right, all three of them used together is bound to be tough, that is the object of the trial though to see if hitting your cancer hard now pays dividends in the future, with chemo still an option further down the line.

Judging by your PSA levels it is doing a great job so far, both Abi and Enza can cause an increase in ALP levels. the effects of alcohol on top are not really proven as there has not been enough data or research there that I know of but it probably goes without saying that alcohol can impair liver and kidney function. These treatments can cause muscle weakness and wastage but if you can keep exercising I am sure that will help reduce that . The enza and Abi can cause tummy upsets. It might be worth talking to your onco about your running and why it is so important to you he may be able to vary your dose to minimise the SEs a bit.

I am sure the runners and running coaches will have some ideas on how you might vary your training to maximum effect.

I wish you well

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 05:40

hi good morning

not sure on how many days you are running but I make it about 6 weeks till you need to taper, target should be at the moment with the way you feel is not how far you can run but time on your feet

is it possable to run loops or figures of eight courses so that you are close to home should you need the loo urgently, and then you may be able to get back out for some more

or is it possable to run morning then early evening

as long as you can get to do a couple of 10milers, then you will manage the GNR, but I would tell anyone if you can not get to 10miles or 100mins on a run then either defer place if possable or do not it

the first 10miler needs to be in about 3 weeks, and 2nd a week later, not in the last two before the GNR

do you own a roadbike so you could try a bit of cross training, or and these are not my fav places to run, is their a gym near by you could use the treadmill then the loo and back onto treadmill

if not able to go back on treadmill then use the x training machines

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 00:12
Paul

it is just something that happened to Mick, he was only on Enza for 8 days and he had horrendous tummy problems in that time, however he also had a myriad of other things that were going on so he was on so many meds I had to have a spread sheet to manage them all. I can't lie and say it cleared up when he stopped the Enza because at that point he was a very sick man and all urnary and fecal output was controlled by the hospital by using meds of one sort or another.

I know of quite a few men taking Abi alone and none have upset tummys as far as I know. At the moment I only know of you and Alison's OH who are on the combination.

It may just be the combination in your case. I do think the medical team need to give you a course of action that fits in with the trial, it should really be up to them to pinpoint what is causing this SE for you.

Maybe if it is a known SE they should suggest some sort of Imodium type drug to counter balance and give you a better way of dealing with this.

I hope they do

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 20:04
Paul

I hope you do not mind me posting this here but the PM service is kaput and I know you want to get this

radar key ... can be provided free by some local council offices

can be purchased for about a fiver from

https://crm.disabilityrightsuk.org/radar-nks-key

you do not have to be registered disabled but may need to declare it is for personal use due to a medical condition to be VAT exempt.

Hope this post gets seen by you it is so frustrating having to report errors on something so widely used.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 10 Aug 2015 at 22:04
So glad you have not given up despite everything my friend. What you are doing is so important for you and others. The sense of achievement when you finish will be overwhelming and as for the time, it really is not important, as Nike says! "Just do it"

Sorry I am too far away to cheer you on by put my thoughts will be with you.

Kev

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 21:35
Please don't get annoyed with the time. I bet if you wrote to London marathon and said what your situation ips they may give you a place as under 6 hours with cancer is good for any age.

I am in MDS next year, I have a coach who makes me run at less than 127 bpm, that is slow but over 156 miles that will be fine, I have already envisaged the smile on my face when I finish!

Stay strong, remember running is having both feet in the air at some stage, that is an achievement in itself for many able bodied people. I saw an old friend tonight coincidently who was a better rugby player than me in our 20's but has recently self harmed and wants to end his life as he has severe depression, it made me bith sad and envigourated as despite all that I (we ) have , I have never wanted to end it , all I want is to extend it any way I can and running is a way of feeling alive despite all the what ifs.

Good luck in the GNR, you don't need it though.

Kev

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 00:10

Hi Paul,

Just answer your question, "The Flyer" Event is held each year in London, in a pub of the same name in early December (this year on the 2nd) where a group of us meet up to enjoy a buffet meal and drinks.  It's organised by George_H (one of the members of this site).

A bigger event is held in June each year near Leicester where about 70 to 80 people get together.  I went this year and it's well worth attending to meet up with people who are members of this site.

If your interested in coming along to one of these events, PM me and I can give you George's contact details.

Steve

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 06:52
Hi Paul, glad there is another runner here at last( in the nicest way) .

I run lots, in 2014 I did a couple of marathons and lots of smaller races, the big one was 100k non stop London to Brighton in 15 hours, fantastic.

In June 2014 I entered the Brighton marathion for April 2015 and "the wall" 110k race from Carlisle to Gateshead along Hadrians Wall. My best marathon time was my last 3 hours 47 age 49.

I was diagnosed Gleson 9 T4M1N1a October 2014. I have still run, I started chemo this week, however and that has been a bit of a game changer although I did 5 miles Friday. My head says that cycle week 1 don't run much just walk, week 2 do a bit and week 3 back to full running. I know that by the Brighton marathon I will be on week 14 of chemo and who knows what that will mean, as for the wall race we'll probably not gonna happen however........

My oncologist says he had never been asked the question about long distance running before but after much thought has told me I can run as much as I want as long as my body wants to ( a bit dangerous for me as mind over matter is how you get through marathons as the body always wants to stop!!) so that is what I will do, we have discussed diet which is now more vegetable less meat( in general) my only concern is dairy which I have reduced a lot but I am not sure if I am getting enough calcium for my bones although I am eating calcium rich veg. He agrees with you as do I, the fitter I am the better by body will fight it.

Like you I must have had PC for some time and like you my times were better last year although just before diagnosis I had a 5 min per hour reduction in speed. I live in Surrey so sorry we won't meet and reading what I have just written it's all me rather than you but I agree with your stance, listen to your body, eat all the right stuff and something I am rubbish at do the RICE but in full after every run, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation ie sit with your feet up, frozen peas strapped to your calves over some compression or dot flight socks, it really makes a difference in recovery. Today is a good day

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 10:41
Hi Paul

When dad was diagnosed back in 2012 I encouraged him to join the gym as we were of the same thinking that the fitter he was the better his body could help fight the cancer. He now goes to the gym a couple of times a week and he bought a bike and goes cycling once a week. He doesn't do long distances and he still has to walk up a few hills but he really enjoys it. We quite often go for a bike/run on a weekend, me running and dad following on his bike so a good chance for us to spend some time together too. Exercising has certainly helped with his wellbeing and brought his blood pressure down if nothing else.

Best wishes

Sarah

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 12:14

There are a few runners on here and rather more who are keen cyclists. I don't think there are any official statistics but based on the membership of this forum, I would say that those who are very fit and engage in regular and challenging sport (as opposed to 10 mins in the gym and then an hour in the steam room) tend to cope better with the hormone treatment. Check threads by Alarhays (continued playing rugby for a long time after the most dreadful diagnosis), Old Al (practically wheelchair dependent until he took up swimming), Chris B I think. A rather different situation but my John continued with rugby, road cycling and gym throughout RT/HT although he did decide to give up the HT early because he couldn't bear how it made him feel.

What I would say is that if you are going to do a lot of cycling, you should consider investing in one of the new prostate-friendly saddles - there is quite a lot of data indicating that PCa is more prevalent in keen bikers, that cycling raises the PSA and that normal saddles may in some way be massaging the prostate. Weigh that against the knowledge that regular exercise helps to overcome the loss of testosterone and the fact that your muscles are likely to waste somewhat, muscle behaviours are going to become more like a woman's, tendons and ligaments will loosen so you may be more susceptible to tears and strains, HT may cause quite debilitating breathlessness and fatigue is very, very common. 'Listen to your body' is of course good advice but you need to listen honestly so that if your body starts screaming 'this isn't okay' you actually listen rather than carry on on the basis that it is something you were able to do before!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jan 2015 at 18:50

Thanks so much everybody for the feedback.

It is important to listen to the body particularly in running because to keep going is often mind over matter. But when it does start hurting I'll know when to slow down
My urologist/oncologist has said to carry on so for now I'm hopeful to run the next races by May.

After that it's too foggy and a terrifying journey. I dread to think what will happen. Heck I don't even know what treatment I'll be on after Monday (sign up day with Stampede)

I will keep up the exercise though one way or another.

I'd recommend you read: prostraterunner.blogspot.com For a master runner with guts.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 18:21

Hi all
Had RP on 12th June and doing well. Still incontinent and suffering from ED - but all expected and just getting on with it. Been doing daily pelvic floor exercises and walking daily to the point where tried a bit of jogging. However, After today's 10 minute jog mixed with 10 mins of power-walking I noticed on return bleeding in my pad. Has anyone else had experience a bit of bleeding after they have been jogging - or have I just over-done it.

The bleeding stopped after a couple of minutes and did not return during the day.  

Edited by member 05 Jul 2015 at 18:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 18:30

I would say you have overdone it - jogging 3 weeks post op doesn't strike me as particularly sensible. You may only have small external wounds but you have had major surgery and all the internal bits are still healing.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 19:41

must say enjoyed reading about the other runners on here

we have a half marathon in worksop last sunday in october, need to plug our race as I am president of our running club

keep it up guys the running I mean

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 19:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi all
Had RP on 12th June and doing well. Still incontinent and suffering from ED - but all expected and just getting on with it. Been doing daily pelvic floor exercises and walking daily to the point where tried a bit of jogging. However, After today's 10 minute jog mixed with 10 mins of power-walking I noticed on return bleeding in my pad. Possibly result of overdoing it?  Has anyone else had experience a bit of bleeding after they have been jogging - or have I just over-done it.

The bleeding stopped after a couple of minutes and did not return during the day.  Aha, that would seem to confirm the thought above?   

With open, albeit hidden, wounds needing to heal, I do think and believe, and I speak from experience, that 3 weeks is not enough to allow the body to do what it does best, make repairs "in-house". 

Are you aware, do you recall, that your urethra was probably detached from your bladder during your RRP?  It would have been stitched back and knees time to make a good seal again.

The pounding of your feet on the treadmill or the tarmac will jar your wounds, and slow if not, prevent healing.  Even then your urinary control may or will also be affected.  2 yrs 3 months after RRP I still pee when I run, so I no longer run, I walk briskly, very briskly in my view, 8.3 kph at a 4 incline on a treadmill for 30 to 40 minutes, recently started fartlec training.  2 mins at 7.3, then 6 at 8.3.  Try it, it does give a good workout.  But, more importantly, it also gives your body a chance to do what it does best, heal.

atb

dave

Edited by member 05 Jul 2015 at 19:57  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 23:03

8.3.kph....that's a jog Dave

Bri

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 23:12

Bri,

PMSL

Or rather PMSJ, if I did indeed Jog.

It would have been a jog before, more of a warm up.

Now it is a V quick indeed walk. Brings on a good sweat though.

Keep going, it will help.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 10:59
Blooming heck 8.3 kph that's me flat out running.

I walk quickly (I think) as part of a normal workout I do interval training on the treadmill total time 30 mins 6.5kph on a 2 incline for 2 mins and then 6kph on a 4 incline for 2 mins until time runs out.

A couple of weeks ago, thumb up bum brain in neutral (appropriate music blaring away in my earphones) I jumped onto the treadmill dialled in my programme and had a really tough time holding the pace. I had to jog ..no actually run to stay on board. Stopped after a minute or so, before I actually hurt myself, that is when I saw the sign saying that the first two machines in the line are now in mph

What a muppet!!

I do love seeing the running and exercising posts they help to motivate me for the gym. Of course I am not having to deal with Pca so not trying to compare or anything just thought the image of me flailing along trying to keep up with the treadmill like Dawn French would bring a smile to one or two faces.

Xx

Mo

Edited by member 08 Jul 2015 at 14:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 15:10

Until my prostate removal in April 2015 I was a 69 yr old 5-6 days a week off road runner. I also hike and camp long distance routes such as The Pennine Way, etc as well. Now that I am 70 and post op, I have kept up the hiking and camping but I will not resume running until mid-Sepember 2015. No particular reason, but as I'm due to hike the full length of the Pyrenees in mid July 2015 I decided for now to just concentrate on the hiking.

I walk one of my old off road routes almost every day so I am still in touch with running but for the moment I am just 'doing running in my head' whilst I stroll along!

I believe that the fitter you are and no excess weight before an operation the easier it is to cope with, I think it worked for me.

It also bought home to me something my mother used to say to us, if you like getting up in the morning and look forward to each new day this will always help to deal positivly with the day to day and the more serious problems of life. I have always loved getting up in the morning, rain, snow or shine!

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 16:02

It's good to see this posts still running!

I'm 69 and on HT plus Abbiraterone and Enzalutamide etc and it's really giving me bouts of dodgy tummy plus some other bothersome stuff.

I'm still trying to keep up my running but have been caught out a couple of times mid run and even mid hike. I'm hoping everything calms down in time for me to do the Gt North Run again in September.

But talking of hiking it is a great alternative and I did the 12 mile hike up the Rio Ara Valley in the Spanish Pyrenees last week and have done some shorter hikes on the French side. Hiking actually seems quite demanding even compared to running.
I'm wondering whether to take up walking/hiking instead of running.
Well just see how it goes.

By the way I read somewhere in a running book that jogging goes up to 6 mph or 9.6 km/hr, at a higher speed its running I think. I don't remember what the bottom limit was.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 16:43
As further encouragement to other sporty types:-

I am Gleson 9 T4M1N1a, diagnosed Oct 2014, as some of you may recall I ran 2 marathons whilst on docetaxl chemo, since then I have had RT, the last zap tomorrow. I am in training for a big race next April so in June I ran 202 miles including 4 x 20 mile runs in 12 days, gym sessions, sprints, hill work. This weekend I am running in "the race to the stones" which is 62 miles cross country, 31 miles Saturday and 31 Sunday.

Yes I am slower, hills are harder, recovery time is longer.

Running has been my lifeline, it distracts me from stuff by planning, reading about kit, nutrition and of course the running.

I admire anyone who pushes themselves in any way, be it running a mile, doing a race or just getting out and walking to the shops. My onco and I are convinced that staying fit helps the fight.

So if you have read this just try to do one thing that you didn't the day before in terms of exercise, one more mile or even just one more step and then share your success here.

If anyone ever wants my amateur input and help in exercise just ask.

Kevlaa

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 18:27

Kev
That's amazing.
At the moment I'm really struggling to get motivated but yours and bladerunner post have really got me saying to myself get moving.
Trouble at moment is the damned tabs are giving me stomach pains and the runs (very apt) but I've got stakes in the ground for September with GNR half marathon and I might just enter that Worksop Half that bladerunner mention. He might even give me tip or two.

Keep on posting how everything is going it's so relevant and helpful.

Paul

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 19:25

Kev and others your posts are motivating in themselves. I went to a support group meeting last Friday and there was a presentation by Weston Park who said that exercise can reduce a recurrance by 40%

According to your stats Healey I do a mixture of jogging and running as I tend to increase and decrease during a 5k treadmill run ie 9.1kph to 11.5 kph.

I've no idea whether just jogging along at a steady 9.5 is better for me.
Any advice would be great kev ie how often, how to improve, when/what to eat prior to a run etc

Cheers
Bri

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 21:52

Healey, I will wave to you as you overtake me somewhere round Gateshead - I will be the one stopping for a fag break next to the portaloos by the flyover :-)

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 22:46

Healey, I will wave to you as you overtake me somewhere round Gateshead - I will be the one stopping for a fag break next to the portaloos by the flyover :-)

I'm not so sure Lyn but let me have your running number and colour (I'll reciprocate when I get home from hol next week) and I'll look out for you. Are you running for a charity?

Paul

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 23:06

I'm not at home either but will post when I know. I run for brain tumour research :-)

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 05:43

hi bri

not tring to blow my own trumpet but I am a uka level 3 coach, what you are doing on the treadmill is what is called interval training, that is running set distance or time at slower followed by faster paced running

the backbone of any distance running (anyrun over a mile) is endurance, this is achieved by runs that are less than your target race but at a constant pace that feels easy, (which in our cases is not always that easy), or just going out to get a time in on run, interval or fartlek sessions are used to help to increase your pace, and should only be run twice a week.

I run 6 days a week

if I was training for a half my longest run would be 10miles and always after a rest day, or 90mins and not worry about the distance.

3 other days at distances between 4-6 miles

2 days doing interval/fartlek running or a temp run   fartlek is a Swedish word it means to run and just increase and decrease speed as you feel no set time or distance

to be able to run further or faster you need to train/learn your body to do this its a gradual thing

tempo run is running at a faster pace then normal but you can only utter the odd word

interval runs are set times or distance where say 2mins is very easy and 2mins fast not sprinting but quicker than a tempo run, repeat each 2mins or you could use qtr miles instead of 2mins, if you find you have to walk the easy bit then you are running the fast part to quick

nidge

Edited by member 07 Jul 2015 at 07:16  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 06:58

by following the above over the last four weeks my 4mile run has gone from 9.06 min mileing to 8.40 min mileing

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 07:31

one of my pet likes it to tell people to keep hydrated, any run I do over 6 miles I carry a bottle of water, not the type of bottle you buy in a shop the proper handheld running bottles, lack of hydration leads to lack of performance will increase risk of injury

always drink before going out at least an hour before and not just before going out the water needs to get in your body, at work I will drink upto 4 pints a day, water that is

beer, coffee and tea do not help hydration

the sports drinks you buy in the shop contain to much sugar, never drink anything in a race you have not tried in training you will more than likely upset your stomach

you can also drink to much

I have had runners come with me and they have the proper water bottles and will just carry them without use for miles

when I ask them when will you use the water reply is often when I feel I need it

that is to late, I start drinking when I hit mile ONE, you only need a few sips each mile.

just because you may have been given a cupful or a bottle at a drink station doesn't mean you have to drink it all

on a hot day have a drink before you tip the rest over your head

and if needs be walk whilst you drink

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 11:34

From my own experience I believe that long walking is more benificial than running, even though I like running a lot. After I complete say a 100 mile hike I always feel so good! I feel fit, I lose all of the tummy podge and my mood always feels great for weeks. I usually start running within 3 days of my return from hikes but no matter how much running I do (routinely up to 5 miles a day) I gradually lose that peak fitness, my tummy podge tends to return and I get back to normal day to day living.

In my mind I think its because running is a short term time thing, it can be over within the hour, whereas my type of hiking is sustained and is consistent over much longer long periods of time, usually up to 8 hours per day. Well something like that anyway.

What is going to be of interest to me is when I return to running, after mid-September is how will my 'new model' bladder hold up with the constant striding and jarring that running demands of the body. We shall see.

As I am hiking the GR10 in France in mid July and will try to raise money for our local Da Vinci machine our local newspaper came to see me yesterday. They had me dressing up in my hiking gear, rucksack on back and took loads of photos of me standing up, sitting down, posing in a 'manly' way and so on. Whether I will make it to the newspaper I don't know but they took my fundraising page www.justgiving.com/Reg-Edmunds and said they would publish it.

I'm off to the woods soon, I just need to make sure that my boots are fully worn in. I just want to avoid blisters if I can!

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 17:28

Hi all
AAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGGGG
I posted "Had RP on 12th June and doing well." when it should have read May 12th. This is what happens when my wife's birthday is June the 12th and my young grandson was on my knee trying to use the keyboard whilst I was writing on the computer. Yes I know d*%khead.
So I am 6/7weeks post-op hence trying to start back with the jogging. Anyway the bleeding has stopped and I have been resting for the past few days with no blood in pee. Hopefully just a warning to NOT jog yet.
Thanks all for replying.

PS planning to walk Hadrian's Wall next year for Prostate Cancer UK with my younger brother who had RP last year. 

Edited by member 07 Jul 2015 at 17:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2015 at 10:12

Not been able to get on here for a few days, no idea why. Nice to read about other peoples running activity.

A question for the runners and joggers and trainers or coaches. Does walking fast, at 8.3 kph for example do any damage to the hips? After chatting with another runner at MOTS I now vary my speed on the treadmill, start at 7 kph for 2 minutes then 8.3, did 8.4 yesterday for 2 sets. But will this damage my hips or knees? Would I be better going back to accepting that I will leak, wear a pad and start running again?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2015 at 11:30

It's damaged my bloody achilles again...so pxxsed off...just as I am improving it looks like I am going to have to rest up again ggrrr

Bri

User
Posted 08 Jul 2015 at 13:32

Sorry to read this Bri,

what about a rowing machine? Or a hand cycle, one of those cycle machines you work with your arms?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2015 at 19:08

Cheers Dave. ..I'll be using the bikes, cross trainers and rowing machine for a few weeks whoie it settles down...oh and the stairs to stretch the tendon

Bri

User
Posted 08 Jul 2015 at 19:33

countryboy

I would say that if the walking is causing you less problems stick with that awhile longer, and then add in some short sessions of running with your walking and see how that goes

any excercise can make your hips ache

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 14 Jul 2015 at 21:56
I hope no one reads this as me blowing my own trumpet but I wanted to share with you what can be done despite having the last 6 months on chemo and then RT that finished last Tuesday as I want to encourage others just to try to do some exercise even if it's just getting out of bed to make a cup of coffee.

Over the weekend I completed a 100k (or 62 mile) race over two days (Race to the Stones), it took me 14 hours and 42 minutes and I came 99th out of 483 competitors and 9th out of 32 men in their 50s.

On the day of my diagnosis I thought I would never run again and when I had my first dose of chemo thought that I would never go out again but with a positive attitude despite what was going on and getting of lightly with side effects I have achieved something that I thought was now out of my reach.

So what next ? Well I have entered the Marathon Des Sables in April next year see link below if you have not heard of it:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-rPaBMTIc

In a nutshell, it is 150 odd miles over 6 days in the Sahara carrying everything from day one to the end apart from your tent and water (given to you in 1.5 litre quotas every 10k). In due course I will of course be looking to raise a few quid for our favourite charity but for now I hope that I can inspire as many of you as possible to believe that you can still do something awesome as I do despite being T4M1N1a.

The training is brutal enough (I ran 205 miles in June with the race 10 months away still) but I guess it is the one thing on my bucket list so it's worth it.

Please post anything any of you achieve no matter how big or small as it is all relative to someone.

Kev

User
Posted 14 Jul 2015 at 22:46

Well done Kev. What an achievement

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 00:55

Kev,

Well done.

Steve

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 05:46

irun will be chaning his name shortly to inutter

seriously though you amaze me

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 07:57

Kev,

was that the run that Jenson Button was involved with, or Vassos Alexander from Radio 2?

And following your chat with me about running, and how to run correctly, I watched numerous U Tube videos, and I am back at it, feel tired, knackered actually, but absolutely great, and not so damp due to the interval training. I have controller bursts of 2 minutes a 11.5kph. SO good I have ordered a fresh pair of New Balance shoes so I will fly. Yeah, right!

Maybe you could start a thread updating your preparation and progress for your uber "Jog In The Sand"?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 09:42
Kev

you really are such an inspiration to people here and anywhere else in your life. I am absolutley certain nobody here would think you were blowing your own trumpet, what you are doing is awesome, incredible and heroic.

I know that the big race is 10 months away so I really hope that for once a reality TV show could be just that REALITY and that PCUK or someone else involved could capture this throughout your training and how you mentally prepare to give the world a glimpse of the whole preparation and race itself.I am sure it would provide a huge amount of the right publicity for Men Utd and would rasie public awareness better than any other thing I can think of. It could also be a massive fundraiser too. I somehow think that the race organisation may not allow that as I believe, through necessity, it is incredibly strict on rules and regulations.

I listened to Sir Ranulph Fiennes talking on the radio after this years race and thought how crazy he was but there again he is an adventurer and likes a challenge just like you. I am a little worried about the camels chasing you but I guess they move slower than I think (I certainly hope so or Kevirun would become Kevflatpack!!)

When you start raising your sponsorship I will be right there as I know many, many others from this forum will be.

You have my total respect

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 11:13

What about starting your just giving page now?

Mo has a good idea, there is a really good story in this, surely someone could pick up on it and run ( pun groan :-( ) with it?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 11:31

now does nikonsteve have any contacts, just a thought

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 11:32

does nikonsteve have any contacts

nidge

Edited by member 15 Jul 2015 at 11:32  | Reason: Not specified

run long and prosper

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 19:15
Thanks for the encouragement.

To be fair PCUK are on the case but I said that having fleeced my contacts for my 2 chemo marathons (I raised £21k) i thought I would wait until September/ October to launch next years fund raising.

Rest assured I will raise the profile for my fund raising in a couple of months and will bore you all silly with my training regime. At this stage I need to lose 10kg and run 60miles a week, it builds from there!

The real point of my posting is that pc affects us all differently and whilst others thoughts are always good we each have a responsibility to ourselves and our family to push a little bit and never give up trying.

Kev

User
Posted 15 Jul 2015 at 21:55
Kev

I hope you start a new thread dedicated to your challenge you could call for ideas on what the title should be I will donate "a prize" of 50 quid in the name of the person who comes up with the best idea on your just giving page when you set it up.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 20:53
Hello all

I'm finding everyone's experiences so helpful so please keep posting on how your training for runs or just fitness are going.

I'm struggling a little at the moment with incessant upset tum and hourly hot flushes plus general tiredness and lack of energy.

Everything but bad tummy can be handled although I'm way behind on my training.

My next run is the GNR half marathon in September and I should be up to 7 mile runs by now but am struggling to get round a 4 miler without getting stomach pains and needing to find a loo.

I've been on HT plus Stampede J drugs now for just 6 months and they do apparently give these side effects. They are working though as my PSA is down from 235 to .06 (further results on Monday!)

My running is so important to me as it gives me something personal to aim for and I'm just getting so worried I'm going to lose it.

It does take my mind off what's going on as well.

Moan over and am going to try and get up early tomorrow for a run (again)

Paul

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 21:36
Paul

I will let one of the serious runners answer your running issues.

The drugs you are taking or being injected with are all quite debilitating in their own right, all three of them used together is bound to be tough, that is the object of the trial though to see if hitting your cancer hard now pays dividends in the future, with chemo still an option further down the line.

Judging by your PSA levels it is doing a great job so far, both Abi and Enza can cause an increase in ALP levels. the effects of alcohol on top are not really proven as there has not been enough data or research there that I know of but it probably goes without saying that alcohol can impair liver and kidney function. These treatments can cause muscle weakness and wastage but if you can keep exercising I am sure that will help reduce that . The enza and Abi can cause tummy upsets. It might be worth talking to your onco about your running and why it is so important to you he may be able to vary your dose to minimise the SEs a bit.

I am sure the runners and running coaches will have some ideas on how you might vary your training to maximum effect.

I wish you well

xx

Mo

User
Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 05:40

hi good morning

not sure on how many days you are running but I make it about 6 weeks till you need to taper, target should be at the moment with the way you feel is not how far you can run but time on your feet

is it possable to run loops or figures of eight courses so that you are close to home should you need the loo urgently, and then you may be able to get back out for some more

or is it possable to run morning then early evening

as long as you can get to do a couple of 10milers, then you will manage the GNR, but I would tell anyone if you can not get to 10miles or 100mins on a run then either defer place if possable or do not it

the first 10miler needs to be in about 3 weeks, and 2nd a week later, not in the last two before the GNR

do you own a roadbike so you could try a bit of cross training, or and these are not my fav places to run, is their a gym near by you could use the treadmill then the loo and back onto treadmill

if not able to go back on treadmill then use the x training machines

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 22:21

Hello
Thanks Nidge for your suggestions

I'm trying to get back into running at least 3 days a week. I've always followed the training plans in "the marathon & half marathon, a training plan" by Graeme Hildich.
I'm a little behind for the GNR but am now up to 4.6 miles although I did have to stop with stomach pain at a local Liberal Club. I was tempted to have a pint but just used the loo.
I do do loop runs but now take note of where the loos are.

Today I've discussed my medication (I'm on Stamped J) with my Onco and she has agreed that I can vary my medication to try and identify which drug is giving me the dicky Tummy and diahorea. I'm now hopeful therefore to be able to pick up the distances with my training runs and certainly get some 10 milers in well before the race.

Paul

PS The only bike I own is a Harley Davidson so that won't help much.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 11:27
Paul

I can't help with your running I have ony just started after donkeys years and I need all the help I can get myself!

There are two things I wanted to mention though,firstly have you got yourself a radar key and urgent loo badge from PCUK and disability rights uk ? These give you the access to or right to use any loo in a public facility (like bars and restauarants) so could be handy for you. The PCUK website has info on both and how to get them.

With regards to varying your meds, I hope the Onco gave you boundaries and limitations that will not impact on your trial input. I would think Enzalutamide is more likely to be the drug upsetting your tummy. Maybe you can change the time of day you take it initially rather than the actual dose.

I know there is also a school of thought that says Abi taken in the standard dose with food can be just the same as Abi taken in a reduced dose without food. Maybe you could ask about that too?

Good luck with your training

xx

Mo

Edited by member 21 Jul 2015 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:56
Paul

I can't help with your running I have ony just started after donkeys years and I need all the help I can get myself!

There are two things I wanted to mention though,firstly have you got yourself a radar key and urgent loo badge from PCUK and disability rights uk ? These give you the access to or right to use any loo in a public facility (like bars and restauarants) so could be handy for you. The PCUK website has info on both and how to get them.

With regards to varying your meds, I hope the Onco gave you boundaries and limitations that will not impact on your trial input. I would think Enzalutamide is more likely to be the drug upsetting your tummy. Maybe you can change the time of day you take it initially rather than the actual dose.

I know there is also a school of thought that says Abi taken in the standard dose with food can be just the same as Abi taken in a reduced dose without food. Maybe you could ask about that too?

Good luck with your training

xx

Mo

Mo

No I'd not heard of the radar key and will certainly send off for it. Thank you

Yes the ONCO gave me guidance on how to identify which of the drugs is upsetting my tum. I'm to refer weekly to the research nurse on how things are going.

I asked about which drug she (the ONCO) thought was the cause and she couldn't say.

I take abi (3 tabs) 1 hour before food then I tame 4 tabs enzo. The abi was reduced from 4 tabs to 3 when my ALT went skywards

Why do you say that you think that enzo is affecting my tum?

Thanks for your advice

Paul

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 00:12
Paul

it is just something that happened to Mick, he was only on Enza for 8 days and he had horrendous tummy problems in that time, however he also had a myriad of other things that were going on so he was on so many meds I had to have a spread sheet to manage them all. I can't lie and say it cleared up when he stopped the Enza because at that point he was a very sick man and all urnary and fecal output was controlled by the hospital by using meds of one sort or another.

I know of quite a few men taking Abi alone and none have upset tummys as far as I know. At the moment I only know of you and Alison's OH who are on the combination.

It may just be the combination in your case. I do think the medical team need to give you a course of action that fits in with the trial, it should really be up to them to pinpoint what is causing this SE for you.

Maybe if it is a known SE they should suggest some sort of Imodium type drug to counter balance and give you a better way of dealing with this.

I hope they do

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 17:15

Well I'm into day two off the abi and enza and already my tum feels better.

However I've still got to watch it
Eight days ago I could just manage 2.3 miles before griping tum stopped me.
Three days ago I got to 4.6 miles but with 2 walks with gripey tum
Today I managed 5.7 miles but had to walk twice with gripes and dashed for the loo when I got home.

However I'm thinking things are getting better so it's a 7-8 miler at the weekend and I'm on target for the GNR but I need to speed up. My best half is 8:48 average

Thanks all for the encouragement. It's also amazing what good
Psa results can do for you - yesterday was 0.04 my lowest yet.

Paul

Ps this year I'm running for Yorkshire Cancer Research

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 17:39
Paul

I hope they do

xx

Mo

Hi Mo

Thanks again for you advice and thoughts.

you are right of course that the medical team should give me a course of action that fits in with the trial and I'm sure this is what they are doing. All cases as you are aware are reviewed regularly and if the dosage ends up as being outside the guidelines then I guess I have a choice to make as to whether I live with the SEs or pull out of Srampede. I will mention Imodium to the research nurse when I talk to her next - thank you kindly for that suggestion.

I hope you don't think I'm going gung ho into changing my medication it is all at the suggestion of the medical team.

I would add that when my ALT went skyward they told me to stop enza and a I for one week until it started reducing then restarted me on enza and a reduced abi dosage.

My stomach is certainly feeling better after only 2nd day.

I've got to say that in terms of the flexibility in the trial there does seem to be some

I don't know where I read it one person said he was on enza only as the a I was giving him too bad side effects but he kept on the trial.

Thanks Again Mo