Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

To eat Peanut butter or not, that is the question

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 16:56
Guys

I had the idea that I saw a post recently saying that peanut butter is bad for a man with PCA. As its a favourite in our house I'm anxious to know where I dreamt this. I'd appreciate your views, Mr Google tells me it's good for PCA.

Cheers

Aliiosn

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 11:25

Having been through the business of having my prostate surgically removed last year, I along with others here been prodded, tested, pulled around, things stuck in me, scanned inside out etc.

met many highly educated, skilled and dedicated medical practioners, from humble nurses to professors , not one of them ever said avoid peanuts , peanut oil or any nut or any oil come to think of it,

personally I'm going to enjoy them all while I can, having consumed them all my life, I think so far I've done ok, the odds are in my favour, whenever you sit if front of a doctor they always ask do you smoke, do you drink, but never do you eat peanuts !

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:05
Hi Allison, don't know if peanut butter helps or hinders Pca, but I do know if you ever need to trap a mouse in your house, forget cheese as a bait, put a little peanut butter on a small piece of bread and bait your trap,never been known to fail, they love it,honest. Diesel.
User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:17

I recall an article which suggested that Peanuts are other good or bad and that Peanut Butter is either bad or good. One is one and the other is the other. Can not remember which way round though.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Allison, don't know if peanut butter helps or hinders Pca, but I do know if you ever need to trap a mouse in your house, forget cheese as a bait, put a little peanut butter on a small piece of bread and bait your trap,never been known to fail, they love it,honest. Diesel.

Can 't help you with the peanut butter and PCa Allison but can confirm that the little rodents love peanut butter.

That and chocolate apparently but since the other doesn't like to  share his chocolate with anyone, and hates Peanut butter guess what the rats get !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 10:29

I think you are right Bri, someone did mention that it was peanut oil that should be avoided. I have also been a bit concerned about peanut butter as my OH has it daily, but we are continuing with it until I hear anything different. We do buy the Whole Earth jar though as it has no sugar in it.

Miss x

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 00:18

I can't find the thread now Alison but I think it was Spurspark who had picked up the 'no peanut' advice. I also think it is in the PC Research UK cook book that peanuts should be avoided. I had a bit of a rant at Christmas because I caught John eating some secretly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 01:02

I used to have a 'Picnic' bar most days, perhaps I shouldn't have done as they are loaded with pea nuts? Anyway, having drastically reduced my sugar intake, I now find them much too sweet for my taste. I am sure there is still too much sugar in confectionery and other things.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 22:57
This may be of some interest.

Nutrition, dietary interventions and prostate cancer: the latest evidence

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4286914/

Roy

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 04:14

Thanks for the link Roy - it made interesting reading even if the conclusion was a bit thin.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:05
User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:17

I recall an article which suggested that Peanuts are other good or bad and that Peanut Butter is either bad or good. One is one and the other is the other. Can not remember which way round though.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Can 't help you with the peanut butter and PCa Allison but can confirm that the little rodents love peanut butter.

That and chocolate apparently but since the other doesn't like to  share his chocolate with anyone, and hates Peanut butter guess what the rats get !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:28
Hi Allison,

I'm just reading Jane Plant's book "The Plant Programme" and she includes peanut butter on her list of things you should buy to make her recipes to combat prostate cancer. So I would imagine she wouldn't include it if it was something to be avoided.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 20:52

AHA! I have her book, that may be where I read it. Thanks Steve.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2015 at 22:02

I think someone on here said it's the peanut oil that's a no no.....may have been Rob

Bri

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 10:29

I think you are right Bri, someone did mention that it was peanut oil that should be avoided. I have also been a bit concerned about peanut butter as my OH has it daily, but we are continuing with it until I hear anything different. We do buy the Whole Earth jar though as it has no sugar in it.

Miss x

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 19:53

Peanut oil is quite high in Omega 6. Omega 6 has been noted to promote P.Ca.

As are many other oils. e.g. flaxseed oil; walnut oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, grapeseed oil, sesame oil etc. and the one Dr Myers particularly warns against is corn oil. Corn fed poultry exhibits higher levels of Omega 6 for example. Which is one reason why I avoid the fatty parts of poultry if I have it ( legs, wings & skin ).

I've avoided peanut butter with this in mind as there is usually oil in the butters.. The odd few dry peanuts wouldn't worry me too  much though. Occasionally.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 20:45
Thanks you all, I knew I'd seen something.

I thought Rob would know the technicalities.

Cheers

Allison

User
Posted 29 Jan 2015 at 21:17

peanut butter is okay but raw organic almond butter is better,agora health promote peanut butter as good for prostate cancer along with avocado.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 00:18

I can't find the thread now Alison but I think it was Spurspark who had picked up the 'no peanut' advice. I also think it is in the PC Research UK cook book that peanuts should be avoided. I had a bit of a rant at Christmas because I caught John eating some secretly.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 01:02

I used to have a 'Picnic' bar most days, perhaps I shouldn't have done as they are loaded with pea nuts? Anyway, having drastically reduced my sugar intake, I now find them much too sweet for my taste. I am sure there is still too much sugar in confectionery and other things.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 11:25

Having been through the business of having my prostate surgically removed last year, I along with others here been prodded, tested, pulled around, things stuck in me, scanned inside out etc.

met many highly educated, skilled and dedicated medical practioners, from humble nurses to professors , not one of them ever said avoid peanuts , peanut oil or any nut or any oil come to think of it,

personally I'm going to enjoy them all while I can, having consumed them all my life, I think so far I've done ok, the odds are in my favour, whenever you sit if front of a doctor they always ask do you smoke, do you drink, but never do you eat peanuts !

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 17:35

Hi Lyn, you could be thinking about Brazil nuts. The Prostate Cancer Cookbook states that Brazil nuts should be avoided. The authors suggest that although Brazil nuts can be a good source of selenium they can also contain toxic levels of barium and radium if consumed in large quantity.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 22:35

Oh dear, this just gets more and more confusing!

I thought peanut oil was made by crushing peanuts, so I can't see how you can avoid the oil by eating the nuts.

I have just bought some Brazil nuts for Tony to snack on, because of the selenium. I should think small quantities are OK - I think a couple of nuts a day are all you need. I can't find any evidence that the radioactivity of small quantities would be harmful.

I wonder if cashew nut butter has any benefits, or hidden dangers?

Marje

User
Posted 30 Jan 2015 at 22:57
This may be of some interest.

Nutrition, dietary interventions and prostate cancer: the latest evidence

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4286914/

Roy

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 04:09

Hi, my understanding is that cashew nuts are fine and Brazil nuts are okay if limited to a handful per day. There is a thread on the old forum about this although I can't paste the link from my phone. I was definitely told that all nuts were good for John except peanuts. It doesn't seem to concern him though.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 04:14

Thanks for the link Roy - it made interesting reading even if the conclusion was a bit thin.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 09:18

I found the article very interesting for the fact that the sum total of our knowledge remains so inadequate and gets us little further than following good dietary habits as recommended for anyone with a healthy lifestyle. The findings are so 'hedged' and inconclusive as to help us little further forward.

So peanut butter on toast for breakfast washed down with green tea!

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 09:40

Yep...basically eat a healthy balanced diet possibly veering towards a Mediterranean diet

Bri

User
Posted 31 Jan 2015 at 11:50

Roy, Paul: interesting article if only to show that yes there is long way to go.

Until its known what type of PCa we each have and what effect diet has isn't all, however educated, guess work?

As I’m doing well thus far I stick with my balanced diet which may well have some combinations of foods that are harmful but it will most likely have combinations of foods that far outweigh those. Perhaps this is in the mind but the old one of listening to your body holds a lot of weight with me. At present it’s saying increase the protein but get that sugar down. So no cakes etc but will have a look at nuts of which this thread has been enlightening.

Ray