I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Super sensitive psa test

User
Posted 09 Feb 2015 at 16:16

I just wanted to ask everyone that comes to this community whether they know if you can get the super sensitive PSA test done locally in Leicestershire or not?

Presently my post da vinci surgery July 2012 at Addenbrooke was totally successful.

However I was told my latest PSA had risen slightly and I need to go back in 3 months rather than 6 months.

This necessitates a 2 hour drive or train journey/bus to the the hospital for a simple blood test.

I don't mind it too much but I think in 2015 we ought to have a bit more flexibility about how PSA tests can be done post surgery.

All three Cities in the East Midlands, Leicester, Nottingham and Derby all seem to now have the state of the art technology to provide men affected with prostate cancer the less invasive treatment. 

Has anyone out there an answer to this question?

Thanks

Peter

User
Posted 19 May 2016 at 08:58
I think there are now on line laboratories that will do it privately and make arrangements for the blood sample to be taken locally, but I've not tried this method myself. When I have mine done at the local hospital it has to be sent away to a central laboratory and takes 2 weeks for the result to come back.
User
Posted 19 May 2016 at 14:35

Ideally your PSA tests should be done at the same lab as there can be differences in the calibration of machines from one lab to another. Also, results, particularly with supersensitive tests, can differ due to circumstances of an individual at any time, recent physical exertion, sex, bicycle riding to name just a few. So men should not be too concerned about small fluctuations. It is progressively upward results that are more of a concern.

Barry
User
Posted 19 May 2016 at 17:39

Peter hasn't been on this site since Feb 2015 - I hope he is well and finally found someone with some caverject in stock!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard