I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello from New Boy

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 21:17
Another one joins the fold. Diagnosed in December, started HT today 19/2/15, RT in 3 months or so.fingers crossed. All lurid details on my profile. Grateful to P.Ca.UK and this site.
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 00:22

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to our community.  I'm sorry you find yourself here but I'm sure you will find tremendous support during your treatment, from a group of people who really care.  I would have found my journey so much more difficult if it hadn't been for everyone here.

You can download the toolkit from this site which gives you loads of useful information.  It might help to look at some of the conversations I have posted during my treatment as I am on HT and have had RT for my PCa.  During RT I posted a daily report of how things were going to try and let people know what they might expect from their own treatment.  Unfortunately, I had a heart attack two weeks following RT which has slightly complicated my situation but apart from that, my treatment has seemed to have worked well for me.

I hope everything goes well for you.  Please take full advantage of the knowledge and experience that members have here. 

Keep in touch.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 00:48

Hi Hugh,
Just to say that I hope the HT/RT does the job for you. It is often the case that HT dramatically reduces the PSA level relatively fast but RT goes on working for around 2 years after being administered due to damage inflicted on the DNA of cancer cells that continues as these cells come to divide over time. Therefore your PSA could continue to gradually drop over many months until it reaches a nadir (it's lowest point) So bear this in mind when you have subsequent PSA tests.

Barry
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 07:13
Hi Hugh

I can only agree with Steve and Barry, you will receive tremendous support here and will read many encouraging stories too. I've now been having HT for 2 years and had 37 sessions of RT from October 2013, both with little side effects. As Barry said your PSA will drop fairly quickly as I have found for myself. Keep updating your progress and people here will 'come alongside' you. Look at my profile to see my journey which hopefully will encourage you.

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 09:21

Hello Hugh and welcome.
At least you didn't ignore your symptoms so are proactive.

Can't help with info re: your treatment but I'm sure the "experts" on here will give you every help they can.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 09:48

Hi Hugh

As my profile shows HT (47 months) and RT(3DRT) served me well as I'm still here 10 years plus now.

Good Luck

Ray

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 10:45
Hi there Hugh

an ex banker too ... I am often wary of saying that as I often get a tirade of comments about fat cat bonuses etc. None of which apply to the lowly player that I was even after 30 years of toil. A bus driver as well you should speak with ExBus .. name is a clue his profile will tell you about his journey.

You are joining a group where many Men have been through and are going through the same treatments as you they are a fabulous bunch.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 21:04
Thankyou so much for all your responses and encouragement. So many stories. Steve, take care of yourself, and my best wishes with the 'ticker' issue - so much that can be done now. Mo, I don't know what to say. You sound very strong. This is a great resource, the Tool Kit is a big help. It's all a journey of discovery, and choices. I'll post future events on my profile. Fingers crossed. Ray, Johsan and Arthur - quite a community here ! Thanks to you all, and best wishes, Hugh.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 00:22

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to our community.  I'm sorry you find yourself here but I'm sure you will find tremendous support during your treatment, from a group of people who really care.  I would have found my journey so much more difficult if it hadn't been for everyone here.

You can download the toolkit from this site which gives you loads of useful information.  It might help to look at some of the conversations I have posted during my treatment as I am on HT and have had RT for my PCa.  During RT I posted a daily report of how things were going to try and let people know what they might expect from their own treatment.  Unfortunately, I had a heart attack two weeks following RT which has slightly complicated my situation but apart from that, my treatment has seemed to have worked well for me.

I hope everything goes well for you.  Please take full advantage of the knowledge and experience that members have here. 

Keep in touch.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 00:48

Hi Hugh,
Just to say that I hope the HT/RT does the job for you. It is often the case that HT dramatically reduces the PSA level relatively fast but RT goes on working for around 2 years after being administered due to damage inflicted on the DNA of cancer cells that continues as these cells come to divide over time. Therefore your PSA could continue to gradually drop over many months until it reaches a nadir (it's lowest point) So bear this in mind when you have subsequent PSA tests.

Barry
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 07:13
Hi Hugh

I can only agree with Steve and Barry, you will receive tremendous support here and will read many encouraging stories too. I've now been having HT for 2 years and had 37 sessions of RT from October 2013, both with little side effects. As Barry said your PSA will drop fairly quickly as I have found for myself. Keep updating your progress and people here will 'come alongside' you. Look at my profile to see my journey which hopefully will encourage you.

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 09:21

Hello Hugh and welcome.
At least you didn't ignore your symptoms so are proactive.

Can't help with info re: your treatment but I'm sure the "experts" on here will give you every help they can.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 09:48

Hi Hugh

As my profile shows HT (47 months) and RT(3DRT) served me well as I'm still here 10 years plus now.

Good Luck

Ray

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 10:45
Hi there Hugh

an ex banker too ... I am often wary of saying that as I often get a tirade of comments about fat cat bonuses etc. None of which apply to the lowly player that I was even after 30 years of toil. A bus driver as well you should speak with ExBus .. name is a clue his profile will tell you about his journey.

You are joining a group where many Men have been through and are going through the same treatments as you they are a fabulous bunch.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 21:04
Thankyou so much for all your responses and encouragement. So many stories. Steve, take care of yourself, and my best wishes with the 'ticker' issue - so much that can be done now. Mo, I don't know what to say. You sound very strong. This is a great resource, the Tool Kit is a big help. It's all a journey of discovery, and choices. I'll post future events on my profile. Fingers crossed. Ray, Johsan and Arthur - quite a community here ! Thanks to you all, and best wishes, Hugh.