Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bad News, Prostate Cancer at 54

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 12:30

Bad News, Prostate Cancer at 54 

I am 54 and have a healthy lifestyle. I enjoy running and cycling and regularly run 10k, half marathons and take part in cycling sportive events, so I thought that cancer was something that happens to other people apart from me; but it looked like my number was up in September 2014. My blood test results showed a PSA of 7 and by early November 2014, my consultant at Nottingham City hospital looked apprehensive as he delivered the words, “I’m sorry to tell you that results of your prostate biopsy has found some cancer cells”. He went on to tell my wife and I that the results had a Gleeson score of 8 based on a scale of 1 to 10 which meant that that cancer was also an aggressive form with a risk of spreading. The consultant’s voice faded into the background as I struggled to take anything else in. The whole experience was like a dream and l felt as if I was eavesdropping on someone else’s conversation. I did however take in various bits of information regarding the treatments such as radiotherapy and the removal of the entire prostate using robotic surgery.

Prostate Cancer survival rates - Immediately after getting the bad news for my consultant, the next step was to sit and chat with the Oncologist Nurse who cares for and educates patients who have cancer. She explained that the survival rates for men with prostate cancer are very encouraging and spent time with me and my wife to tell us all my possible options and passed over a folder full of information showing the various treatments and the various side effects. 

Information and support - It is worthwhile taking someone with you to get your results from the consultant and the Oncologist Nurse (if applicable) because if your result provides you with life changing bad news, you may not be in a fit state to try and take everything in. My wife says that I don’t listen to anyone at the best of times, so it may just be me. My wife really has been great; while I did the typical bloke thing by not even bothering the look at the information provided by the hospital, she went through the complete file provided by the Oncologist Nurse and also scoured the internet for various pieces of information and support regarding prostate cancer.

MRI scan and full body scan - The next step was for me to have an MRI scan of my abdomen and a full body bone scan to see the extent that the cancer may have spread. I was told that I should have my results in about a week and I will be given the results at the next appointment with my consultant. The waiting was the worst part as I was convinced that every ache and pain meant that the cancer was in my bones.

Some good news - The letter from my consultant arrived in the post regarding my next appointment and before I knew it, my wife and I were sitting with my consultant at the Nottingham City Hospital. The results showed that the cancer was all contained within the prostate and there were no signs that the cancer had spread to my bones.  This was some good news when all of the previous news appeared to be bad.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 21:33
Hi cycle runner, I am 50, diagnosed at 49, my PC has spread however the reason for my post is about not giving up exercise. Others feel that cycling is not good, I dont know however I run!!! Despite being on chemo now for 7 weeks I still run lots, I accept I will be slower due to hormone drugs and chemo but can still go the distance. I ran 19 miles last Thursday and will do a marathon in 6 weeks so whilst I am sorry u are here please do not become sedentary as my consultant says it's because of my fitness I am finding chemo easier. I have also changed my diet a lot ( look at PC website for start points here).

If you ever want to chat sport stuff just post and I will give you my uneducated amateur opinion but based on what I have read , feel and do myself.

Take care, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 14:45

Sorry you're here, but the great news is that you have been diagnosed before the cancer has spread and is curable.

There are plenty of threads on here where men have had difficult decisions re treatment. Read everything you can find, and then be wholehearted in what you choose.

Here's to a successful conclusion. You have every chance.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 15:37

Hi Cycle-Runner,

Good new that all is contained and you are definitely in the right side of the curable line.

Always a good idea to have a friend with you at any consultancy, and also a notebook and pen to record whatever you are told.

Also a good idea to make a list of questions BEFORE any consultancy meeting. You would be surprised at how many questions you forget to ask when you start to get any feedback or information that you do not wish to hear.

You are young, fit and diagnosed early, so all in all as good as it can be in the circumstances.

atb

dave

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 15:49

Welcome Cycle-runner

We are a very supportive group, sufferers and partners.
There is a wealth of information on here on the lines of "been there, done that"

Ask anything you like, somebody is bound to be able to help.

I know you got lots of info from your nurse and your wife has been scouring the net for you, but you may find the Toolkit from this site is also a help, even if to only reinforce what you've read elsewhere.
It's under the Publications tab on the main page.

Best wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 16:05
I am so sorry you find yourself posting on this forum at 54 you are probably in with quite a large group of regular posters.

All of the essential tests and waiting for the results seems to take such a long time but yours have all come back with very positive prospects. Hard to think like this just now but you are one of the lucky ones.

In terms of the treatments on offer there will be a few options, do as much thinking and questioning as you need as this is one of the biggest decisions you will make. There are several threads running right now along the same lines and in every case the decision about which treatment to go for has some great supportive and encouraging responses.

If I were a man in your position I would want it gone, out, removed and as soon as possible, However I will leave that for those who actually are Men and actually have been right where you are now to go through.

Whichever option you go for there will be side effects and downstream issues through recovery,

This cancer has no respect for how young, fit or healthy you are one of the myths we commonly try to dispel is that this is an old mans disease. In it's worst manifestations it is very much a younger man's dread disease.

As well as all the leaflets and info that your lovely supportive wife has already gone through there is a toolkit on here which is really good, it can be downloaded from the home page.

You are 100% right having a supportive partner is a wonderful thing. It will become more so in your recovery in the coming months and years.

There are one or two amazing Men on this forum who have managed this battle without that support as well but I am sure they would say having a best friend, family member or just a really good soulmate is a big help. This forum also provides tremendous support.

There are other women who post regularly so if your good lady wife feels like she should be joining in that would be great as well.

You come from Nottingham which is close to Newark, we have a lot of great people in our own social group

we have just had a get together but will be planning another one for early May.

You could also look up another member ColwickChris who is involved in the support group run out of the Maggies centre at your hospital.

You may need to cut down on your cycling for a while or invest in a really, really good gel saddle. That is another subject though and can wait until later down the line. In the tie it took me to write this you have had 2 other posts so people are already looking out for you.

Welcome to the forum

best wishes

xxx

Mo

Edited by member 01 Mar 2015 at 17:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 17:16
Cycle runner

Based on posts from other members we are in one of the better health regions, a lot of things that others guys have to push for come automatically at the city. As Mo said there is a local support group that meets the second Thursday of each month at Maggies,( the strange green building) where you will be most welcome, next one is April.

All the best for your journey, you are in goods hands.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 14:45

Sorry you're here, but the great news is that you have been diagnosed before the cancer has spread and is curable.

There are plenty of threads on here where men have had difficult decisions re treatment. Read everything you can find, and then be wholehearted in what you choose.

Here's to a successful conclusion. You have every chance.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 15:37

Hi Cycle-Runner,

Good new that all is contained and you are definitely in the right side of the curable line.

Always a good idea to have a friend with you at any consultancy, and also a notebook and pen to record whatever you are told.

Also a good idea to make a list of questions BEFORE any consultancy meeting. You would be surprised at how many questions you forget to ask when you start to get any feedback or information that you do not wish to hear.

You are young, fit and diagnosed early, so all in all as good as it can be in the circumstances.

atb

dave

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 15:49

Welcome Cycle-runner

We are a very supportive group, sufferers and partners.
There is a wealth of information on here on the lines of "been there, done that"

Ask anything you like, somebody is bound to be able to help.

I know you got lots of info from your nurse and your wife has been scouring the net for you, but you may find the Toolkit from this site is also a help, even if to only reinforce what you've read elsewhere.
It's under the Publications tab on the main page.

Best wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 16:05
I am so sorry you find yourself posting on this forum at 54 you are probably in with quite a large group of regular posters.

All of the essential tests and waiting for the results seems to take such a long time but yours have all come back with very positive prospects. Hard to think like this just now but you are one of the lucky ones.

In terms of the treatments on offer there will be a few options, do as much thinking and questioning as you need as this is one of the biggest decisions you will make. There are several threads running right now along the same lines and in every case the decision about which treatment to go for has some great supportive and encouraging responses.

If I were a man in your position I would want it gone, out, removed and as soon as possible, However I will leave that for those who actually are Men and actually have been right where you are now to go through.

Whichever option you go for there will be side effects and downstream issues through recovery,

This cancer has no respect for how young, fit or healthy you are one of the myths we commonly try to dispel is that this is an old mans disease. In it's worst manifestations it is very much a younger man's dread disease.

As well as all the leaflets and info that your lovely supportive wife has already gone through there is a toolkit on here which is really good, it can be downloaded from the home page.

You are 100% right having a supportive partner is a wonderful thing. It will become more so in your recovery in the coming months and years.

There are one or two amazing Men on this forum who have managed this battle without that support as well but I am sure they would say having a best friend, family member or just a really good soulmate is a big help. This forum also provides tremendous support.

There are other women who post regularly so if your good lady wife feels like she should be joining in that would be great as well.

You come from Nottingham which is close to Newark, we have a lot of great people in our own social group

we have just had a get together but will be planning another one for early May.

You could also look up another member ColwickChris who is involved in the support group run out of the Maggies centre at your hospital.

You may need to cut down on your cycling for a while or invest in a really, really good gel saddle. That is another subject though and can wait until later down the line. In the tie it took me to write this you have had 2 other posts so people are already looking out for you.

Welcome to the forum

best wishes

xxx

Mo

Edited by member 01 Mar 2015 at 17:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 17:16
Cycle runner

Based on posts from other members we are in one of the better health regions, a lot of things that others guys have to push for come automatically at the city. As Mo said there is a local support group that meets the second Thursday of each month at Maggies,( the strange green building) where you will be most welcome, next one is April.

All the best for your journey, you are in goods hands.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Mar 2015 at 21:33
Hi cycle runner, I am 50, diagnosed at 49, my PC has spread however the reason for my post is about not giving up exercise. Others feel that cycling is not good, I dont know however I run!!! Despite being on chemo now for 7 weeks I still run lots, I accept I will be slower due to hormone drugs and chemo but can still go the distance. I ran 19 miles last Thursday and will do a marathon in 6 weeks so whilst I am sorry u are here please do not become sedentary as my consultant says it's because of my fitness I am finding chemo easier. I have also changed my diet a lot ( look at PC website for start points here).

If you ever want to chat sport stuff just post and I will give you my uneducated amateur opinion but based on what I have read , feel and do myself.

Take care, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 17:47

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback and support. I will follow your suggestion and read everything I can find. 

Thanks

C

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 17:50

Hi Dave,

Thanks for you feedback and support. I will take on your good advice next time I see my consultant and take a notebook and pen to record what I am told and also make a list of questions before that meeting. 

Thanks C

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 17:55

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your welcome, support and feedback. I will spend some time looking up any information that I may need in the future as there are always things that I forget to ask during consultancy meetings or don't realise that I should have asked until after the event.

Thanks C

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 18:09

Hi Mo,

Thanks for your feedback and support. I realise now that there are a lot of men of a similar age to me who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I have already made the decision and undergone the surgery to remove the prostate as this seemed to be my best option. I will be posting my profile update in the near future.

I will look at the information in the toolkit as you have suggested. I will also look out for your social group in Newark in early May and will lookup ColwickChris as suggested.

I will talk to my consultant regarding the cycling as he is also a keen cyclist and should be able to give me some good advice if / when I could restart my cycling but will definitely need to invest in a really good gel saddle..

Thanks C 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 18:15

Hi Chris,

Thanks for you feedback and support. I realise now that I am in one of the better health regions and am lucky to have the facilities provided by the City Hospital. I will have a look at coming along the the local support group at Maggie's in April.

Thanks C

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 18:33

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your advice about not giving up exercise. It looks like you are keeping very fit by running 19 miles recently and preparing to run a marathon.  I have already made the decision and undergone the surgery to remove the prostate as this seemed to be my best option. I will be posting my profile update in the near future. I kept up my running and cycling right up until the day before my operation because as you said, the consultants feel that it will help with the treatment and recovery. I have been a keen cyclist all of my life but was a late starter when in comes to running, as I didn't start until I was 50, but would find if difficult to decide which one I prefer. It would be great if you had any advice as to how to prepare to run a marathon as I have fund that running a half marathon appears to be my limit. I will look at the PC website regarding changing my diet.

All the best with your treatment and wish you a speedy recovery.  

Thanks C

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 23:10

Hello Cycle Runner
I am sorry you are here but there is some tremendous support here in the way of advice and experience.
I was diagnosed with PCa in December 2014 so am just starting on this journey.
Like Irun I'm also a runner albeit now only 10k and Half Marathons.
I am still running and am currently training for my next half marathon (Leeds) and am convinced that maintaining the fitness helps to minimise side effects of the drugs and hopefully to help them do their job.
I also find it improves my morale.
The other thing I changed is my diet - much more fruit, cut out red meat or processed food, no dairy, lots of nuts, lots of verge, everything organic. I have found a difference - like no indigestion, immunity system working better. I'm sure these things help.
If you're running Leeds or GNR let me know, I could at least wave as you hurry past.

Cheers
Paul

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 23:21

Me again
I wanted to suggest a blog of a marathon runner who had the operation to remove PCa but continued running. I found it very reassuring.
The blog is "prostaterunner.blogspot.com"
Hope it helps

Paul