I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PCa report in today's I 03MAR15

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 12:59

A preçis of a report in Nature Genetics suggests that cells that look normal under a microscope may not be so, and are harbouring genetic mutations.

Not sure how much I can reproduce here without breaching copyright, but as I do not have a subscription top Nature Genetics monthly , I will repeat it all and if anyone has an issue with it please delete or amend it.

"Those with PCa may need more radical treatment ( not sure of that is more as in additional more or extreme more, as in super-radical) to remove pre-cancerous cells that appear healthy at pathology.  Apparently many of the healthy looking cells near to prostate tumours were found to contain mutations that can lead to further cancer, so should these also be removed?  

"Genetic sequencing" shows that some of these cells are already carrying "genetic mistakes". "

For more info Google: Prof Ros Eeles, Institute Of Cancer Research in London, hope it is alright to name them as they are named in a published newspaper and nothing controversial is being said about them here? 

dave

Edited by member 03 Mar 2015 at 15:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 14:23

Thanks Dave, with surgery they normally remove a clear margin "in case" and should send to Path-lab whilst still in surgery to check but it still makes one think!

Chris.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 15:40
Dave thanks for sharing this. If you felt you had enough time you might enjoy the Free 6 week course run by Future learn out of Bath University. Several people on this forum have done it including me. It is called Inside cancer: How genes influence cancer development. There is a new course starting in about 6 weeks time I think. I found it took me about 3 - 4 hours a week and I usually hit it all in one go on the Monday after that week's course material had been downloaded. No technical issues even when I was in USA for 4 weeks of it. I am no academic either but I managed to keep up.

It is not PCa specific but that does not matter and there are some parts of the course where you can tailor your response for PCa.

The article you are talking about here is hitting on one of the course topics and that is how the DNA strands can change their sequence from normal healthy cells into mutated non cancerous and then mutated cancerous ones. I guess this is why margins are taken during surgery etc.

I had no idea until I did this course how cancer worked its evil (and believe me there were things I learned that make me feel very justified in describing it like that) or indeed how anyone would ever start to go about about researching for a cure. When you get to know a tiny little bit for example about how cell death can be artificially stopped or started, or how certain cell processes can be targeted to change cell behaviour etc. It helps to explain a lot of things.

I think it is designed to give just enough insight and knowledge to make you want to learn and possibly understand more.

In a rather weird way it helped me to understand better how, and to some extent why Mick died and why treatments just did not work for him. It also gave me a lot of hope for others. Just knowing how much knowledge and how many amazingly gifted scientists are out there working their magic gives me real hope that a far better screening/detection method with potentially a less invasive cure and far less debilitating treatments will become a reality. Possibly even in my lifetime.

Gosh I hadn't expected all that to come out ..sorry if it is TMI etc.

xx

Mo