Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The War that no-one wins

User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 16:45
The Silent Assassin's Futile War

The assassin is silent and is ultimately, extremely effective. It crawls throughout, slowly at first then when enough strength is gathered, inexorably towards yours and its own destruction. Though it has no worthy purpose, during its course, it gets you, it really connects with you - your psyche, your mind, your thoughts, but every day you have your minor triumphs too.

This silent, molecular assassin slowly chips away at hope - but in a strange way fosters an inner strength that you never knew you had making you feel, albeit temporarily, invincible. It destroys complacency in a heartbeat as everything that mattered less before becomes more important and things that mattered more become less so than they were. It gives time to plan. It does not destroy in a day, in an instant as other assassins can. For that gift alone, it is such a huge blessing. It causes immense psychological harm but in a perverse kind of way, on good days, can fortify your mind to do, to see, to experience like nothing could ever motivate you to before.

It often makes you imagine and think of a world without you in it. Still silent, it's power is loud and echoes through your body - but you stand tall while you can because you can and you must - though some days you feel small and vulnerable and alone, on others you feel that you can take on the whole world, and should! The assassin brings out the measure of the word family and friends. Some run away. Some stand tall and show their true worth. However evil this assassin is, it brings out the true colours in people.

For although this is an often very lonely, personal and long nightmare, the silent assassin also brings out everything that is good and bad in equal measure of - about the human soul and of one's spirit. Ultimately, though it may win the war of the flesh, it can nor will it ever destroy the soul nor cloud or darken those days, months, years and memories made before its presence was known. It may ultimately be the kiss of death, but in its its final inglorious act, it too will die a worthless death whilst your life will have had value. In that respect, it will always be a poor loser, come second fiddle, remain that which did not break your spirit nor which defined you as a person but which ultimately redefined you in a way that is so fantastically unfathomable. That is the bitter irony of the silent assassin that is prostate cancer.

BMC 2015

Edited by member 23 Mar 2015 at 13:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 21:45

Bazza,

Truly a great posting

User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 22:11

Superb Bazza - this should be a sticky somewhere.

Alan, there is no such thing as a cure for cancer, only remission. And sadly, even some of those who get an official remission find it comes back some day.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 22:32
BRILLIANT Post Bazza
Carol
User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 23:05
Alanb41252.

There is no cure, least of all for those in the category in which this post was placed: Advanced and Metastatic disease. Just that hopefully long, slow but inexorable fall from grace.

Bazza
User
Posted 22 Mar 2015 at 23:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Superb Bazza - this should be a sticky somewhere.

Alan, there is no such thing as a cure for cancer, only remission. And sadly, even some of those who get an official remission find it comes back some day.

And sadly, therein potentially lies "our" future, such as it is or may be. 

All we can do is make the most of every day and enjoy that day, and hopefully the next and another.  I am 2 years into my 5, and need to make more of what remains.  

dave

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 01:28
Enjoyed your fine piece of writing Bazza. It is best to live our lives as though each day may be the last. Hard to do though. With this "assasin" it is harder to do this because it is such a slow process that one can be lulled into complacency again after diagnosis. Our case is much like your own in terms of treatment and initial histology although my OH is much older and may see his life out ultimately dying of some other cause. Cheers Georgina

Edited by member 23 Mar 2015 at 09:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 07:04
Such a poignant piece, sums up just about all my emotions so far4 months in to this journey of unknown length but known destination.
Country boy has an interesting thought "2 years into my 5" should I be thinking like that? Am I 4 months into my 60? On initial diagnosis I was told 2 to 10 years but think 4.
I try to think that I will be ok this year (after chemo and RT) and that should last next too but I can't plan beyond that in my head
Thanks for the words Bazza

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 07:57

Nice piece Barry

I said in another post that those who don't have mets or undiscovered mets also live a life of uncertainty. I have a life for 6 months between blood tests.

I shall see tomorrow if that continues throughout this summer

Bri

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 08:51
Good luck for tomorrow Bri. Whatever happens, it will be a beautiful summer for you. Plan a holiday, drink a bottle of wine and celebrate that, today, you can and should do these things.

Bazza
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 09:39

Cheers Barry and throw into the mix that our first grandchild is due tomorrow. I think you are right

Bri

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:21
We may not have power over the future but we sure have it over today. That, in itself, often provides a blissful release from the usual angst we all suffer to varying degrees. Wow, a grandchild. Count your blessings and spoil them rotten.

Best wishes

Bazza
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 10:27
Bazza
I love your writing, always have as did Mick who genuinely loved listening to me read your full story from your blog for him as he was fighting his final battle.
This is a truly beautiful piece and should be published far wider for anyone with or without this disease to read and then maybe understand just what it means.
If I coud hug you right now I would
Thankyou
xxx
Mo
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 11:56

What a beautifully written and poignant post Bazza.

Barry
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 11:57

As usual Bazza a wonderful post that touches the heart and the mind. You always manage to bring a tear to my eye with your honesty and beautifully writing.

Thank you.

BFN

Julie

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 17:07

Great stuff, Bazza !

Fiona x

User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:08
WOW!!!
User
Posted 23 Mar 2015 at 19:42

Poetry. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. X

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 12:38

Country Boy, try not to think about 5 years. Look at my profile, I was diagnosed in 2009 with G7 (4+3) and a higher PSA

than yours. I have had RP and RT and I am still not on any drugs yet 6 years after the event.

I don't even think of dying , got too much to do. I am learning Italian and harmonica and my dogs need walking, I play guitar

go walking, go to the gym now and then and have a few jars. The only thing I am a bit careful with is diet but I ain't going nowhere for a

long while yet.

Stay positive

Kind regards

Ray

User
Posted 24 Mar 2015 at 12:40

Great post Bazza

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 13:02

Bazza

Lucky enough to be around for 10 years in which time I’ve read many posts, this is one of those that will stick in my mind. Great post – keep posting like that for many a year and more

Ray

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 19:31
And so after an 83% PSA drop to 0.36 after supplementing my Prostap with Casodex, I had a slight rise six weeks ago to 0.43. This week, alas, my PSA has risen again to 0.94. With limited armoury, it looks like I will very soon start that inexorable fast slide to full blown metastasis and, ultimately, death. My onco has suggested I consider going on a Spartan trial but I'm not sure what this is or if it will be any help. Any one in the know, I'd be grateful to learn more.

A very despondent Bazza.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2015 at 19:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 19:52

Bazza,

Here's a link:

http://public.ukcrn.org.uk/search/StudyDetail.aspx?StudyID=15067

and contact details.

Flexi

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 20:38

Bazza,

As I read this the Spartan trial is for non-metatastic PCa so if this is being suggested does that not mean that despite some castrate-resistant it is still confined to the prostate. That is not a fast slide to me, that is still hopeful and a long way yet to go.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 20:44
I have no prostate. The cancer is in two nearby lymph nodes, albeit microscopic
User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 22:15
Bazza
I am so sorry you have had this result. we know how hard the journey has been for you with so many ups and downs.
The increase in PSA must be a cause for concern especially after you have already had surgery and salvage RT but there are still treatments out there and options for you.
Lots of men on here start out where you are now and are still living a great life so please until you have more information do not despair.
The Spartan trial might be just right for you especally as you are Spartacus ... at least look into it.

Thinking of you and your family
xx
Mo
User
Posted 16 Apr 2015 at 23:20

Oh Bazza, or  as Mandy says Spartacus,

I know how hard you struggle with your thoughts and a rise in psa will no doubt bring you down, but please hold those thoughts in check you have so many options still on the table. 

Try and stay strong you are Spartacus.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 22 Apr 2015 at 22:04

Bazza,
My O/H was diagnosed 24 months ago., with metastases in the spine, ribs and shoulder prostae cancer, a Gleason score of 7
and a very sure outlook. He started off with Casodex, as well as a Prostap injection 3-monthely. He came of the Casodex in June, and went on to Abiraterone He has been on these meds. since June last year, and until seemed to be doing well. His PSA, which in the beginning was 270, with his Alk. P 290. That has come down, and so has his PSA, but only to 93. Deep disappointment.! Onco. now suggesting monthly PSA tests, and then a possible move on to dextrmorphone???!!!. When I asked him about Alpharadin, he said Oh, Yes, we can try that too. It all seemed a bit casual. he had had the usual side effects of fatigue and hot flushes. However, last Friday, his mood completely changed, for absolutely no reason, and he has been really perky the last few days. Maybe it is the sunshine.

THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVELY POST. IT BROUGHT A TEAR TO MEY EYE, AND A LUMP TO MY THROAT, BUT I FELT SO MUCH BETTER
jENNY

User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 10:24

Bazza. I too am sorry that your PSA has risen. As Mo rightly says there are many other options available to you. For someone as insightful about life I think you will fight on and never accept defeat. Hopefully much more life to savour yet .. Cheers Georgina

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 21:07
Talking of old posts, here's one from my archive which for me means more than ever now that the bones are giving way.

Bazza
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 22:03

Ah yes - one of the greats. One day (hopefully not for a long time yet) you will leave us and I shall share this on your anniversary to help new people make sense of the journey some will tread.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 22:32
Thank you Bazza for bringing this back to the front of the forum although our writing is similar 😉In so many ways ( we could have been twins) . Seriously that is one of my most favourite posts ever , its in my memory hall of fame .
B FN
Julie Xx
Yes that's a double kiss