I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter Leg Bag Management

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 12:51

I am 7 days post op, after a radical prostatectomy and coping OK with most things except my leg bag, I have been told to walk around as much as possible to aid recovery, but when I walk the catheter seems to be moving around too much and causes burning in the urethra and leakage, I have found a sleeve a little better than leg straps but not a complete solution. I went for a short walk this morning, just a couple of hundred yards and my "G" strap broke causing a half full bag to slide down my leg whilst walking, and be suspended in a painful manner from a most tender part of my anatomy. I am certain that many of you chaps must have had similar difficulties and found solutions, there seems to be no information readily available on how to position and secure a leg bag and associated plumbing.

There must be a wealth of experience out there please help I refuse to be tethered by my catheter

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 18:17

Hi Bernard,

I would walk around less and empty the bag more often!

I found wearing Y-fronts gave a bit of added support to wearing the straps. I also used a bit of baby oil from time to time to help with the rubbing.

At 7 days post-op you should be close to TWOC, so nearly there.

flexi

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 20:49

Hi Bernard,
I had mine in for 3 weeks, if it any help this is what I did: The bags I was given had 2 slots in to pass an elastic & velcro strap through and using that with the strap behind the bag I fastened the bag to my calf with the strap below the knee around the calf muscle. I strapped the pipe to my thigh using another 2 straps and left the slack at the top so that I could move move my leg without tugging on the Foley catheter. The straps had a very "grippy" rubber layer on them that stopped them slipping

I emptied the bag simply by putting my foot on the loo seat and opening the tap.

Like flexi I emptied it regularly and wore fairly tight briefs to keep things still and well supported

good luck
Batholith

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 21:21

Hi, did they not give you any local anaesthetic gel to squeeze into the eye of your penis? If you are likely to have the catheter for a while longer, perhaps ask your GP

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 22:23

Bernard

I have had a catheter on three separate occasions with no real issues, have you got a strap at the top of your thigh that holds the pipe at the "Y" joint, so even if the bag drops it should not pull on the penis.  Then two straps for the bag, when walking I fastened one above the knee and one below and twisted the bag to the inside of the leg.  I was given a tube of instillagel to lube the pipe £2.50 from chemist.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 25 Mar 2015 at 22:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 22:35

The location and the pain you are describing might be indicative of a urinary tract infection (UTI). Have you ruled this out? I had one when my catheter was in, and it was the most painful experience I can recall.

And the catheter, if dangling, should not be putting pain on to your penis as the balloon at the end is anchored, or should be anchored, at the exit of your bladder. It may be that your balloon needs more inflation?

atb

dave

User
Posted 27 Mar 2015 at 14:43

Thanks to everyone for there postings, it turns out that most of my difficulties were due to the nurse who dealt with my transition from the hospital bag that I woke up from surgery with to  the leg bag, the problems and solutions were;
P) The catheter was not correctly secured to the “G” strap allowing the tube to slide through.
S) The spare “G” strap that I was supplied with had a simple illustration on the packaging showing the correct fastening.
P) The elasticated straps supplied with the leg bag did nothing to stabilize the position of the bag.
S) Replaced with a fabric sleeve, in this case “Colplast Aquasleve” other brands available, a sleeve seems to work much better than straps on tapered legs without surface fat.
P) The “G” strap was placed around the highest point of my thigh resulting in a loop in the catheter before entering my urethra, this was fine when lying in bed clothed only in a hospital gown, but caused unnecessary movement when moving around especially in the presence of close fitting underpants resulting in heavy leakage and extreme discomfort when moving.
S) After discharge on Friday I eventually had a visit from the district nurse on Wednesday afternoon, with wonderful gentleness and patience she repositioned the strap, rotated the attachment between the bag and catheter to remove the twist and showed me how to position the catheter and strap correctly. What bliss it does not hurt to move and leakage is down to 3 pads a day.
P) Minor chafing between the catheter and the head of the penis even with improved positioning.
S) Just started using Instagell Optilube thanks to the recommendation from colwickchris, great call Chris it makes quite a difference and hopefully is the last piece of the jigsaw.
I will be having a cystograme in two weeks time and then on to TWOC if things have healed sufficiently, there is some concern that healing may be a little slow as I had brachitherapy previously and this apparently makes healing slower, of course I am impatient but hopefully I have plenty of time having got rid of those D*** tumors.

It would be really useful if someone suitably qualified produced a simple illustrated application sheet sheet showing the correct use of catheters, straps bags etc. I the world of engineering, nobody will use or specify a product without adequate documentation and application data, if anyone from  any of the catheter product manufacturers  sees this posting it is time to wake up, a few hours of work can save many days of misery for a vast number of people, it would even make commercial sense, people like to buy from manufacturers who give them the information that the need.

User
Posted 27 Mar 2015 at 19:56

Bernard

I am slightly confused with your comment "down to three pads a day", I was also a Da Vinci patient and the only time I leaked or by passed was when sitting on the loo passing a motion. Perhaps others would please comment on their experiances of leakage. Are you monitoring your liquid in and out ?  I take it you are drinking plenty of fluids. it may be the holes in the catheter are partially blocked and it may need your medical team to do a quick flush. On discharge I was told do not let anyone but urology change your catheter.

When it comes to your catheter removal make sure it comes out nice and easy, my surgeon is convinced my stricture was caused by the catheter being pulled out rather than slid out.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Mar 2015 at 20:14

Chris sounds like u had better luck than me on the leakage front, when I asked on the ward if my leakage was normal I was told not to worry and was given four Jumbo nappies to get me home (GROSS).  As for changing the catheter the district nurse only repositioned the external plumbing, she also advised that she did not think that there was a blockage as I have no leakage at night despite filling a night bag + leg bag   in 8 hours.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 19:06
You are wasting your time Elizabeth - Bernard posted over 4 years ago and hasn't logged on since December 2015. I would hope he has managed to get rid of the catheter in the intervening years!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 19:51

Lyn

Have you looked at Elizabeth's profile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 21:21
Yep 😡