I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy

User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 10:53

Just wanted to share my personal experience of this procedure.

I had an option to getting this done over six months ago but opted for a MRI scan instead which came back all clear. However, my last PSA test two month ago showed it was still on the rise and my only option was a biopsy. Although I really didn't have to wait two months I decided to take my time because I wasn't looking forward to it! I had read about it being painful for some people and even had a second hand account from a friend of a friend who said it was the worse experience of his life!

Had it done last Friday. Got to the hospital around 10am, was given antibiotics at 11.30am and had the procedure at 12.30pm. Yes, it is a very uncomfortable but not painful. I did find the noise when they were taking the sample a bit disconcerting though, sounds like a giant stapler.

A word of CAUTION – it is recommended that you drink plenty of fluids afterwards. I drank gallons of water, close to 2 litres and although I managed to urinate before leaving the hospital, due the prostate becoming inflamed it took me another 3 hours before I could go again!

This caused me a lot of panic because my bladder was full and wanted to urinate but nothing happened. I was in severe discomfort because of it for hours. So yes, do drink fluids but don't go overboard like I did!

Good news is that there isn't any real pain afterwards, just a dull ache which went away after taking paracetamol. Blood in urine stopped after going twice and blood in stool disappeared after two days.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 20:40

Hi Yummy,

Good to hear that your TRUS experience wasn't painful. I'm afraid mine was and the experience very unpleasant - much like your friend's friend.

The results of that were inconclusive and so I was then sent for a Tenplate Biopsy, which was painless, thanks to the general anaesthetic, and an altogether much easier and better experience for me. Before having it I was of course apprehensive but thanks to one of the guys on this site putting my mind at rest, it was much as he had described. I would now recommend it to all if they're able to get it. It's treated as day surgery, and hence more time consuming than TRUS, but that was still worth it for me, and they are able to take many more cores too - in my case 46.
Good luck with your results Yummy and all the very best,
Cobbles

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 14:08
Hi Yummy.

I can't tell you about my TRUS biopsy experience cos I had mine done on the PROMIS trial. I had a combined TRUS and Template biopsy under general aenesthetic. The results for me were the suprise. The TRUS results were all clear. The Template biopsy identified PCa. Glad I didn't go through the aggro of TRUS for a false negative! The downside was, after all the biopsy samples my poor prostate had a sulk and stopped me peeing so I was catheterised for a few days. But that all went back to normal after a week.

Cheers

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2015 at 20:29

Just posting to say hi ..I cannot comment on your procedure being a girlie but just wanted to make sure your post keeps near the top so others that can reply to you.

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:28

Thanks Mo :-)

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:40
Think you had a lucky experience. Paul was in pain afterwards and they ruptured a hemeroid he didn't know he had. He ended up back at the GP for a check up because he was massively bleeding from his bum.

Turned out he had developed an infection and a water infection as well. He felt poorly for about a week with a fever then had diorrehora from the antibiotics.

It's fair to say he won't be any rush to say it's been a good experience.

Thanks

Lonners x

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 17:15

I think more men breeze through it than have problems. John had his biopsy on the way to work, didn't really think about it again until he was called back to the hospital to get the results. No pain, no blood in semen, urine or stools, no infection, nothing. Perhaps he was calm about it because he hadn't read anything on the topic and didn't realise what they were going to do until he actually got there 😳

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 17:37

My TRUS biopsy was pretty uneventful...

I was chatting to the nurse all the way through it, but still counting the 'shots' as they were carried out ( 12 in all )

To me it  felt like someone flicking me with a small elastic band each time a sample was taken but nothing to bother me.

I was prescribed an extended course of ciprofloxacin as I had been prone to prostatitis in the past, but fortunately I did nor suffer any infection....

No blood in stools, but blood present in urine for a few days, and blood present in semen for a few weeks.

Maybe I was lucky? 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 18:54
My OH had his today, he was expecting pain and discomfort but was then surprised that apart from feeling like he'd had a slight electric shock all was ok.

He was told to drink 2 cups of water before he left the hospital then just to keep hydrated at home. He's wee'd without trouble, no pain, no bleeding and feels ok .

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 19:04

For the benefit of anyone about to have this done or thinking of having it done, another tick in the "No big deal" and "no problems" box from me.

I had read the odd horror story but most of what I read seems dot indicate that these were the very unlucky and very few and far between?

It would be a very sad thing if one man was put off by reading of one of the very rare occasions when this does not go straightforward and without complication and did not go and have the procedure that may well save their life.

Not able to comment on the fact that for one chop it was supposedly the worst experience of his life, but from what I have read, for the majority it is no big deal. Better than death from an undiagnosed PCa in any case.

This is one of those posts threads that should carry a caveat.

atb

dave

Edited by member 27 Apr 2015 at 23:11  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 20:40

Hi Yummy,

Good to hear that your TRUS experience wasn't painful. I'm afraid mine was and the experience very unpleasant - much like your friend's friend.

The results of that were inconclusive and so I was then sent for a Tenplate Biopsy, which was painless, thanks to the general anaesthetic, and an altogether much easier and better experience for me. Before having it I was of course apprehensive but thanks to one of the guys on this site putting my mind at rest, it was much as he had described. I would now recommend it to all if they're able to get it. It's treated as day surgery, and hence more time consuming than TRUS, but that was still worth it for me, and they are able to take many more cores too - in my case 46.
Good luck with your results Yummy and all the very best,
Cobbles

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 22:56

My experience of TRUS was similar to Luther's but agree with Cobbles if you can arrange a Template biopsy then do ...... it will give a much better 'picture' of what's going on inside the prostate.

dl

Edited by member 27 Apr 2015 at 22:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 23:05

My experience too was similar to Luther's. Also agree with devon-lad that template biopsy is preferable. Also, have an MRI scan before the biopsy. Having it after as I did makes the scan image unclear.

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 14:08
Hi Yummy.

I can't tell you about my TRUS biopsy experience cos I had mine done on the PROMIS trial. I had a combined TRUS and Template biopsy under general aenesthetic. The results for me were the suprise. The TRUS results were all clear. The Template biopsy identified PCa. Glad I didn't go through the aggro of TRUS for a false negative! The downside was, after all the biopsy samples my poor prostate had a sulk and stopped me peeing so I was catheterised for a few days. But that all went back to normal after a week.

Cheers