Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Getting fit

User
Posted 09 May 2015 at 17:38
Hi all

New to the forum joined last year but have been busy dealing with P/C , couldn't be bothered with the computer the cancer messed with my head to much. My name is Alan, diagnosed Sept 14 with a PSA of 6.41 and a Gleason of 7 3+4 . Oncologist said the treatment would be Hormone therapy Bicultamide for 28 days - Zoladex implants for six months and then Radiotherapy for 7 1/2 weeks 37 treatments, this after MRI and Bone scans to determine where the cancer was. Fortunatly it was confined to the Prostate so I went ahead , just finished R/Th at end of March and the H/Th runs out next week , big week coming 14th March going to see Oncologist , had my PSA blood test last Thurs.

Feeling OK still get very tired after R/Th and the hot flushes are still there, put over 1/2 stone on round my stomach, trying to exercise - walking ,hoping to get back to playing bowls soon and would love to use he bike but it seems a bit iffy !!,so will take advice from Oncologist. I have read some of the suggestions and it seems to say keep away from the bike 48 hours before your PSA test other than that maybe OK , think I will wait.

Alan

Edited by member 10 May 2015 at 14:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 16:41

Hi all
Saw my Oncologist yesterday for my 6 week after treatment appointment good news, my PSA has gone down to 0.30 he was happy and so was I, more releived been stressed for the last 2/3 weeks knowing the check up was coming. Seeing him again in 6 months by then he says the side effects of the Hormone Therapy should subside, all good news.
I came to the forum late and have not contributed anything, but have been reading the postings while going through my treatments , they helped me alot and I thank all of you and wish everyone all the best with your treatments.
I would also like to thank Prostate Cancer UK for the litrature they sent me, they do a great job and this forum is a great help to many people, it's a comfort to talk over the forum and it makes you realise your not on your own, cancer is a very lonely road. I likend the forum to the companionship I felt while going through R/Th ,7 1/2 weeks is long time and I met some great friends all fighting the same thing , I missed them when it was over.

All the best to everyone
Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:10

Hi, a belated welcome to the forum no one wants to join.  I am glad your results are good and hope this continues.  Atb,El.

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:19

Good news Alan...keep posting. Sometimes posts on here 'slip' through without all seeing

Waiting for PSA results can be difficult 'sqeaky bum time'

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:32

Hello Alan and welcome from me to.

Great relief eh to get that first PSA done and dusted.?

Hope the side effects of the treatment doesn't last too long - but annoying as they are- well your here to tell the tale.

Good luck and keep posting, especially if things get on top of you. We'll cheer you up !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 22:56

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum it's interesting that you say that you joined quite some time ago but have only just posted . I think that lots of people are hesitant for lots of reasons to post and make that first contact, I hope that this will help to persuade others that we are all a friendly bunch and a problem shared is a problem halved.

Good news on the psa , if you feel it helps you then keep posting.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 07:00
Hi Alan

This site is so encouraging and supportive and you may find that an issue comes up that is helpful to you personally, I certainly have. I've put things on here I've not been sure about regarding my situation and someone has always come up with a helpful answer. You may find that by posting your experiences you will help others too.

Arthur

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 10:44
Hi Alan

Glad that you had the inclination to post, I too waited months to do so, but have found it the most useful resource available and a few smiles along the way with some of the great personalities on here.

Your diagnosis is similar to my OHs who was diagnosed in 2011.

Let us know how you get on.

all the best

Alison

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 21:24
Thanks Arthur

I think your right the smallest thing may be of help to someone.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 16:41

Hi all
Saw my Oncologist yesterday for my 6 week after treatment appointment good news, my PSA has gone down to 0.30 he was happy and so was I, more releived been stressed for the last 2/3 weeks knowing the check up was coming. Seeing him again in 6 months by then he says the side effects of the Hormone Therapy should subside, all good news.
I came to the forum late and have not contributed anything, but have been reading the postings while going through my treatments , they helped me alot and I thank all of you and wish everyone all the best with your treatments.
I would also like to thank Prostate Cancer UK for the litrature they sent me, they do a great job and this forum is a great help to many people, it's a comfort to talk over the forum and it makes you realise your not on your own, cancer is a very lonely road. I likend the forum to the companionship I felt while going through R/Th ,7 1/2 weeks is long time and I met some great friends all fighting the same thing , I missed them when it was over.

All the best to everyone
Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:10

Hi, a belated welcome to the forum no one wants to join.  I am glad your results are good and hope this continues.  Atb,El.

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:19

Good news Alan...keep posting. Sometimes posts on here 'slip' through without all seeing

Waiting for PSA results can be difficult 'sqeaky bum time'

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:32

Hello Alan and welcome from me to.

Great relief eh to get that first PSA done and dusted.?

Hope the side effects of the treatment doesn't last too long - but annoying as they are- well your here to tell the tale.

Good luck and keep posting, especially if things get on top of you. We'll cheer you up !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 20:57

Thanks to everybody for your replies and best wishes, still trying to find my way round the site

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 22:56

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum it's interesting that you say that you joined quite some time ago but have only just posted . I think that lots of people are hesitant for lots of reasons to post and make that first contact, I hope that this will help to persuade others that we are all a friendly bunch and a problem shared is a problem halved.

Good news on the psa , if you feel it helps you then keep posting.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 07:00
Hi Alan

This site is so encouraging and supportive and you may find that an issue comes up that is helpful to you personally, I certainly have. I've put things on here I've not been sure about regarding my situation and someone has always come up with a helpful answer. You may find that by posting your experiences you will help others too.

Arthur

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 10:44
Hi Alan

Glad that you had the inclination to post, I too waited months to do so, but have found it the most useful resource available and a few smiles along the way with some of the great personalities on here.

Your diagnosis is similar to my OHs who was diagnosed in 2011.

Let us know how you get on.

all the best

Alison

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 21:20
Hi Julie

Thanks for reply , I've been following postings for a couple of months and not had the confidence to get involved until I saw so many cases similar to mine.

Having gone so far through the treatment I felt I could speak from experience and it may help somebody , I hope it has.

Thanks again for the support.

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 21:24
Thanks Arthur

I think your right the smallest thing may be of help to someone.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:13
Hi Alison

Thanks for reply. Your right about the smiles when I was going through R/Th we had some real laughs, downing 2 glasses of water, having your treatment then dashing to the toilet after, caused amusement from other patients having different treatments. It may seem strange to say but I missed going , you all have the same in common, Cancer and it seems to form a bond between you.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:35
Hi Alan

Ref your latest post it seems like you were having treatment at the hospital I had mine, but where you live I know you didn't but it's interesting it's a similar experience altogether - dashing to the loo after the RT, I remember someone who ran so fast you wouldn't have believed it for his age! The relationships etc. and I did miss the people I met every day.

Arthur