I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Knowing whether my dad will be ok

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 19:23
Hi all I'm new to this and joined as I wanted support with others with family members with prostate cancer. I'm 22 and my dad who is 63 got diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer in November 2010, his psa was around 20. He had radiotherapy and has hormone injections every three months, his count went down to 00.1 but has slowly risen throughout the years, it's now 2015 and his psa is 14, they can't remove the cancer but can only keep it at bay. He may have to have chemotherapy, how long can all this treatment and life go on for?? Just wanted to know if anyone has any close stories to this and would just like some support, Thankyou, Heather x
User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 20:54

Hello Heather and welcome.

I cannot answer regarding radiotherapy and hormone treatments as our was different.

However, there are many men on here, some with incurable Prostate cancer, who are living with and will continue living with cancer for a long time to come.
Many of them have had higher PSA than your dads.

If you click on the name under somebody's icon, you will be able to pick up their profile and read their story.
Look at Yorkhull's for example.
Please don't despair at this stage. There are many treatments available and new ones coming in as time goes on.

I expect somebody else will be along at some stage to offer their advice.

In the meantime, you could look at the site's Toolkit obtainable by going to the Home page, Information then Publications. Have a look and see what would be relevant to you and order it.

If you want to speak to somebody then you can ring the nurses on the site for reassurance.

Best Wishes Heather
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 21:46
Thankyou for your lovely reply Sandra it means a lot - I will keep all that in mind

Heather xx

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 22:28

Hi Heather

My cancer had already spread when I was diagnosed aged 51 in Feb 2008 http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif.  Despite that I'm still here - check out my profile. Current PSA is 1720 and I've had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at this disease. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif. Still feeling fine and off to Paris this weekend for yet another "jolly". http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 11 May 2015 at 22:51
Hi Heather

My husband was diagnosed around the same time as your dad and had a PSA of 25 but was incurable. He's still here, still fine and not yet had to have chemo. I know you feel you want to have an idea of how long he has left, but no one knows. All men are different in that regard, and it might interest you to know that my hubby is on an old form of HT called Stillbestrill and has been for more than 18 months, his PSA is rising now and our next step is chemo or Enzalutimide - we are not 100% sure which it will be yet but we are not afraid, he has done so well so far I'm confident that he will continue to do so. We don't have any time frame in mind (I think it's best not to) and just feel determined to enjoy our lives. Allister is a real poster boy for both longevity with a very high PSA and lots of mets and for enjoying life - he is a really good example to us all.

Lots of love

Allison xx

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 06:26

There you go Heather.
I knew the others would be along to reassure you and I'm sure they have.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 23:33
Wow Allistar what an amazing story and reassurance! Keep going you're doing awesome!

Allison what lovely words too it really does mean a lot to me. I have a big close family but me my dad mum and brother (29years old) he has his own life, dad and mum split 2 years ago we have never been extremely close family but we are getting there, so it means a lot to hear from you all it really does xx

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 23:34
Thankyou Sandra xx