I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Genomic revolution by future Learn

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 12:37
For anyone interested, Future Learn have released a new course today being run by Glasgow University. This is a 6 week course starting on 17/8 it takes about 4 hours each week and is completely free. Its full title is Cancer in the 21st Century a genomic revolution.

I know quite a few of us have completed the course run by Bath University understanding the genetics of cancer, well this takes that learning to the next stage.

This is not PCa specific but the research and treatents being discussed are beginning to enter the field of PCa at diagnosis and then with bespoke treatments.

The course will be quite technical but there is loads of help available, I did O level biology at school 40 years ago and the went on to specialse in Maths but I managed to keep up. If others sign up we can form our own little course support group if that helps.

I signed up for this today.

Knowledge is power (well it certainly improves understanding!)

xxx

Mo

Edited by member 13 May 2015 at 20:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 12:37
For anyone interested, Future Learn have released a new course today being run by Glasgow University. This is a 6 week course starting on 17/8 it takes about 4 hours each week and is completely free. Its full title is Cancer in the 21st Century a genomic revolution.

I know quite a few of us have completed the course run by Bath University understanding the genetics of cancer, well this takes that learning to the next stage.

This is not PCa specific but the research and treatents being discussed are beginning to enter the field of PCa at diagnosis and then with bespoke treatments.

The course will be quite technical but there is loads of help available, I did O level biology at school 40 years ago and the went on to specialse in Maths but I managed to keep up. If others sign up we can form our own little course support group if that helps.

I signed up for this today.

Knowledge is power (well it certainly improves understanding!)

xxx

Mo

Edited by member 13 May 2015 at 20:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 22:59
Maureen

the bath course was good and very relevant, you will be able to keep up with it I am sure if you get stuck PM me and I will try and point you in the right direction. I think that course is going to run again soon.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 16:05
I have just completed the first week of this course. It has started really well. At the moment there is a very lively debate going on online around a question posed as the closing item this week " Do people believe that there will be a cure for every cancer in due course" some interesting rather sci fi theorists out there with some off piste fanciful ideas, then of course there are the conspiracy theorists who think the drug and insurance companies will ensure that this never happens etc. Then there are the more rational answers along the lines that cures will be found for the most common cancers but better still they might not need to be found if screening and treatments eliminate any progression.

The first part of the course was a quick recap on basic genetics of cancer as covered in the Bath university course.

There was a really interesting section on pathology/histology which included types of biopsies, the different ways of processing these depending on circumstances, leading into the pathology report itself.

A bit on the statistics of cancer and factors that can contribute to cancer occurring.

In amongst the various study items there is a patient's story which will run over the full 6 weeks.

There are a number of items that require a little research to complete, this process was aided with a really good presentation on how to get the most from google or similar searches in the least time.

The penultimate section was a 5 question quiz to check your understanding of everything covered in the first week ... not too taxing and points scored go into the course assessment.

Fnal section was the live debate as mentioned at the start of this post.

The technology used is simple (must be I can use it) the course content is all availabe to download and refer back to as often as you need to and is well put together.

Next week we move into G mapping and inherited cancers amongst other things.

I will report back at the end of the 6 weeks if anyone is interested. The course is repeated at least once every year. I think Allister (Alathays) did this one last year.

Keeps my brain active and severely reduces my alcohol intake for 6 weeks !!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend

best wishes

xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 09:16

Hi Mo,
saw this in an email yesterday.
I must admit I dismissed it as being a bit too generic.

However, if you are giving it your recommendation then I will reconsider! :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Kevin

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 20:17
Kev if you like I will do a heads up once I have done it. They repeat them at least twice a year.

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 21:33
Hi Mo

This course is a bit beyond me but did you find the Bath University course beneficial? I'm looking to do that when it's next released.

Thanks

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 22:59
Maureen

the bath course was good and very relevant, you will be able to keep up with it I am sure if you get stuck PM me and I will try and point you in the right direction. I think that course is going to run again soon.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 16:05
I have just completed the first week of this course. It has started really well. At the moment there is a very lively debate going on online around a question posed as the closing item this week " Do people believe that there will be a cure for every cancer in due course" some interesting rather sci fi theorists out there with some off piste fanciful ideas, then of course there are the conspiracy theorists who think the drug and insurance companies will ensure that this never happens etc. Then there are the more rational answers along the lines that cures will be found for the most common cancers but better still they might not need to be found if screening and treatments eliminate any progression.

The first part of the course was a quick recap on basic genetics of cancer as covered in the Bath university course.

There was a really interesting section on pathology/histology which included types of biopsies, the different ways of processing these depending on circumstances, leading into the pathology report itself.

A bit on the statistics of cancer and factors that can contribute to cancer occurring.

In amongst the various study items there is a patient's story which will run over the full 6 weeks.

There are a number of items that require a little research to complete, this process was aided with a really good presentation on how to get the most from google or similar searches in the least time.

The penultimate section was a 5 question quiz to check your understanding of everything covered in the first week ... not too taxing and points scored go into the course assessment.

Fnal section was the live debate as mentioned at the start of this post.

The technology used is simple (must be I can use it) the course content is all availabe to download and refer back to as often as you need to and is well put together.

Next week we move into G mapping and inherited cancers amongst other things.

I will report back at the end of the 6 weeks if anyone is interested. The course is repeated at least once every year. I think Allister (Alathays) did this one last year.

Keeps my brain active and severely reduces my alcohol intake for 6 weeks !!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend

best wishes

xx

Mo