Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SCAN RESULTS FOR MY BRAVE DAD

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:22

Hi to all,

My dad has had his CT scan last Monday, prior to his 4th chemotherapy session on Thursday.  We get the results tomorrow, this will determine whether he continues with the palliative chemotherapy.  It feels weird that those results are sitting on someone's desk and that after a short meeting tomorrow tea-time it will tell us whether things have improved.  Obviously we all have our fingers crossed and everything else.  We pray that the disease has regressed.  Dad's oncologist has advised that there will be no chemo on Thursday if the disease has continued to progress or there is no change.  My dad agrees with this. 

My brave and beautiful dad will take all in his stride what ever the result.  Plllllease let it be positive, he deserves a break.

Jo x

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 22:22

Hi to all,

My dad has had his CT scan last Monday, prior to his 4th chemotherapy session on Thursday.  We get the results tomorrow, this will determine whether he continues with the palliative chemotherapy.  It feels weird that those results are sitting on someone's desk and that after a short meeting tomorrow tea-time it will tell us whether things have improved.  Obviously we all have our fingers crossed and everything else.  We pray that the disease has regressed.  Dad's oncologist has advised that there will be no chemo on Thursday if the disease has continued to progress or there is no change.  My dad agrees with this. 

My brave and beautiful dad will take all in his stride what ever the result.  Plllllease let it be positive, he deserves a break.

Jo x

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 21:11
Jo

sending a Big Hug to you and family

Carol

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 11:54

Hi Jo,

I have only just seen this post and wanted to wish you luck for your Dad today. 

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 12:58

Wishful thinking for you and your dad today Sweetpea. Hope the news is what you want.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 13:23
Thinking of you today.

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 14:49
I've got my fingers and everything else crossed for you, your dad looks lovely on the photo.

Xx

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 19:20

Hi Jo
I just so hope things are good news and not worse . Best wishes

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 20:43
Jo

thinking of you

xx

Mo

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 21:11
Jo

sending a Big Hug to you and family

Carol

User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 21:29
Literally every thing crossed for you Jo xxx
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 00:09

Thank you all for your good wishes and kind words.  Unfortunately the results were worse than expected and a shock.

I went to pick my dad up this afternoon, he had been sleepy all day and quite breathless. 

The oncologist said that it was not good news that the cancer had continued to spread even through 3 doses of the chemotherapy.  His liver has been more affected and he commented on how my dad did not have a yellow colour to his eyes or skin surprisingly.

The kidney area is being pushed up by the cancer to the prostrate which will cause further issues. 

He did advise he would speak to his colleagues at the Bobby Robson Foundation regarding any trials that may be running, however, if his liver or kidney function were a problem they would not let him take part.  My dad asked to be considered, as he said if it didn't help him it may help others.  He had a blood test to check these functions so we await those results.  They checked his oxygen level and it was 91 they said they preferred it to be 95 or over, so we need to keep an eye.

We were told that it was down to the GP and his Macmillan to care for him.  So I will be contacting both in the morning to ensure he gets everything he needs. 

He is such an amazing man so calm and dignified throughout, I really couldn't be prouder.  The oncologist continues  to say that it is not the treatment that keeps him well but his will and his positivity.

He went to bed when he got in and slept he was so tired which is quite unlike him.  While I went to my best friend's house and broke my heart, as I would never cry in front of him.

We have a follow up appointment to assess things in July but the oncologist said that at this stage he did not want him wasting one of his good days at the clinic or equally going when he is unwell. 

I really wish there was something else we could do, but it would seem unless there is a miracle trial that would be prepared to take him on, this will not be the case.

Thank you again to all you kind and brave people.

Jo x

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 07:15

Ah Jo, I am so so sorry to hear the latest news.

I really do know how you feel having been in a similar situation. It's such a helpless feeling.
Your dad has you and your lovely family around him to support him and that's all you can do. Live each day for each other and perhaps, when dad is up to it, make even more happy memories than you already have.

I know you show him you love him and that is very important.

There is very little I can add really, accept to say I understand.

There will be other members along soon to give you their support too and perhaps offer more helpful suggestions.

I know that when some people have used Macmillan they have found them brilliant. All I would advise is that when you contact them you get a name, somebody to refer to when you need to speak to them. Find out what is on offer and get contact numbers and emergency numbers.

Best Wishes to all of you
Sandra

Edited by member 19 May 2015 at 07:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 08:51
Jo

My heart is breaking for you, your post has stirred so many memories. Mick's lovely daughter Karen sat with us shortly after we had that very same conversation with Mick's oncologist. All the while biting her lip desperate not to break down as she knew how much her Dad hated tears. I am so glad you had a friend close by to comfort you.

Karen went on to be the best ever support for me and her Dad, she spoke to him every single day telling him about how her degree course was going, her work and the hopes she had of getting married. Once her Dad went into hospital/hospice she was here every chance she got to spend time with him and to give me loads of hugs and support.

I know you are that same daughter for your parents and that will mean so much for them.

Your Dad has fortitude and wants to retain has dignity. Macmillan or your local hospice will do all they can to help him when it becomes necessary. Dad's GP will need to refer him. The hospice I work at offers so much support right through palliative care and beyond, the day centre has all sorts of classes and some very lovely treatments too and they are all free. It is also a great place to spend time in the company of others in a similar situation but with marvellous professional palliative care consultants available to help amd provide first class support.

There are so many things they can help with including claiming benefits your family could be entitled to like carers allowance, dealing with insurance companies, getting a blue badge,pain management, future wishes. .to name just a few. This support is also available from other organisations like Maggies.

In the meantime your Dad may still be offered other palliative treatments if they feel his vital organs can cope with them. There are still some options out there that can be tried to extend the time your dad has but balanced with giving him the best possible quality of life.

If I can help with any more detailed information pm me and I will do all that I can.

So many people will be offering words and phrases meant to make you feel better, the stay strong, keep positive, be brave, have courage ones, well I would just say you carry on doing just what you are and that is being a wonderful and loving daughter and all the rest will just happen naturally.

My very best wishes to you all

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 15:43

Hi Jo,

My heart goes out to you and yes, I have been there too, such a hard place to be. I can only re-echo what has been said about organising good palliative care, that can make a huge difference to your Dad and your family in practical and emotional terms.

I have read at least one lot of research suggesting palliative care started early on in the diagnosis of advanced disease extends life as much as some of the newer treatments, frustrating it's so often brought in at a later stage and no-one necessarily tells you or offers to initiate it !

My thoughts and love are with you and I hope your Dad can be made as comfortable as possible and that you can still share some good times with him !

Fiona. x

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:26
Carol x

Edited by member 20 May 2015 at 22:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 17:29

Hi Jo

I have just PMd you.  Everyone on this forum offers such great help, advice and support so I hope you will take some comfort from some of the comments.

You say you are proud of your dad, well I bet he is also very proud of you too.  You are doing a great job at being there for him, offering him all the support he needs.  He knows how much you love him and it will make him feel much better that you are doing all you can to get the best care for him.

I am in a very similar situation to you with my dad having his full CT scan on Thursday to determine whether he should also continue with the chemo.  I have said in my pm to you and I will say again, any time you want to talk, feel free and we can continue to discuss or fantastically amazing dads!!

Take care

Rachel

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 21:06
Dear Jo

I'm so sorry to see this news. To echo what others have said, mobilise the palliative care team and then just continue to be your dad's daughter, it'll be all he wants. You do have a dad in a million, a truly lovely person (we can tell by his daughter), I know for sure that he is immensely proud of you.

Spend as much time as you can doing things you all enjoy, build more happy memories, he will like that every bit as much as you all.

Hugs Jo, it's such a hard time ahead, we are here for you if you need a supportive hand or word.

With love

Allison xxx

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 00:22

Jo

I hope that my children will be able to be as supportive as yourself when my time comes. Keep doing what you are. I am sure it's much appreciated - probably more than you can know.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 00:41

Thank you so much to you all for your good wishes and fantastic advice.

Today I telephoned our MacMillan Nurse to update her, we have a meeting on Friday morning this week, my mum and sister will be there also.

I telephoned our G P who kindly got back to me for a telephone consultation.  I bombarded the poor man with questions on how to keep Dad as well as possible and try and prevent anything progressing into an emergency situation.

I spoke to him regarding my dads tiredness and the comment that the disease was pressing up on to dad's kidneys from the prostrate I was concerned this may cause kidney trauma again.  Whilst I was speaking to him he logged on to the hospital website and advised the blood tests taken the day before were back and unbelievably the kidney function was fine and the liver function was a little high but lower than last month and no cause for concern.  Totally bizarre, as other than this awful disease my dad is well.  Even his oncologist has given up on dad's PSA reading as it never shows a true reading and has not been above 4 since September last year so is unreliable in my dads case.

I have asked about oxygen if his breathlessness becomes an issue.  I will be speaking to our Macmillan regarding all of this and continued pain control and regular blood tests to keep an eye on his kidney and liver function.  Our Macmillan has a meeting with our doctors once a month so this should help us not having to attend rounds of doctor and hospital appointments.  I will also be asking about blood transfusions when his HB is low.

We have not had any update on any running clinical trials, although I have of course emailed our oncologist secretary and updated her on my dads health which had improved the following day of his visit and the results of the blood tests.

My sister made him a shake this morning and we will do this every day now to ensure he gets his vitamins.

My gorgeous dad came for a little walk with the dogs and had a trip to the pet shop this afternoon, he is such a trooper, pretty amazing.

Good luck to all others in similar situations.

Jo x

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 05:08

morning sweetpea

you are doing great

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 06:36
Your support is so important for your Dad, I hope the combination of people involved give him the best time he can have. We are all here for you. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 07:24
Hi Jo,

You mentioned your sister making a shake for your dad - when I came out of hospital they gave me Fortisip, it's a milkshake type drink in many flavours and containing nutrients. It may give him something extra.

You can see the details on their website- www.fortisip.co.uk You may be able to get your GP to prescribe this for your dad.

Arthur

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 09:38

Morning Sweetpea. I expect Fortisip is like Ensure, which is also a milkshake type drink.

They might be handy to have as an emergency and should be available on prescription for your dad. I expect though that making the shakes is your sister's way of showing her love and she would probably be reluctant to stop.

I am so glad everyone on his health team has the time to give. It isn't always the case but it's wonderful when it works out

All the best
Sandra

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 22:50

Thank you again everyone for advise and kind words.

Jo

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 23:00

Hi Jo,

Some one recently said to me in our own situation "One day at a time" and I just wanted to pass this on to you . I think it is pretty apt . 

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 23:17

Thank you

x

User
Posted 21 May 2015 at 11:07

Hi Jo,

I am continuing to send my thoughts and love.

Fiona x