Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ED appointment

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 15:07

Hi everyone,

9 months post op and I have an appointment next week to see the ED nurse. I must admit to being a little nervous, especially as I think we are looking at the caverject option. I would be interested to know what will happen; Will the nurse do it or will I have to do the injection? Will I get an erection? will it go down before I head back home? there's been precious little happening so far. I self injected after the prostatectomy in my stomach and that was bad enough. It makes my eyes water just to think about it.  Anyway, if anyone can fill me in I would be grateful and hopefully, a little less nervous.

Good health

Jim

User
Posted 31 May 2015 at 22:56

I think I have a description of our first time somewhere on here but at risk of boring you ....

arrived at the appointment, discussed caverject, Zoe talked us through using the needle, twisting the chamber etc. Then she and John went behind a curtain so that she could show him where to inject, at what angle and how deep. Yes, he came out from behind the curtain with a stonker (and a big smile on his face). We were sent home to use it but had a row in the car and stopped at a cafe instead. Erection completely gone by this time. Had tea & scones, continued home in stony silence then made up. Discovered at this point that the erection could reappear - used it, happy evening. Time delay between injection and use - about 2 hours

Things to bear in mind ....

1. If this is your first appointment, there is a chance that they won't consider injections yet and will want you to try different meds first. Be prepared with your business case for Caverject

2. Check that Caverject is actually available in England at the moment - nothing worse than getting your prescription and then finding none of the pharmacies have it in stock

3. Consider Muse first - may be a better starting option & worth asking the ED nurse what their experience is

4. If the nurse injects you, she will probably start with a low dose - don't panic if it doesn't work. You may be in an area where they require you to keep visiting the ED clinic while the dosage is increased incrementally

5. Don't expect too much; Caverject does not work for everyone

6. If you do come away with an erection and a prescription, ask for a standard letter for A&E just in case of priapism - if you end up in casualty, you will be treated much quicker if you have a letter from the ED nurse explaining what you have used

Edited by member 31 May 2015 at 23:00  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Jun 2015 at 00:23
Jim I can understand you being nervous. I think the important thing is to befriend your ED nurse and be as open and honest with her or him as you can. If they know about your concerns or fears they will work with you to overcome them.

Lyn has given you a great insight from her own experience.

I hope all goes well

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 02 Jun 2015 at 09:29

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it. I'll take on board the advice given and bear (bare) in mind the suggestions made. I'm almost looking forward to it and certainly I will look forward to the prospect of resuming proper intimacy with my beautiful wife.

Forewarned is forearmed
Jim