I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

GPs' cancer diagnosis

User
Posted 23 June 2015 14:01:11(UTC)

Gps' cancer diagnosis delays cost 10,000 lives every year.  This is not just for PCa of course but we do know from some of our members that some GPs are very tardy in sending patients for scans or instigating PSA tests.  Slow progressing of patients in some hospitals and many hospitals not having the best treatment available, though not covered in this article, must also shorten lives. http://www.dailymail.co....e-patients-slip-net.html

Barry
User
Posted 23 June 2015 14:40:23(UTC)

Add to that the lives lost due to folks being so frustrated at getting an appointment or feeling guilty about taking up busy GP time they don’t bother going to discuss health concerns in the first place. Perhaps its because I'm a male but the guilt bit is the excuse I make to myself.

Ray

User
Posted 23 June 2015 17:21:24(UTC)

Our daughter in law was 28 when the GP sent her for testing for breast cancer but he refused to mark it as urgent because of her age. Diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer and lost a breast

Our daughter was 38 and treated for many years for IBS by our GP before she finally went private. Aggressive colo-rectal cancer and a colostomy. It was assumed she was too young for bowel cancer, an old persons disease.

Our grandson was 13 and treated for many months with many different antibiotics (which in themselves made him feel ill as he had so many of them) for recurrent throat infection, again our daughter had to take him private because he was getting weaker and weaker. By this time he had a lump in his neck but according to the doctor it was caused by the infection. Aggressive, inoperable naso pharyngeal carcinoma. GP assumed that at his age it had to be his tonsils.

We don't have much confidence in GPs in this family

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 23 June 2015 18:24:26(UTC)
That is a litany of despair, I sincerely hope it wasn't the same GP or do I hope it was? What an awful deal your family has had, I simply don't know what to say, it's appalling treatment.

With love and hope that treatment has worked for your family

Love Allison xxx
User
Posted 24 June 2015 08:09:13(UTC)

No Alison, 3 different ones, although two in the same general area. I didn't add my niece into the above mix as she had lung cancer (smoker) but even though she kept saying she didn't think the cancer was gone they told her she was imagining it as it's a natural reaction. She was right, they were wrong and she died at 43, three years ago leaving two young children.

Our daughter in law had a rough ride but pulled through and never made a fuss about the breast.

Our grandson is now nearly 19. Aggressive, experimental treatment (there isn't a treatment plan for that particular cancer especially in children) has left him with a few problems but he is still with us and a qualified sailing instructor

Our daughter, makes no issues about having to carry a colostomy bag around with her. She regards the stoma as her little life saver. Her only regret and anger is that she was never taken seriously.

Our daughter's diagnosis was only one year after her son's and at one time they were both being treated together, although he had reached the interferon stage by then.

Then of course, we come to PC. There was no way we could make a fuss with all the rest of it behind us.
Like our grandson said when he was 13, "You just have to get on with it. You're not brave - you have no choice"

It does make you stop and wonder occasionally though where the next bolt from the blue is going to come from !

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 October 2016 13:41:38(UTC)

Johsan,

I wish your post actually surprised me but it doesn't.  My whole journey so far has been a catalogue of late testing - ignored results and NHS mix ups.  None of us have confidence either.  Nothing short of a miracle would now restore my confidence in the NHS.  That is just what happened to me if i include what has happened to my partner and the rest of the family in the last few years from Doctors treating a symptom that wasn't the main problem and ignoring the main disease until it may be too late - thankfully it wasn't but it could have been.  Ah just makes me want to scream!

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 07 October 2016 13:00:34(UTC)

first went to doctor with a problem, in July 2015. refered to urology at hospital. Got seen by a doctor there December 2015. PSA and digital, another PSA over christmas, more tests for the next few month. Biopsy in June, and diagnosed with PC in July 2016.
1 year.

User
Posted 07 October 2016 15:48:03(UTC)
Thank goodness we seem to be lucky with our gp's. My OH had a PSA test along with other blood tests for something else. When he found the result was slightly raised the GP compared it to the previous 5 readings. My OH didn't even know he'd had any. Seems they had been doing it since he was 50. He'd never had symptoms so it seems they just tested it routinely.
Yet, several friends heard he'd been diagnosed with prostate cancer and asked their GP for a PSA test (different surgery) and were told no need if no symptoms. One friend is early 60's and can't get one done.
Makes me realise we are lucky as far as prostate cancer goes.
User
Posted 07 October 2016 19:20:29(UTC)

That is very annoying. Quite often people do not have any symptoms or don't recognise them as symptoms. Maybe they should go back and tell their Docs they have trouble passing urine or are passing a lot more urine at night and having to get up a lot and maybe then they would be tested? Comes to something when you have to "fib" to get a test!

©2018 Prostate Cancer UK