Show search

Notification

Error

Life affirming events

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 09:28
Hi all

Wasn't sure to post on here or not.

Since dx I have had two lots of radical treatment and after some wobbly moments lesley (my wife) and I have been trying to enjoy life to the full.

As part of this, as some of you on here know, we have embarked on quite a few holidays. The last one being Tunisia. Unfortunately and frighteningly we were caught up in the atrocity that occurred last Friday and literally found ourselves running for our lives. I recall us being locked in our hotel room listening to rapid machine gunfire and wondering if this was it.

We were brought home the next day.

It's difficult knowing now what has happened and as the full picture emerges. We have been told it will take a few weeks to process what has happened. I've also found out that one of the victims is a colleague who I met with on a regular basis in a professional capacity. This has knocked me sideways.

My thoughts are with all the victims and their families and also with the other holiday makers who had to witness something like this.

I know Lesley and I will eventually move on from this and I am hoping it will make us even stronger. However, It will be some time before we embark on a package holiday again.

Bri

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 09:56

God Brian I am so so sorry for you and Lesley You MUST be in utter shock , even if you don't recognise it 100% . Rest , be close , be very very relieved that someone looked down on you that day and decided it wasn't your time. I cant imagine your fear and terror literally running for your lives like that .
Im so sorry about your colleague and your grieving . This will be post traumatic stress disorder to a certain extent . A chat to your doctor ? Five nights sleeping pills for you both .
I am only going to be one of a massive list of people who are so relieved you are still here . Thanks for your support also Brian
Chris an Elaine xx

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 09:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 10:09

Brian I am so sorry you both had to go through that as well as everything else.

I feel for all the victims too and especially for you to know that one of them was a colleague.

There are no words I can say to alleviate yours and Lesley's stress, just know that, as usual, we are all here for you if for different circumstances.

As Chris says, this wasn't you time.

But what deity or being decides who lives and who dies? I really can't get my head round that one

As for package holidays - well yes we are easy targets I suppose, but then so are we if we are on a train or a bus in London.

Give yourselves time to recover. I am sure you are both thankful that you are home safe and well but I am also sure that in itself will fret you because you'll be thinking of all those others who were not as fortunate.

Please try not to dwell on that aspect. You have been strong for each other throughout your cancer experience and I am sure you will love and support each other as you recover from this awful experience.

My best wishes to both of you. My thoughts and best wishes as well to all the other victims

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 10:56

Brian,

Friends had told me you and Lesley were there and I've been thinking how you were both coping after such a horrific experience.
The more we saw and heard about the atrocity the more shocking it became as we realised the scale.

Willing you to both to get through this. It must be very hard for you both.
PTSD is a very real illness and I pray you escape it.

Very best wishes,

George

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 11:00

What a traumatic experience for you both, something you will never forget but at least you came through it, albeit with a ruined holiday. Apart from the loss and suffering to those immediately affected, all of which have our sympathy, the shooter and any accomplices has/have done immense damage to the Tunisian economy which relies heavily on tourism. Very sad.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 12:00
Hi Bri

I can't begin to imagine what you have experienced and my heart goes out to all the people and families affected by this despicable act. It will take time to come to terms with what you and your family have had to endure. You certainly have a excellent guardian angel watching over you, so have a word on my behalf lol.

Don't let what has happened define the way you live your life, live it to the full. The times we live in now are so uncertain, this type of situation could happen anywhere so don't let it affect your life, enjoy your holidays and don't let this sordid episode spoil them. But if you cannot accept this advice you could always send me and my wife instead, all expenses paid of course lol.

Take care

Roy

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 13:55
So glad you are with us Bri, so sad about those not so lucky. As if you and others on this site need reminding we must all live each day to the full. Please look forward to tomorrow rather than dwell on yesterday. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 15:55
Bri

You know how much you and Lesley mean to me and my family so I thank all our lucky stars that you reached safety.

What happened was evil personified an act of unimaginable cowardice and hatred.

I know coming to terms with this will be hard for you both and it will take time but you will overcome it.

Every time you see little Evie Lily and your friends and family you will know that it was not meant to be your time.

I am so sorry for the loss of your colleague and for the emotional trauma you are both going through

I will be thinking of you both

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 17:19

Bri,

So pleased that you and Lesley are safe. 

I was shocked when I saw on FB that you were there.  It was an awful experience, but you survived.  I'm sure it's a sign (as has been mentioned) that you both must have guardian angels.

It will take time for you to come to terms with it.  I covered the Hungerford massacre and was involved in the 7/7 bombings coverage, ten years ago (as Transport for London's photographer) and I still find it difficult to get those events out of my mind at times.  But it does get easier.

Please don't let it stop you doing things that you really want to do.  If you have chance to take another holiday, take it.  

Best Wishes to you both,

Steve

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 17:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 18:34

Terrible situation to deal with. Very pleased to hear that you both got back safely.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 21:13
As everyone says happy you are safe, but sorry to hear about your colleague, and of course the other victims, in this terrible tragedy in a beautiful country.

Hoping you can find some kind of way to cope with the dreadful way it must have left you and Lesley feeling.

Take care, Janet, x

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 22:06

Hi Bri,

Unfortunately, I have dealt with and experienced first hand a lot of bad tihs in a previous life. You do, and you will move on from this. Seems kind of hard to accept now maybe?

If you want a chat about "coping strategies" or "managing mechanisms", I am sure that in your job you will have numerous "buzz words" and phrases that are appropriate for the situation?

Anyway, you will deal with it IYOT :-( for now.........

dave

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 09:56

God Brian I am so so sorry for you and Lesley You MUST be in utter shock , even if you don't recognise it 100% . Rest , be close , be very very relieved that someone looked down on you that day and decided it wasn't your time. I cant imagine your fear and terror literally running for your lives like that .
Im so sorry about your colleague and your grieving . This will be post traumatic stress disorder to a certain extent . A chat to your doctor ? Five nights sleeping pills for you both .
I am only going to be one of a massive list of people who are so relieved you are still here . Thanks for your support also Brian
Chris an Elaine xx

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 09:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 10:09

Brian I am so sorry you both had to go through that as well as everything else.

I feel for all the victims too and especially for you to know that one of them was a colleague.

There are no words I can say to alleviate yours and Lesley's stress, just know that, as usual, we are all here for you if for different circumstances.

As Chris says, this wasn't you time.

But what deity or being decides who lives and who dies? I really can't get my head round that one

As for package holidays - well yes we are easy targets I suppose, but then so are we if we are on a train or a bus in London.

Give yourselves time to recover. I am sure you are both thankful that you are home safe and well but I am also sure that in itself will fret you because you'll be thinking of all those others who were not as fortunate.

Please try not to dwell on that aspect. You have been strong for each other throughout your cancer experience and I am sure you will love and support each other as you recover from this awful experience.

My best wishes to both of you. My thoughts and best wishes as well to all the other victims

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 10:56

Brian,

Friends had told me you and Lesley were there and I've been thinking how you were both coping after such a horrific experience.
The more we saw and heard about the atrocity the more shocking it became as we realised the scale.

Willing you to both to get through this. It must be very hard for you both.
PTSD is a very real illness and I pray you escape it.

Very best wishes,

George

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 11:00

What a traumatic experience for you both, something you will never forget but at least you came through it, albeit with a ruined holiday. Apart from the loss and suffering to those immediately affected, all of which have our sympathy, the shooter and any accomplices has/have done immense damage to the Tunisian economy which relies heavily on tourism. Very sad.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 12:00
Hi Bri

I can't begin to imagine what you have experienced and my heart goes out to all the people and families affected by this despicable act. It will take time to come to terms with what you and your family have had to endure. You certainly have a excellent guardian angel watching over you, so have a word on my behalf lol.

Don't let what has happened define the way you live your life, live it to the full. The times we live in now are so uncertain, this type of situation could happen anywhere so don't let it affect your life, enjoy your holidays and don't let this sordid episode spoil them. But if you cannot accept this advice you could always send me and my wife instead, all expenses paid of course lol.

Take care

Roy

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 13:55
So glad you are with us Bri, so sad about those not so lucky. As if you and others on this site need reminding we must all live each day to the full. Please look forward to tomorrow rather than dwell on yesterday. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 15:55
Bri

You know how much you and Lesley mean to me and my family so I thank all our lucky stars that you reached safety.

What happened was evil personified an act of unimaginable cowardice and hatred.

I know coming to terms with this will be hard for you both and it will take time but you will overcome it.

Every time you see little Evie Lily and your friends and family you will know that it was not meant to be your time.

I am so sorry for the loss of your colleague and for the emotional trauma you are both going through

I will be thinking of you both

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 17:19

Bri,

So pleased that you and Lesley are safe. 

I was shocked when I saw on FB that you were there.  It was an awful experience, but you survived.  I'm sure it's a sign (as has been mentioned) that you both must have guardian angels.

It will take time for you to come to terms with it.  I covered the Hungerford massacre and was involved in the 7/7 bombings coverage, ten years ago (as Transport for London's photographer) and I still find it difficult to get those events out of my mind at times.  But it does get easier.

Please don't let it stop you doing things that you really want to do.  If you have chance to take another holiday, take it.  

Best Wishes to you both,

Steve

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 17:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 18:34

Terrible situation to deal with. Very pleased to hear that you both got back safely.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 21:13
As everyone says happy you are safe, but sorry to hear about your colleague, and of course the other victims, in this terrible tragedy in a beautiful country.

Hoping you can find some kind of way to cope with the dreadful way it must have left you and Lesley feeling.

Take care, Janet, x

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 22:06

Hi Bri,

Unfortunately, I have dealt with and experienced first hand a lot of bad tihs in a previous life. You do, and you will move on from this. Seems kind of hard to accept now maybe?

If you want a chat about "coping strategies" or "managing mechanisms", I am sure that in your job you will have numerous "buzz words" and phrases that are appropriate for the situation?

Anyway, you will deal with it IYOT :-( for now.........

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 23:32
Thanks Dave much appreciated, we are getting good support

Bri

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 23:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2015 at 23:41

It occurred to me that you would have it sorted.

It may take time, but you are aware of that.  Sure Lesley will come to terms in time.

We can have a beer and a chat anon.  

dave

Your inbox is full.

Edited by member 01 Jul 2015 at 23:43  | Reason: Not specified

I am the statistic.