I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

alcohol and locally advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 17:14

hi,i have read a lot about diet it varys a lot when i was first diagnosed last year i was looking at  diets that can help,i started cutting out a lot of food and i started to lose weight but i cant afford to lose weight as i am only a small guy,i got fed up of all the so called healthy food tastes rubbish unless you are a chef so i went back to eating normally the only thing i have cut out now is red meat and dairy,i have just had fish and chips best tasting food i have had for a while,i have also resumed drinking alcohol all in all i have gone back to eating as normal before being diagnosed and i feel a lot better because i used to worry about what i eat or drink,i will be at york races this week enjoying myself,any thoughts on this please.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 18:44

Hi Radar
There's no official proof (as yet) that cutting out all the foods like salt, sugar red meat non organic is going to cure anyone.
However I know at least 2 friends that are plodding along nicely without medication on like Mediterranean diets, Garson diets, rainbow diets and certainly in one their cancer has shrunk and now gone (stomach cancer). The others have had low psa for quite a while.

I personally am trying to keep 100% Bio lots and lots of fruit, hot lemon drink first thing, no processed foods, plenty fish, plenty potatoes and verge and of course no dairy.

I'd recommend to read "the Rainbow Diet" book it is frightening execellent.

But each to their own and the main thing is to enjoy life.

I hope this helps.
It's my opinion that before long controlled test results will show what Gerson has been saying for years

Best of luck

Paul

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 20:16

thanks,i have read a lot about these diets,but i live on my own and im no good at cooking ,i generally eat healthy ready meals, i eat blueberries on a morning with my oats,i cant eat a lot of fruit because i have got hiatus hernia.i have pomegranite juice ,q10, bio-curcumin green tea extract, 5000iu d3, milk thistle, krill-oil,and astragalus for my immune system. and alcohol on a weekend( lol) making all these healthy meals seems a full time job,i just try my best.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 20:59

I walk my dogs every single day with a very recently retired GP ( head of practice for 20 yrs ). She is one of the old school who says "everything in moderation ". She tells me off about alcohol but she likes a bit herself as does her husband. She advised me it was a total waste of time to take supplements if your diet is fairly balanced. She believes Vits etc and minerals are a waste of time if not harmful unless specifically advised. She says road-running causes more long term harm than cure except for mentally. I actually used to work out endlessly up until 6 yrs ago. And I felt / looked great for it. And psychologically it's got to be good yeh. Maybe I'm rambling again , but I don't think there is a panacea for any illness. If there was it would be prescribed. But if it makes you feel good and you believe in it , then you are half way there. Has it been proven you need meat ( with fat ) , carbs fruit and veg to remain tip-top ? Millions of years of evolution maybe can't be wrong
Chris

Edited by member 06 Jul 2015 at 21:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 22:02

Radar, because you are on HT it would be best to check with your GP or a friendly pharmacist that none of the supplements you are taking interact with the hormones.

I don't think a bit of a drink at weekends has any negative effect on prostate cancer - however, we dide have an amazing member here until recently who defied all medical predictions and he swore that it was down to red wine and daily swimming - look him up in the member lists - Old Al. Sadly, he had a very aggressive PCa and died young but by changing his treatment programme he went from being reliant on a wheelchair back to some level of normality and then sustained it for quite some time.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 08:58

thanks,i dont post much but i read a lot and how guys are doing with there pc,regarding supplements i am only taking the supplements that i have read about that have good reports on here,my last meeting with my onco 2weeks ago was that my psa was unrecordable so i dont think they are doing any harm,but i do realise how things can change and how unpredictable pc can be.i am on ht for 3yrs i am at the 16 month mark now,with just being a small guy my arms and legs have become thinner,i have not put any weight on with zoladex except the aches and pains are a nuisance made worse after doing exercise like weight training trying to keep my bones strong,but my gp said to cut down a bit with the weights which i have any thoughts please.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 09:38

hi radar

not into weights

but the main thing I don't eat is bread, prob have 1-2 cobs a week

my diet is mostly fish, pork and the odd red meat

never eat processed meat its vile

porridge at breakfast with soya milk also nuts and raisens for protein

tuna or chicken for lunch with baked spud or pasta

will treat myself to the odd choc lolly

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 07 Jul 2015 at 13:30

thanks,im afraid i dont do diets but try to eat healthy but  i find healthy food tastes crap i try to eat as healthy as i can,like anything if you find that diets are doing you good carry on like a lot of guys on here say every  one is different,good luck.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2015 at 20:57

thanks,regarding taking supplements i took what i take to my gp about interaction with zoladex he doesnt know so that was a waste of time.