I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I'm off on a hike!

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 18:37

From tomorrow morning I fly off to France to try to hike the 538 mile GR10 route across the Pyrenees, hopefully completing within 60 days?

I feel healthy, my continence is back to about 95%, my rucksack is packed to 10.2Kg, my boots are polished and when I set off I will be spick and span to start with.

I'm a bit nervous, my longest hike to date is 21 days.

If your a bit bored and want to track me email me at 'regedmunds@hotmail.com' and I will send you back the tracking link.

All the best to everyone on the forum.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:44

Sounds marvellous!  Now that's what I call a hike!

Good luck and enjoy!

Flexi

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:56

Good luck on your "little walk" GWM
Hope the weather is kind to you and that you complete those 538 miles!!

Edited by member 22 Jul 2015 at 08:08  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:04

Nice one mate. Respect ! Hope you've packed your little slings ?? I'll be making some soon godwilling.
Chris

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:22

Have a great time that's some trek, only seen the Pyrenees from the air and they look BIG !!!! Good Luck

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 17:59

All going well, into my 20th day I think. My only problem is that I have now got a hernia (on 8th day) which is a bit of a bummer! Nearly came home but then hitchiked 40 miles to largest town and bought a truss! Works well so I am continuing. I am in St Lary Soulan today, warm but overcast. Best wishes.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 18:14

Hhhhmmm, a common problem for men after RP, particularly those that do too much too soon. Do be careful not to push yourself any harder

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 19:51

I did not know, never gave the prospect of a hernia a thought. Never mind, hopefully easy to sort when I return to UK.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2015 at 21:39

I'm now back home, after a 40 day hike across a variety of terrains, mostly mountains. I finished in Banyuls Sur Mer and caught the TGV back. What a train, never been on it before, 300km an hour, stunning! I stayed on campsites, I wild camped, stayed in one hotel and a number of Refuges. Only had two real problems, one morning whilst wild camping 3 large domesticated pigs knocked down my tent with me in it. Everything, including me was soaked. I dried out in a hotel that night. Then two weeks later, I tried to quietly pass by a cow feeding its calf. The calf saw me, panicked and ran off. The mother became mad, very mad and charged at me, hit me full in the chest and knocked me of my feet into the grass. I rolled over 3 times (she did not persue me) and then stood up and scurried away. No injuries other than a sore thumb and a bruised thigh. I have to confess, a bit scary!

I thought the hike was going to be longer but I made good and reliable progress. The weather ranged from hot to searingly hot, I had a lot of rain for a while including fog as well. What I did not have was very much wind, so due to perspiration I often felt damp for days. I met some great people, drank a lot of wine and beer and enjoyed a lot of really good food.

Except for the hernia I did not experience any problems from my April prostate operation. Everything worked!

User
Posted 06 Sep 2015 at 22:23

Wow gwm, what an epic journey and adventure.

Just goes to show what you can do when you are determined not to let PC change your life.

Is that the furthest you've ever walked? Come to to that how many miles was it in the end, all 538?

I wouldn't have fancied crossing a field with a nursing cow in it. I've heard they can be unpredictable and now you've proved it.

You were very lucky to get away with just a bruised chest and a sore thumb.

Now get that hernia sorted out and you can start getting ready for the next "little" walk

Welcome home !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Sep 2015 at 19:22
Wow!! What an exciting achievement, I take my hat off to you. Enjoy your well earned rest.

Lesley

User
Posted 07 Sep 2015 at 19:30

I'm knackered just reading this...... http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Respect to you Gwm..

Luther

User
Posted 07 Sep 2015 at 19:34

Amazing -- Hats off to you indeed Gunwharfman. Very impressed . I walk the dogs in the New Forest each morning and there are wild horses and cattle everywhere. The horses are tame but crikey you have to watch the cows mate . You were very very lucky that time. Sounds a great adventure and some well-earned wine each night.
Best wishes Chris

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 11:26

When I decided on the GR10 and mapped it out I became aware that their are many official varients which helps one to plan for minimum milage or maximum milage. I have to see my surgeon soon, I have already had my blood taken and hope he will confirm that the cancer has gone? So if that happens and I can get my hernia sorted out it will allow me to think and plan ahead again. I'm sure I did over 400 miles this time but I not hike the maximum milage route.

On my return to the UK I thought never again! Now that my legs and feet have returned to normal and if I am told that my cancer has gone and if I can get my hernia repaired I am now thinking I should hike the 'long' GR10 next July but this time from the Med to the Atlantic. If I can do the short GR10 this year at 70, surely I can do the long GR10 next year when I am 71.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 12:04

I reckon you can for sure !! I'm jealous you have the time and energy. I love walking and do an hour every day with the dogs. I'd like to walk around the Azures.
I so hope your test comes back good. Fingers crossed
Chris