I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

2015 Great North Run

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 19:36

Well today I've received my running number for the GNR so it's time to get ultra serious.

I'm pretty close to being on training plan and should be ok so long as my tummy behaves and my little hitch-hiker doesn't get too heavy.

Is there anybody else running from our group if so why not add your number to this post so we can all look out for each other.

My number is 16374 on White background and I start from Zone E. I'm running for and wearing Yorkshire Cancer Research vest.

It would be great to meet some of you all and maybe even have a cuppa afterwards - stranger things have happened.

Good luck everyone

Paul

User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 20:00
Paul

My brother will be there he used to run it but this year he will be toting for his son, I will try and find out his number.

Have you got a just giving page set up yet? I am sure I would not be the only one happy to contribute to a Yorkshire cause.

It is good that you are on schedule with your training considering all other factors.

I will try and watch any live coverage so I can look out for you and Lyn.

all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Aug 2015 at 00:26

I received my number already - I really must start training, I think. I am pink 46194, we should try to meet at the charity village at the end .... does PCUK or Yorkshire Cancer research have a tent this year?

Healey, thank you for the donation; a lovely kind thing to do. Let us know your link so we can return the kindness :-)

Mo, I am usually easy to spot on the TV - I will be the one stopping for a quick cigarette around mile 14

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Aug 2015 at 16:17
Paul

I found your page easy enough, the link did all the work for me! now going to trawl through facebook posts and searches on Just giving to find Lyn's family page.

Happy running

xx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 00:03

Hi Paul & Lynn,

I just wanted to wish you both the very best of luck in the Great North Run today.

I hope you achieve your goal of finishing the race in a respectable time and really enjoying the day.  I'm sure you will.

I'll be watching it on tv, feeling very envious of you.

All the Best,

Steve

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 00:18
Good luck Paul amd Lyn

Run smart!

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 06:59
Good luck today, Lyn and Paul

Arthur

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 22:38
It's a long way. Congratulations on finishing the race

Arthur

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 23:46

Hi Paul,

Well done for completing the race.  I know it was difficult for you but it was a warm day and the effect of the medications can really affect the energy you have.  It will be harder than it was in the past, never underestimate the effects of Hormone Therapy.  I am really struggling with fatigue in recent weeks.

I'm really proud of the effort you made today.  You've inspired me to go out and get back to my training.  Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 10:30
Hi Paul/Lynn and anyone else who may have tackled the run.

Well done to you, fantastic achievement. I did it with bob and our family last year, we're not big runners and appreciate how hard it is. I also suffered and made everyone else suffer on the journey home in car vomiting persistently into a plastic bag!!!!! ;-((.

Hope you got round ok Lynn

Well done again, running for a good course.

Lesley x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Aug 2015 at 20:00
Paul

My brother will be there he used to run it but this year he will be toting for his son, I will try and find out his number.

Have you got a just giving page set up yet? I am sure I would not be the only one happy to contribute to a Yorkshire cause.

It is good that you are on schedule with your training considering all other factors.

I will try and watch any live coverage so I can look out for you and Lyn.

all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Aug 2015 at 00:26

I received my number already - I really must start training, I think. I am pink 46194, we should try to meet at the charity village at the end .... does PCUK or Yorkshire Cancer research have a tent this year?

Healey, thank you for the donation; a lovely kind thing to do. Let us know your link so we can return the kindness :-)

Mo, I am usually easy to spot on the TV - I will be the one stopping for a quick cigarette around mile 14

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2015 at 11:09

Thank you Lyn.
It would be lovely to meet you. Ill check re the tents.

I'm sure you'll get through Lyn and I'm not going to say you shouldn't smoke.😇

You're welcome for the donation, I am well impressed how much you and your family have raised.

My donation site is www.justgiving.com/Paul-Jackson52

Hope to see you there.

Paul

User
Posted 14 Aug 2015 at 11:14

Thank you Mo for your support

Please do post your brothers sons number and I'll look out for him.
This year it seems like I'll be runner spotting so will have to carry my spotters book with me. (Plenty of experience as I used to be a trainspotters in the 50's. Oo that sounds like a long time ago)

Paul

Ps my donation page is www.justgiving.co/Paul-Jackson52/

User
Posted 16 Aug 2015 at 21:40

So far so good with the training for the GNR.
I just completed a 10.7 miles this morning with no walks and no loo stops.
I'm really pleased but it did knock me out for the rest of the day.
My running rate was about 1 minute/mile down but I was satisfied

My medication at the moment is just HT and enzalutamide although I've just cut out wheat to see if that helps with the bad tum.

The things I find about running with PCa medications is that motivation is a lot lower, legs are heavier, ankles are sore and a little swollen and of course I sweat a lot more (intermittently as the hot flushes kick in) but apart from that it's achievable.

Four more weeks to go to the race then off on holiday.

Paul

Edited by member 17 Aug 2015 at 22:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Aug 2015 at 16:17
Paul

I found your page easy enough, the link did all the work for me! now going to trawl through facebook posts and searches on Just giving to find Lyn's family page.

Happy running

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Aug 2015 at 23:25
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Paul

Happy running

xx

Mo

Mo

Thank you so much for your kind donation. It'll certainly help me to make sure I get round if only to get in the massage queue early

I'm not doing too bad in the training - I managed another 6.8 mile run this morning. Next one is supposed to be an 11/12 miler on Sunday.

Cheers

Paul

User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 02:17

Healey, I will do my best to stagger along

Mo - thank you xxx

Diesel .... I don't know what to say and as you know, this is rare! 

Edited by member 22 Aug 2015 at 02:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 23:03

Lyn
Where are you up to with your training.?

User
Posted 24 Aug 2015 at 00:13

Sorry - I don't understand the question :-(

User
Posted 24 Aug 2015 at 20:21
Lyn

you normally train most days, train to London, train to Birmingham, train to Coventry

xx

Mo

User
Posted 24 Aug 2015 at 23:29

LOL

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 11:28

Well only 5 days to go and I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

My tummy upsets have settled since I stopped taking the abiraterone.
I had my 6 weekly consultation with my Onco and she's agreed that I can stay on the Stampede Trial with just Enzalutamide since it is considered as a standard of life issue.
I'm happy with that particularly as my psa is down again from 0.04 to 0.03.
I also stop the other two tabs (prednisolone and omeprazone). One is for enhancing my immune system and the other my gastric system so it sounds logical that the Abbi is the cause.

The Abbi gave me a number of issues like raised liver readings, bloated tum, diahorea and general weariness. I don't expect to get to my previous fitness but at lease it's easier.
I'm also going to try and follow my diet a bit closer.

So ready to roll with the GNR and looking forward to meeting Lyn and other fellow runners at the PCUK massage parlour.

If there's anyone else would like to release a little cash and sponsor me my JustGiving page is a few pages back.
For all those already donated many many thanks I'm nearly at my target.

Paul

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 00:03

Hi Paul & Lynn,

I just wanted to wish you both the very best of luck in the Great North Run today.

I hope you achieve your goal of finishing the race in a respectable time and really enjoying the day.  I'm sure you will.

I'll be watching it on tv, feeling very envious of you.

All the Best,

Steve

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 00:18
Good luck Paul amd Lyn

Run smart!

Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 06:59
Good luck today, Lyn and Paul

Arthur

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 17:44
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Healey, I will do my best to stagger along

Mo - thank you xxx

Diesel .... I don't know what to say and as you know, this is rare!

Hi Lynn I'll take that as a yes then,unfortunately I couldn't be there today, we're back in Espana' until Oct.but hoping you did good, will be watching the rerun on TV at 6 tonight to see if I can spot you. Best wishes to you and Paul. Diesel x

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 22:30

Thanks to everybody for your support and to those who sponsored me.

I've got to say that whilst I did finish the run I really struggled.
I'm putting it down not enough training, wrong diet and setting off at a pace I used to able to keep up. I suppose the HT had a a bit to with it too.
But at least I did it.

Sorry I couldn't find you LynEyre at the PCUK tent, maybe next time. 👍🏻

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 22:38
It's a long way. Congratulations on finishing the race

Arthur

User
Posted 13 Sep 2015 at 23:46

Hi Paul,

Well done for completing the race.  I know it was difficult for you but it was a warm day and the effect of the medications can really affect the energy you have.  It will be harder than it was in the past, never underestimate the effects of Hormone Therapy.  I am really struggling with fatigue in recent weeks.

I'm really proud of the effort you made today.  You've inspired me to go out and get back to my training.  Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 10:30
Hi Paul/Lynn and anyone else who may have tackled the run.

Well done to you, fantastic achievement. I did it with bob and our family last year, we're not big runners and appreciate how hard it is. I also suffered and made everyone else suffer on the journey home in car vomiting persistently into a plastic bag!!!!! ;-((.

Hope you got round ok Lynn

Well done again, running for a good course.

Lesley x

User
Posted 14 Sep 2015 at 12:49

:-( :-( :-(

I bowed to advice and family pressure and did not start. I have a bond so guaranteed place every year and I think that takes pressure off if you are not absolutely match fit. Regretted it in the end as I practically walked the entire 13 miles trying to get photos of family & friends as they ran past various points :-)

It was great to see so many PCUK vests though, including a young lad doing it in support of his dad. I know we raised a total of k26 for brain tumour research - I hope PCUK will announce how much was raised in total by their runners yesterday.

(PS just realised why I didn't spot you Paul ... I was looking for PCUK / Men Utd vests and you were running for a completely different charity! Silly me.

Hoping I will be fit for the Brownlee Triathlon in 2 weeks' time - we have entered as a family relay so John is cycling, Rachel is swimming and I am (allegedly) running. I may have to offload the run onto son or son-in-law :-(