I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search



Erecting the Erection - Medication

Posted 28 February 2017 20:27:07(UTC)

Thanks for your reply Chris - because he's on warfarin he cannot use things like the vaccum or inject. I read before that he couldn't use Muse (which has the same medication in it as the injection)..but when I asked they said he could. I reckon he can't have the injections in case he injects into a vein by mistake and starts a bleed. I rung and spoke the ED nurse from this site today and she was incredibly helpful. NORMALLY Levitra has the most success - but she said he could always try 20mg cialis tablet every 72 hours instead if GP will prescribe it...and she reckoned the vacuum pump would be fine as long it was one with elasticated end..rather than rigid which might cause bruising being on warfarin. Will let you know how it goes!

Posted 28 February 2017 20:48:30(UTC)

Hi everyone

What's the difference between a urologist and an ED consultant?  The reason I ask is that my urologist who did my non nerve sparing prostatectomy seems to be taking charge of my ED provision.  Should I stick with him or ask to be referred to a 'proper' ED specialist?  


Posted 28 February 2017 21:31:00(UTC)

Most Urologists are fully specialised in ED or Andrology. You would be far better normally sticking with them. To be bluntly honest I'm acutely aware I know far more than my ED nurse about ED than he does. He's quite nice but dithering and doesn't seem happy with his job. But that is in my particular area of the country. I think I may be re training them tbh

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
Posted 01 March 2017 00:10:28(UTC)

I disagree - the ED nurse or andrology clinic usually know far more about what the CCG will pay for, which meds can be used together, etc and generally will have the time and capacity to give you and your partner any counselling or support you need. However, it may be Ulsterman that your CCG doesn't provide an andrology service and that is why the urologist leads on it.

Our urologist is the best thing since sliced bread and is genuinely interested in what John tries, how it works, how successful it is, etc but he referred us to Zoe on the basis that she was the expert (his words, not mine). That's our particular part of the country.

Betty, he could probably use the vacuum without using the rings as long as he isn't too vigorous with it - it would help maintain penile health even if you are not using it for sex.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Posted 01 March 2017 18:08:18(UTC)
My CCG isn't great - no daily dose Cialis, no vacuum pump on the NHS - I haven't actually asked though if there is an ED service. Other than that, my urologist has been brilliant and my hospital is good too.

Posted 01 March 2017 18:44:22(UTC)

Whatever you do , just get started ok. Purchase a pump to keep his tissue healthy and stretched. Tablets won't work if you non nerve spared so make it known you want to try Alprostadil asap. Maybe try MUSE first which is a pellet that is inserted into your penis eye. Or there is a Vitaros cream or injections.
It's good that your consultant is willing to help but he may be hard to keep in contact with being so busy.
Good luck and keep posting

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
Posted 16 March 2017 21:59:25(UTC)

Haha Spam Troll.
Ouch , an external steel splint , no demo whatsoever , and a man slurring his words in his living room promoting it. Shame on you and I've reported it.

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade
©2017 Prostate Cancer UK