I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need some help please

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 08:13

Like lots of people I imagine, this whole subject is a bit of an unknown to me at the mo.

After MRI scans & template biopsies I was diagnosed with a low grade cancer (Gleason 3+3) and referred by my urologist to  an oncologist. After long discussions with him, I have elected to have 7.5 weeks radiotherapy, due to commence when my PSA has reduced from 8.5 down to "below 1". I started on bicalutamide, and am now having Zoladex injections every 28 days.

Whilst the onco gave me lots of information, I realise there are questions I don't have answers to, so I'm hoping somebody can help. Referring specifically to the daily R/therapy sessions, how long does it take (am I going to be there all morning), and will I be able to drive myself to & from the hospital each day? Also can somebody advise how long the Zoladex treatment is likely to go on for? (this is causing a few problems such as hot flushes, itchiness round my neck & head, weight gain, fatigue, and lack of strength & stamina).

Look forward to hearing from you.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:18

Hi and welcome

For me RT session was circa 15 minutes and that includes getting undressed and dressed. No pain no nothing. Driving presented no issues. Water frequency can increase circa 2 weeks in . The staff are there to help so ask if you have issues.

Zoladex: you should have been told how long. It will vary as higher risk guys are around the 2 – 3 year mark and those at less risk around 12 months.

Good luck with your RT treatment of which most guys tolerate quite well.

Ray

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:26

Hello Petrust and welcome

I have no personal experience of the kind of RT you will be undertaking but from what I've read from those who have, make sure that you plan where the loos are for the journey home, or carry a bottle and wipes in the car for the urgent stop.

Any wide ish necked bottle will do but you can get proper ones online or at a disability shop. A lid isn't crucial if you are able to empty it at the side of the road

Believe me they are very handy to keep in the car!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:33
Hi

I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy and apart from the early start and the travelling it wasn't a problem. First I had to have a scan where they check the prostate and make 3 small tattoos so they can target the PCa correctly. They ask that you empty your bowels before hand and drink a bottle of water about 45-60 minutes before.

The radiotherapists were very good and told me well before hand when to drink the water so I wasn't waiting too long after having it. One thing I learnt from other men having the treatment was to take a bottle of water as the water in the drinking fountain was far too cold.

The treatment apart from dressing and undressing didn't take too long, about 2-3 minutes on the table. I was told that I might get some soreness at the rear end and to get some aqueous cream to relieve it. Fortunately I didn't get much soreness but the cream did help.

Hope all goes well, keep us all informed as you'll get a lot of help and support here.

Best wishes, Arthur

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:18

Hi and welcome

For me RT session was circa 15 minutes and that includes getting undressed and dressed. No pain no nothing. Driving presented no issues. Water frequency can increase circa 2 weeks in . The staff are there to help so ask if you have issues.

Zoladex: you should have been told how long. It will vary as higher risk guys are around the 2 – 3 year mark and those at less risk around 12 months.

Good luck with your RT treatment of which most guys tolerate quite well.

Ray

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:26

Hello Petrust and welcome

I have no personal experience of the kind of RT you will be undertaking but from what I've read from those who have, make sure that you plan where the loos are for the journey home, or carry a bottle and wipes in the car for the urgent stop.

Any wide ish necked bottle will do but you can get proper ones online or at a disability shop. A lid isn't crucial if you are able to empty it at the side of the road

Believe me they are very handy to keep in the car!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 09:33
Hi

I had 37 sessions of radiotherapy and apart from the early start and the travelling it wasn't a problem. First I had to have a scan where they check the prostate and make 3 small tattoos so they can target the PCa correctly. They ask that you empty your bowels before hand and drink a bottle of water about 45-60 minutes before.

The radiotherapists were very good and told me well before hand when to drink the water so I wasn't waiting too long after having it. One thing I learnt from other men having the treatment was to take a bottle of water as the water in the drinking fountain was far too cold.

The treatment apart from dressing and undressing didn't take too long, about 2-3 minutes on the table. I was told that I might get some soreness at the rear end and to get some aqueous cream to relieve it. Fortunately I didn't get much soreness but the cream did help.

Hope all goes well, keep us all informed as you'll get a lot of help and support here.

Best wishes, Arthur

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 14:18

I had 20 sessions that involved two hours & two buses each way. knowing where the toilets are is key, the RT will be passing through or near the bowel & bladder, some distress must be expected. You will likely feel increasing fatique of the sort you can push through if you need to. The treatment is no more than 5 mins lying very still with your drawers pulled down exchanging pleasantries with some very professional folk. Most importantly this is where you get to attack what is attacking you, hopefully to its destruction. The HT is to starve it but the RT is to kill it and I really liked doing that & it made the side effects very copable. I hope you find the same.

That was 3 months ago, I had an MRI last Tues so that the Onco has the latest about whether it's worked but I don't yet have an appointment with her.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 18:24

My husband had his appointments first thing in the morning and called in for his RT on the way to work. Apart from a couple of days when he finished a bit early or had a nap on the desk, he continued to work full time, go to the gym every evening and play his beloved rugby. No side effects to speak of and 4 days a week he was in the hospital for 10 -15 minutes. On Wednesdays, it was longer because he had a weekly scan and review with the onco straight after the zapping but judging from other members here, this is not common. Some only see the onco before RT starts and then for a review when the 7 weeks is over.

Some men find that RT completely wipes them out and fatigue becomes an issue. Exercise (particularly swimming) seems to help with this.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 19:18

Ditto Lyns husband. Four weeks sailed by. Drove to Weston Park first thing and in work for 10 am each day following the RT

Bri

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 20:33

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I just wanted to wish you all the best for your treatment, I'm sure it will go well for you.

I had nineteen sessions of radiotherapy last year. You may want to read my account of my experience "My Radical Radiotherapy begins today!" (in two parts) which can be found under the "Treatment" section, "Localised" Cancer. 

You may find it interesting but all I would say is that most treatments are very straightforward. I had a few problems but I'm sure you won't.

Good Luck.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 22:47
Hi Petrust

You are very similar to me , "read my profile", you should have no problem driving yourself depending how far you have to go mine was 15 miles 1/2 an hour, my wife shared the driving, the only problem I had was needing the loo as soon as I got home , watch out for traffic problems or get a pee bottle like a lot of us have. The treament takes roughly 10 minutes +the water drinking time of 20 mins., completly painless. I was on Zoladex and Bicultamide the Zol. For 6 months, you will find the R/Therapy makes you tired as you get towards the end but you will be fine .

Good luck with everything , I finished in March and feel OK just finished decorating the lounge.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 09:16

Thank you so much for all your prompt replies, nothing beats first hand experience & knowledge. It's a relief to know that I will be able to drive to & from hospital (15 mins from home by car), and if possible I will try to arrange early am treatment sessions. Although I'm 73, I still work part-time so would be able to go in after hospital. I will definitely get a "bottle" just in case of traffic delays!
Having read your replies, I now feel a lot more confident and am keen to get things underway; - I just want to tackle this "invader" inside me.
Regarding the fatigue issues, I realise I will have to push myself a bit. I've always been active in various sports & leisure activities, so I will make sure I still walk the dog, maintain my garden, ride my motorbike, etc.
Just off to the GP now for Zoladex injection No. 2............

User
Posted 05 Jun 2016 at 11:56

As for a bottle, I have used one of the clothes washing softener bottles, like comfort, on many a camping trip. Wide neck bottles, with screw on top.

all the best.

toad