I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wish me luck

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 14:16

Tomorrow (Sat 19th) this vertically,  horizontally challenged (read short and round!)  67 year old grandmother with arthritis is booked to abseil the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth in aid of the Ellen Macarthur Trust, which takes children recovering/in remission from cancer on sailing trips.

Grandson number 2, who himself benefited from the trust following his cancer, is now a volunteer sailing instructor for them and on his last trip put his and his dad's name down for the abseil.

Unfortunately his dad is double booked so my daughter and grandson # 3, who definitely didn't want to do it, thought who can we ask who is mad enough to give it a try.

Hence I'm abseiling, for the first time in my life, down a 100 metre drop.

When I agreed I was thinking in old money ie 100 ft and thought I could manage that. It was our granddaughter who pointed out it was actually in metres! Committed now (and actually John thinks I ought to be) so off we go tomorrow on the train.

I'm not asking for sponsorship as I think that should be left on this site for Prostate Cancer, but if everyone who reads this thinks positive thoughts I  might just make it. !!

I've watched a lot of the videos and in my head I reckon I can do it. However, once I'm on that platform looking down it might be a different kettle of fish, so get thinking please folks.

John not wildly happy about it at all. Even the grandson I'm doing it with was reluctant when told I had agreed.

His first thoughts were,

a) What if you fall off (I won't as I'm firmly hooked on)

b) What if you have a heart attack (I won't - as far as I am aware my heart is perfectly fine as it my blood pressure)

c) You might have a stroke (I won't - see above)

d) What about your hands. Ah, well that might be a problem as that's a bit of a problem at the moment but we'll see.

e) You'll get rope burns. (I won't - I don't intend to be that fast!)

I did worry that  he was trying to put me off as maybe he is embarrassed to be seen with the old lady but he assures me it's just that he would feel responsible if anything happened to me.

If you have done this already I would appreciate any tips.

I hope to be wearing a go-pro so no point in advising me, as a neighbour did, not to look down, though I might not actually look, just aim the helmet down there, it just depends on how brave I'm feeling at the time!

Edited by member 18 Sep 2015 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 21:52

Thank you all for the kind words and positive thoughts, it must have worked.

At 2.15 this afternoon (19th September) I climbed over the steel hawsers and began my descent.

It was quite exhilarating I must say.

Our grandson also managed it and between us, up to today, we have raised £1,100 (+ gift aid).

This will help send two recovering children on a sailing holiday with the Ellen Macarthur Trust.

We still have other monies to collect so the total will go a little higher.

I was asked at the bottom if I would consider doing it again and I said yes and meant it.

If they had said there and then that another go was possible I would have taken it but I know full well that if it didn't happen again today it wasn't going to be repeated - must have been the adrenaline speaking.

Anyway, it's done now. I said I would and I did. Now I can go back to being a little old lady with her crafting!!

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 09:43

Thanks again all for the latest responses.
Chris, it's a good job I didn't see a post like yours before I did it. SHORT ROPE !! Nobody mentioned that possibility.
I doubt very much if it would have been mentioned on South Today as it must be a very common thing there, unless you were referring to somebody having been given a short rope of course.

I must admit, that after we had been for a look round Portsmouth following the abseil you hear people commenting on those still coming down, saying they wouldn't be mad enough to do it. The adrenaline was high enough for me to feel like interrupting them and say "Well, I just did!"

The Ellen Macarthur lads and lasses made a big fuss of me,calling me "Legend", but that was because I was the oldest one taking part for them yesterday. There was a father doing it but no grandparents.

I did the right thing (for me anyway) of checking out all the videos before hand. I felt very familiar with where we were taken and I wasn't shocked by the tiny platform etc. I got off the edge OK and as I had asked if I could go down at the same time as my grandson I was stuck in mid air for over 5 minutes why they waited to hook him on. In the end I had to call up to them and say tell him he'll have to catch me up.
My right hand isn't particularly strong because of arthritis and the left wrist has a metal plate in it which is also a bit weak so hanging in mid air was putting a strain on them and it was easier to start going down.

You are warned that at about the midway point, the rope will feel like it wants to get away from you and when I suddenly started speeding up without me consciously doing it I was, well I think surprised is the word, well something like that!

I had to use both hands at one point just to have the strength to slow me down, by which time my grandson had only just been able to start off so was a way behind me.
Naturally, because of that, I got to the bottom first so now they are teasing him that his grandmother beat him to the bottom.

I stupidly didn't charge my phone so it was as dead as the proverbial nail after I'd done the abseil so had to wait till I got home to update you all.
It was a long day. Hornchurch to Portsmouth on the train, so early start and didn't get home until gone 8.

Mind you, that did include some therapeutic shopping for my grandsons and daughter, John and I are not into that sort of thing in particular.

Would I really do it again, maybe.
John might have something to say about that though. He really didn't want me to do it so might have his  say about a repeat.

Thanks again all, I'm sure I couldn't have done it without the support.

Special thanks to those who gave me tips regarding leaning into the harness etc.

That really helped. I remembered to do it and felt it was surprisingly comfortable (well as comfortable as you can be 300+  feet up in midair).
It also meant I could use my feet flat on the wall, unlike my grandson who didn't get the same advice and used his toes.
They are painting the Spinnaker in Emirate colours of yellow and blue so the toes of his trainers got stained.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 14:39

Well good for you and wishing you all the very best!!

Yet another one for the "you never know what is around the corner" book of surprises!

I look forward to hearing how it went!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 14:50
S

Have a fun day and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:18

WOW, Sandra!

You're one of the bravest women around (or one of the daftest!).http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

One thing's for sure, you've gut more guts than I'll ever have.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:34

Good luck Sandra...ive abseiled in the past. A bit daunting when you first have to lean backwards but trust the guys who are the experts. Without a doubt you will feel an overwhelming sense of achievement when your feet land on terra firma

Good luck (not that you will need it) and enjoy

Bri x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:38

Sandra Amazing
I know you can do it !! Once you have leaned back and trusted the rope its not so bad at all . Good luck girl .
Best wishes Chris and El

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:41
Good luck Sandra

Arthur

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:49

Sandra,

Have a great time. I am sure you will do it with aplomb.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:53

Go for it, Sandra !

Fiona. x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 16:48

Sandra

That is so amazing.
Good for you and enjoy the moment

Paul

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 17:36
Sandra

I take my hat off to you. as a former gliding instructor and pilot I surprisingly have no head for heights at all. In fact my fear of them is almost a phobia. Of course sitting in a cockpit at anything up to 30,000 ft you have no real spatial sense of being high off the ground. I actually was sick and bawled my eyes out when i did the Empire state building just to prove to mysef that I could. Mick and two friends had to literally box me in to get me back down again. I was stuck to the wall like a limpet unable to make my legs move or stop the sobbing totally pathetic!!

I think the only way I could abseil down anything taller than my bungalow would be after at least a bottle of wine, jeez I can't stand on a chair to change a light bulb even!

Mick went on a jet pack high sppeed and altitude adventure in New Zealand, I had to be taken out of the viewing gallery I was bawling so much.

I think you really need to shout and yell yabba dabba doo or gerronimo or something when you lean back and go. You may think you will not go fast but I would probably wear the sturdiest gardening gloves you own just in case. I really think you should be doing this in a wonderwoman outfit or something.

Ironically I was in the Portsmouth area on Wednesday and might have been tempted to stay and shout you along had I known. I will, as a measure of some solidarity for a certifiable PCa forum stalwart, be thinking of you and praying like crazy that you get down in one piece and actually enjoy the experience.

My very best wishes

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 17:51

Hi Sandra,

You're amazing to do this.  I admire you for attempting this.  I have photographed abseiling many times (from the top departure point) but I've never done it myself.  Remember, if you don't feel comfortable about it, you don't have to do it.  There's no shame in changing your mind.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm working in Wales tomorrow, I would come and offer my support and take a few photos.

You really are a very special person who inspires others by your actions and words.  I will always be grateful for the support you have given me.  Many Thanks and Good Luck.

Will be thinking of you.

Steve xxx

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 17:54

Now that's impressive!  Good luck for tomorrow!

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 18:44
Hi Sandra

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. You can do it! I am having positive thoughts for you.

Thank you for the great support you give for the members of thie forum.

Will be thinking of you.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 21:18
Hi Sandra

O MY GOD!! O MY GOD!! I'm petrified for you Sandra, sounds very scary to me.

O dear perhaps that wasn't the most reassuring comment to make to instil confidence in you. Sorry it was my first response.

Second more level headed response - don't look down, breath, and enjoy. Am sure it will be a fabulous experience.

Lesley x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 21:35

All I can say is you'll love it....such a feeling of liberation.....go girl !!!!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 22:42
Sandra

Having been up and down the Tower several times (by lift) you have my admiration.

Good luck and enjoy!

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:07
Congratulations and well done!

I knew you would it!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:17
Awesome Lady, well done you!!

I just sent a PM to a friend on this forum and said I had been thinking abut you.

What will be next I wonder?

I just dont see you as a little old lady at all

brilliant job for a fantastic cause

xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:29

Hi Sandra,

Well done the both of you. Takes courage but good cause benefits.

Barry
User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:53
Well done Sandra, a great achievement and for a wonderful cause. Must be so satisfying for you

Arthur

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 23:17

Hi Sandra,

What a fantastic achievement, well done.  I wish I could have been there to congratulate you.

I feel quite ashamed that I've never had the nerve to do it.  I would love to do a parachute jump (even though my wife wouldn't allow it) but have never fancied what you have just achieved.  You are amazing.

Thank you for proving that if you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

Steve xx

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 23:25

Oh my god you're back !!
I know you wont believe this but I was out conkering with my little boy , and when I got back at 3.30 I looked to see if you had posted . And you hadn't . And I started thinking your rope was too short ( It happens ! ) . And I checked South Today news . And then you posted . Pheeeeeeww . What would we do without you .
A MIGHTY achievement Sandra and you have all my respect xx
Chris

Edited by member 19 Sep 2015 at 23:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 10:17
Brilliant, Sandra.

Steve x

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 16:01

Well done....SX needs people like you.... :-)

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 19:34
Wow Sandra that's amazing, well done you!

Is there any way I can sponsor you?

Trish xx

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 21:18

CONGRATULATIONS SANDRA!

I'm in awe,http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif and hey, YOU will never be a little old lady!!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 23:18
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Trish xx

I found the just giving page fairly easily by googling 'Justgiving Ellen McArthur Spinnaker' It is Sandra's grandson's page - his name is Sam

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 23:21

well done x

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 15:48
Congratulations Sandra, a great cause :-)

Maureen x

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 18:47

Trish - thanks for reply. Mail box empty

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 14:39

Well good for you and wishing you all the very best!!

Yet another one for the "you never know what is around the corner" book of surprises!

I look forward to hearing how it went!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 14:50
S

Have a fun day and enjoy yourself.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:18

WOW, Sandra!

You're one of the bravest women around (or one of the daftest!).http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

One thing's for sure, you've gut more guts than I'll ever have.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:34

Good luck Sandra...ive abseiled in the past. A bit daunting when you first have to lean backwards but trust the guys who are the experts. Without a doubt you will feel an overwhelming sense of achievement when your feet land on terra firma

Good luck (not that you will need it) and enjoy

Bri x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:38

Sandra Amazing
I know you can do it !! Once you have leaned back and trusted the rope its not so bad at all . Good luck girl .
Best wishes Chris and El

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:41
Good luck Sandra

Arthur

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:49

Sandra,

Have a great time. I am sure you will do it with aplomb.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 15:53

Go for it, Sandra !

Fiona. x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 16:48

Sandra

That is so amazing.
Good for you and enjoy the moment

Paul

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 17:36
Sandra

I take my hat off to you. as a former gliding instructor and pilot I surprisingly have no head for heights at all. In fact my fear of them is almost a phobia. Of course sitting in a cockpit at anything up to 30,000 ft you have no real spatial sense of being high off the ground. I actually was sick and bawled my eyes out when i did the Empire state building just to prove to mysef that I could. Mick and two friends had to literally box me in to get me back down again. I was stuck to the wall like a limpet unable to make my legs move or stop the sobbing totally pathetic!!

I think the only way I could abseil down anything taller than my bungalow would be after at least a bottle of wine, jeez I can't stand on a chair to change a light bulb even!

Mick went on a jet pack high sppeed and altitude adventure in New Zealand, I had to be taken out of the viewing gallery I was bawling so much.

I think you really need to shout and yell yabba dabba doo or gerronimo or something when you lean back and go. You may think you will not go fast but I would probably wear the sturdiest gardening gloves you own just in case. I really think you should be doing this in a wonderwoman outfit or something.

Ironically I was in the Portsmouth area on Wednesday and might have been tempted to stay and shout you along had I known. I will, as a measure of some solidarity for a certifiable PCa forum stalwart, be thinking of you and praying like crazy that you get down in one piece and actually enjoy the experience.

My very best wishes

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 17:51

Hi Sandra,

You're amazing to do this.  I admire you for attempting this.  I have photographed abseiling many times (from the top departure point) but I've never done it myself.  Remember, if you don't feel comfortable about it, you don't have to do it.  There's no shame in changing your mind.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm working in Wales tomorrow, I would come and offer my support and take a few photos.

You really are a very special person who inspires others by your actions and words.  I will always be grateful for the support you have given me.  Many Thanks and Good Luck.

Will be thinking of you.

Steve xxx

User

Thank you all for the kind words.

I've just had a conversation with my aunt (who is also my stepmother! - long story)
As I appeared so calm to her, she wanted to know if I had taken anything to quieten the fear!! She was serious too.

I have checked out the Spinnaker videos thoroughly, some of which were probably not a good idea, but I feel that once I'm passed the first bit where you have to climb round a hawser and put one foot behind the other (the ledge is too narrow for side by side) and then lower yourself into the harness I will have done the worst bit.

That's my profound hope anyway.

Mo, your post did make me laugh.
I don't have much of a head for heights either believe it or not but it is the knowledge that I am completely attached, by two ropes at that, that gives me confidence. I think I could recite the instructions along with the bloke when he says them.

I watched another video of a baby crawling across the glass floor and I shuddered and told John I couldn't do that.
Aren't we strange

Well, I'll let you all know how I get on

Grandson had to put a fundraising figure in Just giving when he registered and he put in £500.

The total at present stands at £740 and it will go higher as there are my neighbours still to put in and some of my family.

On that basis I really have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Can't even curl up in a ball tomorrow and recover as the other grandchildren are coming for a Sunday roast !!

User

Now that's impressive!  Good luck for tomorrow!

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 18:12

Just seen your post Steve, and yours too flexi,  thank you very much.

I will hate myself if I have to give it up.

I mean this really sincerely but this little jaunt is a voluntary one, I could do it or not.

For my grandson, my daughter, my husband, my niece and a young 16 year old girl we know who has lost not only her leg but half her pelvis and  buttock through cancer, not to mention you lot, well what can I say.

What you have all put up with and continue to put up with, well this doesn't compare

If I also enjoy it then it's a bonus and I shall treasure the moments.

I do know that the children who get on the trips benefit enormously.

You will know through your own experiences that cancer and its treatment can isolate you from family and friends because, with the best will in the world, if we aren't going through it we can't really understand.

On these sailing trips the children not only have experiences they probably would never have, but they get to talk to other children who have gone through the treatment, have lost their hair and can really understand what it's like.
It builds their confidence so much.

I suppose very much like those men who go to to RT and gell with other men undergoing the same thing.

Our grandson had no prior sailing ability but because of what he gained on the sailing trips with Ellen Macarthur, he has become a trained sailing and windsurfing instructor. All the family have canoes and enjoy their outings on the water.

Anyway, enough of that.
You can probably tell that I am tremendously proud of my grandson and my daughter and hope that tomorrow I can do THEM proud as well as make a useful contribution to funds for taking another child on a sailing trip.

Edited by member 19 Sep 2015 at 06:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 18:44
Hi Sandra

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. You can do it! I am having positive thoughts for you.

Thank you for the great support you give for the members of thie forum.

Will be thinking of you.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 21:18
Hi Sandra

O MY GOD!! O MY GOD!! I'm petrified for you Sandra, sounds very scary to me.

O dear perhaps that wasn't the most reassuring comment to make to instil confidence in you. Sorry it was my first response.

Second more level headed response - don't look down, breath, and enjoy. Am sure it will be a fabulous experience.

Lesley x

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 21:35

All I can say is you'll love it....such a feeling of liberation.....go girl !!!!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 21:43

I wished!!

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 22:42
Sandra

Having been up and down the Tower several times (by lift) you have my admiration.

Good luck and enjoy!

Maureen

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 21:52

Thank you all for the kind words and positive thoughts, it must have worked.

At 2.15 this afternoon (19th September) I climbed over the steel hawsers and began my descent.

It was quite exhilarating I must say.

Our grandson also managed it and between us, up to today, we have raised £1,100 (+ gift aid).

This will help send two recovering children on a sailing holiday with the Ellen Macarthur Trust.

We still have other monies to collect so the total will go a little higher.

I was asked at the bottom if I would consider doing it again and I said yes and meant it.

If they had said there and then that another go was possible I would have taken it but I know full well that if it didn't happen again today it wasn't going to be repeated - must have been the adrenaline speaking.

Anyway, it's done now. I said I would and I did. Now I can go back to being a little old lady with her crafting!!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:07
Congratulations and well done!

I knew you would it!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:17
Awesome Lady, well done you!!

I just sent a PM to a friend on this forum and said I had been thinking abut you.

What will be next I wonder?

I just dont see you as a little old lady at all

brilliant job for a fantastic cause

xx

Mo

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:29

Hi Sandra,

Well done the both of you. Takes courage but good cause benefits.

Barry
User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 22:53
Well done Sandra, a great achievement and for a wonderful cause. Must be so satisfying for you

Arthur

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 23:17

Hi Sandra,

What a fantastic achievement, well done.  I wish I could have been there to congratulate you.

I feel quite ashamed that I've never had the nerve to do it.  I would love to do a parachute jump (even though my wife wouldn't allow it) but have never fancied what you have just achieved.  You are amazing.

Thank you for proving that if you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

Steve xx

User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 23:25

Oh my god you're back !!
I know you wont believe this but I was out conkering with my little boy , and when I got back at 3.30 I looked to see if you had posted . And you hadn't . And I started thinking your rope was too short ( It happens ! ) . And I checked South Today news . And then you posted . Pheeeeeeww . What would we do without you .
A MIGHTY achievement Sandra and you have all my respect xx
Chris

Edited by member 19 Sep 2015 at 23:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 09:43

Thanks again all for the latest responses.
Chris, it's a good job I didn't see a post like yours before I did it. SHORT ROPE !! Nobody mentioned that possibility.
I doubt very much if it would have been mentioned on South Today as it must be a very common thing there, unless you were referring to somebody having been given a short rope of course.

I must admit, that after we had been for a look round Portsmouth following the abseil you hear people commenting on those still coming down, saying they wouldn't be mad enough to do it. The adrenaline was high enough for me to feel like interrupting them and say "Well, I just did!"

The Ellen Macarthur lads and lasses made a big fuss of me,calling me "Legend", but that was because I was the oldest one taking part for them yesterday. There was a father doing it but no grandparents.

I did the right thing (for me anyway) of checking out all the videos before hand. I felt very familiar with where we were taken and I wasn't shocked by the tiny platform etc. I got off the edge OK and as I had asked if I could go down at the same time as my grandson I was stuck in mid air for over 5 minutes why they waited to hook him on. In the end I had to call up to them and say tell him he'll have to catch me up.
My right hand isn't particularly strong because of arthritis and the left wrist has a metal plate in it which is also a bit weak so hanging in mid air was putting a strain on them and it was easier to start going down.

You are warned that at about the midway point, the rope will feel like it wants to get away from you and when I suddenly started speeding up without me consciously doing it I was, well I think surprised is the word, well something like that!

I had to use both hands at one point just to have the strength to slow me down, by which time my grandson had only just been able to start off so was a way behind me.
Naturally, because of that, I got to the bottom first so now they are teasing him that his grandmother beat him to the bottom.

I stupidly didn't charge my phone so it was as dead as the proverbial nail after I'd done the abseil so had to wait till I got home to update you all.
It was a long day. Hornchurch to Portsmouth on the train, so early start and didn't get home until gone 8.

Mind you, that did include some therapeutic shopping for my grandsons and daughter, John and I are not into that sort of thing in particular.

Would I really do it again, maybe.
John might have something to say about that though. He really didn't want me to do it so might have his  say about a repeat.

Thanks again all, I'm sure I couldn't have done it without the support.

Special thanks to those who gave me tips regarding leaning into the harness etc.

That really helped. I remembered to do it and felt it was surprisingly comfortable (well as comfortable as you can be 300+  feet up in midair).
It also meant I could use my feet flat on the wall, unlike my grandson who didn't get the same advice and used his toes.
They are painting the Spinnaker in Emirate colours of yellow and blue so the toes of his trainers got stained.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 10:17
Brilliant, Sandra.

Steve x

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 16:01

Well done....SX needs people like you.... :-)

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 19:34

Trish xx

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 21:18

CONGRATULATIONS SANDRA!

I'm in awe,http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif and hey, YOU will never be a little old lady!!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 21:24

CONGRATULATIONS SANDRA!

Thank you for the compliment

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 23:18

Trish xx

I found the just giving page fairly easily by googling 'Justgiving Ellen McArthur Spinnaker' It is Sandra's grandson's page - his name is Sam

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 23:21

well done x

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 15:48
Congratulations Sandra, a great cause :-)

Maureen x

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 17:30

Hi Sandra,

You're mailbox is full so I can't reply, but honestly it's fine no worries 😉😉😉

Trish xx

User
Posted 21 Sep 2015 at 17:51

Well Done Sandra. You are truly a Star and a whole lot braver than me.

Sorry I wasn't around to wish you luck before the big event but you obviously didn't need any help from me.

Fantastic !

Cobbles xx 

User

Wow Cobbles, that woke me up !!!

Been trying to edit the video today. Before they pass you the go-pro helmet they face it towards you and you have to say who you are and what charity you are abseiling for. It's so there are no mix ups.

Well when we got home and put it on, they all cracked up. They said I looked like and IS hostage being videoed through a fisheye camera so that had to come off.

I have managed to edit it, put on some music (Rod Stewart's I am Sailing - seemed appropriate given it's a sailing charity)
but the damned thing will not go on a disc or stick. I just end up saving it on the computer. Facebook wont allow it as I am using music so I am currently trying to get a youtube account but that doesn't want to know either.

I've changed to windows 10 and generally I am pleased with it but this I cannot cope with.

I've looked at myself so much today I have ceased to amuse me !!

User

Trish - thanks for reply. Mail box empty

User
Posted 14 Oct 2015 at 12:10

Just an an update for those kind souls who wished me well.

The final donations appear to be in and between us my grandson and me raised £1,300 plus gift aid of £295. This makes a total of £1,569.

As it costs around £500 to send a child/youth on one of the sailing trips we raised enough to give three children that experience.

Thank you all so much for your support before and your kind words afterwards.

It was all much appreciated.

Sandra and Sam