I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Addressing the Consultant

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 12:39

How do most folk address the consultant?

Although I'm happy enough to be, and would  prefer to be called by my first name, I don't find addressing the consultant (either when it's been private or NHS) by their first name comes naturally to me.

I suppose good manners dictate that you should call people by whatever they want to be called

In part, I suspect it's an acknowledgement of their professional status. Also it may be that in the back of my mind, there may be a time when the consultant/patient relationship may not be as good, so it saves falling back on the Mr/Dr (Surname) bit.

I'd appreciate views on this.

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 18:29

First time i met my consultant he said call me Jamie, but then he is only a young boy.

Saying that its a lot better than what he calls me sometimes http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 22:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dr. or Mr. from me too.
It may well be the age thing.

in my last job before retiring I always called the boss man Mr and even his wife who worked there thought it odd.

Like you crescent,my excuse was that if we had a falling out I would rather it was formal.

Hi Johsan,

That's reminded me of something that I found useful when I was working that I had forgotten about.

Invariably I used to stand up when anyone, irrespective of status, came to my desk to speak to me. Wasn't the norm in my organisation but people did notice it as good manners, and it cost me nothing.

Anachronistic nowadays?

Probably, but quite effective when my bosses came to expect it, they soon realised that on the occasions when they came to speak to me and I remained seated, it sent a distinct message to them that they weren't in my good books.

Office politics hey? don't miss them !

Dave

Edited by member 22 Sep 2015 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 13:08

Hi Dave
I'm of the age ( 48 ) where I believe a Dr should be called Doctor , and a surgeon should be called Mr . They aren't better people than you , and not necessarily any better qualified in my case , but tradition dictates they should be treated with the respect they deserve . And I believe they deserve that respect . My issues have now been going on for over a year with my GP , my Urologist surgeon my Psychiatrist . Its just like any other relationship where you " judge " your connection I guess . I always call my Doctor Dr , but on occasion have used his name . When I found out I was actually seriously poorly I called my surgeon by his first name and he smiled at me .
I guess as with anything in life you just feel your way.
Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 14:05

I just call her the WIZZ short for Wizard (but not to her face) that would be crazy.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 16:41

I would use Doctor or Mr to their face. I think I am in a formal relationship with them. Even though I knew my GP personally I rarely called him by his first name. Ironically my urologist called me Professor which was interesting though most people out of academic circles call me Mr or Paul, again at least to my face.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 17:32
My preference is to be formal - Ie Mr or Dr. I am not saying I am right but that's the way I was brought up, so old habits die hard.

In my old job I was told off for being too formal by referring to senior staff as Mr etc and he suggested I used first names. I did as I was told but I felt quite put out that my boss judged me as I just thought I was being polite.

However, it is a changing world and some people prefer a more informal approach. I would say just be yourself and deal with each situation arising on its merits and take it from there.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 17:39

Dr. or Mr. from me too.

in my last job before retiring I always called the boss man Mr and even his wife who worked there thought it odd.

Like you crescent,my excuse was that if we had a falling out I would rather it was formal.

My GP was part of a doctoring family so was known as Dr. Harry. I knew him for over 25 years and sometimes found it difficult to remember to put in the Dr. bit. I don't think he would have minded

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 17:51
Dave

I think the normal is to call a non surgical registrar or consultant Dr and a surgical one Mr. Once was a time they would frown if you got that bit wrong. Not so much nowadays. Mick's consultant Oncologist was young (and Latin American with a very Hispanic surname) he specifically asked Mick to call him David so that is how we worked. At the hospice the palliative care consultants are Generally called Dr by the patients, staff, Volunteers and Relatives/visitors. However we do have one very young consultant who prefers to be called by his first name. I also am friends with one of them so if I am talking to him in a non professional capacity I use his first name but in front of patients or relatives I use Dr and his surname.

It becomes quite habitual, personally I think it is all a little bit old fashioned but that is how certain professions and institutions work so I respect that.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 18:29

First time i met my consultant he said call me Jamie, but then he is only a young boy.

Saying that its a lot better than what he calls me sometimes http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 19:19

I work with some Dr's ie Psychiatry and Psychology and they are both known to their patients and the team by their first names. They both believe the use of an informal approach helps the Dr/patient relationship. Some older carers do insist on addessing them formally though.

I've had a mixed bag...one urologist introduced himself as Mr......but then said call me Derek....another one introduced himself as Mr....so that's what it is. The oncol introduced herself with her first name. So that's what it is

I'm in favour of the more informal first name terms

Bri

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 20:00

Dave

I have seen my consultant / surgeon that many times we both address each other on a first name basis. Our urology nurses are the same and we have ended sessions with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

I think I am lucky to have such a wonderful urology team and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 22:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Dr. or Mr. from me too.

Hi Johsan,

That's reminded me of something that I found useful when I was working that I had forgotten about.

Invariably I used to stand up when anyone, irrespective of status, came to my desk to speak to me. Wasn't the norm in my organisation but people did notice it as good manners, and it cost me nothing.

Anachronistic nowadays?

Probably, but quite effective when my bosses came to expect it, they soon realised that on the occasions when they came to speak to me and I remained seated, it sent a distinct message to them that they weren't in my good books.

Office politics hey? don't miss them !

Dave

Edited by member 22 Sep 2015 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified