I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Decision on Treatment

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 13:01

Hi Everyone - my first post but I don't think it will be my last.

So what to do?

I'm 52 years old - fit as a fiddle with no symptoms. Had my PSA measured 2 1/2 years ago which was 5.7.  Two weeks later it was 7 and 3 months later it was down to 1.7. Since that time it's remained between 1 and 2 although the  last two were 3.2 and 3.3. (a week ago)

I had 2 biopsies at the beginning - not very pleasant eh chaps. The first one found 1 core out of 12 with abnormal cells.  The second one found nothing in the 12 samples.

I was asked to go for an MRI 3 weeks ago and the results shows the same small amount contained within the prostate but they are also now recommending treatment.

I know you have to chose for yourself but what to do? what did you do? and what informed your decision? 

I would really appreciate some advice.  TVM

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 13:59

Hi Briggs,

Have you been told for definite that you have prostate cancer?  Do you know how potentially aggressive it is i.e. the Gleason Score?

From what you say, if "they" (urologist / oncologist) are recommending treatment, what treatments are they recommending? 

If the cancer is contained within the prostate, as yours seems to be, i.e. it is localised, then there are a variety of treatments available, all of which offer a cure.  You can find out more about each treatment and their side effects by requesting / downloading the toolkit from this website.

You'll find that there are many variables to consider and what might have been right for me, may not be right for you.

Therefore, take your time in reading up about each treatment before choosing which one / combination to have.

Flexi

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 15:05

Briggs, what choices have they given you?  If you can say what the choices are then I am sure people can discuss them with you.

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 17:06

Hello Briggs and welcome
Get the toolkit that has been mentioned (from Publications)

Read it and use it to form your questions. Take pen and paper with you to the meetings with consultants as it is very hard to take everything in, also take another person along with you.
Two pairs of ears being better than one for listening.

The Gleason score will perhaps help you make a decision, as well naturally as advice from the docs.

All I would say is, don't rush into anything but research thoroughly.
Good luck and best wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 23:11

Some consultants are more inclined for patients to undergo early treatment than others or it may be that there is a particular reason for this, for example the cancer being found very close to the edge of the Prostate. I would ask why it is recommended you have the treatment soon and the nature of the treatment.

Edited by member 25 Sep 2015 at 17:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 00:41

I'm wondering if it is a TURP that has been recommended?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard