I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Different opinions from 2 Hospitals=Dilemma

User
Posted 28 Sep 2015 at 23:16

As some forum members may recall, the Marsden believed that my low but persistently rising PCa was being caused by recurrent cancer in my Prostate which they saw on an MRI scan. They subsequently referred me to UCLH to consider whether I was a suitable candidate for salvage treatment with HIFU. After more elaborate scans were done by UCLH, I was accepted into their 'Forecast' trial and had this procedure on 28th July last. My PSA pre HIFU was 1.99 and post HIFU was 0.42, a significant drop.

However, UCLH also deduced from their scans that I had a highly suspicious iliac lymph node in the right side of my pelvic area. I asked whether this might have been on the left side (rather than the right) as a query was raised about a lymph on my left side in 2007 when I was originally diagnosed with PCa but this was thought to be just fatty tissue. UCLH subsequently confirmed this was now a different node on the right side and told me it 'glowed' (presumably with the uptake of Choline administered with a special MRI scan). I was advised to start HT and was given an initial 12 week syringe of Zoladex with a short course of Bicalutamide tablets as a precursor. But I was rather disappointed because this is not an aggressive way of treating an isolated node, at least by itself.

In the circumstances, I decided to contact the Marsden for their opinion on whether they would surgically remove the node or treat it with some form of RT, perhaps with Cyberknife. However, at my consultation on 23rd September 2015, I was told by a well known doctor that they had seen the scans done by UCLH and although they agreed that the node was suspicious, they were unconvinced that it was affected by cancer and recommended that I did NOT start the HT but wait to see whether my PSA began to rise again! Though a different way forward to that proposed by UCLH, this is another option. The draw back as I see it, is that if indeed the node in question is cancerous and not treated, there is a potential for the cancer to mutate/spread elsewhere yet show little if any increase in PSA.

I am undecided on what to do for the best and will have a word with my GP for his thoughts. It seems to me that in the absence of a biopsy of the node, which was not offered, the scans are being interpreted in a different way by consultants from 2 of the UK's leading hospitals. Another possibility would be to seek the view of the hospital where I had my RT in Heidelberg, Germany, by sending them a copy of a disc showing my scans and recent histology. If it would help, I could have a 68 Gallium PET scan there which I am aware they consider superior to the Choline one and then take a view on it. I have provisionally established that they might treat me on a personalized basis with IMRT with a Proton boost if they are convinced the node in question is cancerous but they would want me to be on HT for 3 years! No doubt I would have to fund all of this as it would be outside a study this time. Decisions decisions!!

Barry
User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 09:05

Hmmm. Some deep thinking going to have to take place for you there Barry.

I wouldn't even know where to start on advice and even my thoughts are muddled so goodness know what yours must be like.

Both of those hospitals have fantastic reputations.

Right - now if the Marsden accept that it is suspicious but not cancerous what is the alternative. Are they saying it could be something relatively "mild" and if so and it is treated with the HT, that it will have no effect on it at all and they'll only know it was cancerous if the HT shrinks it?

What effect will the HT have on the rest of your cancer (or your body) apart from the usual unpleasant side effects. Will it help with the recurrent cancer in the prostate?

If you can afford the 68 Gallium PET scan that would then help with a future decision wouldn't it? If it is superior and likely to give a more accurate picture of what is happening, would that not be the best way forward.

At least having had the scan you will know where you stand. You could show the results to both British hospitals, especially the Marsden, if the scan shows that there is something definitely there which needs to be treated ASAP.

Financially perhaps it will be a huge strain and the thought of 3 years HT must be daunting.

Stating the obvious now Barry, sorry.

I hope somebody else will come along and give their input as I can't weigh up those pros and cons for you, never having had any of that treatment.

I wish you well with the decision and I'll be thinking of you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 11:22

Hi Barry,

Tricky one.

My situation as I've mentioned before is not a dissimilar one, although I have had both LRP and RT (but no HT)

I recently had a PET scan because I too have a 'glowing' lymph node. This may or may not, I gather be responsible for my PSA of 0.6.

The PET scan was taken with a view to me having targeted or conventional RT on the suspect node.

I'm in the odd position of not knowing whether the scan is part of the RT process (ie am I on a set path to have the treatment and this is a preparatory process?) or whether any further treatment is likely to be dependent on the result of this scan (ie, am I likely to be in a similar situation to you once the results are known?)

Communication is not helped as I am on holiday in Japan at the moment (my delayed scan finally happened when I was literally in transit London en-route to my early morning flight the next day!)

So all I can really say is what I would like/want to happen. That is; the suspect node to get zapped one way or the other, and no HT until it is thought necessary.

Best wishes,

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 20:02

Hi Barry very hard when you have two differing options for treatment . After reading your post a couple of times I would go to the German clinic and have the scan if I could afford to as this would give you a third opinion and may let you decide better which way to go and I would prefer to react rather than waiting to see if my psa did rise as you said this could move/ mutate elsewhere. all the best Andy

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 21:56
Hi Barry

As you know I had the 68 Gallium scan in Munich and am convinced it is superior to Choline but my worry would be, would it show any more than you already know. With your PSA being restrained by the HT it probably wouldn't show anything up at the moment anyway. I would assume the Choline would not have given a false positive as it should only have shown up if there was cancer present, so what makes your second opinion believe this is incorrect. If you went down the road of a 68 Gallium scan then you would need to come of of the HT and allow the PSA to rise to get the full picture and risk the possibility of spread albeit a low possibility.

Now I am going to play the devils advocate now if you don't mind, what if the Choline did not pick out all areas of concern and the 68 Gallium would have, if so maybe allowing the PSA to rise enough to allow the superior scan to detect this may be the way to go, but as we always say it's your decision, but whichever path you choose I wish you well.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 29 Sep 2015 at 22:14

Excellent point Roy. I'm stuck in this mess too. I've had the Choline PET which was clear , yet they say it was prob too early at PSA 2.2 , and they still believe my reading and rate of climb show spread / mets after a radical prostatectomy. However they giving me HT and RT in the new year hoping that it hasn't spread , despite RT being useless if it HAS spread. Sleepless nights !!
Best wishes Barry

User
Posted 30 Sep 2015 at 09:29

Barry you know my views on scans – no matter how good they will not pick up early mutations. Yes the German approach will give you more insight but it will still leave the unknown. So it’s down to the science and your vast knowledge of PCa to make the judgement of whether there are any mutations and if so will they cause harm in your natural lifetime?

For what’s it worth my opinion is there will be some mutations that at your staging could well be harmful. So even though HT is not short and short it could well be the final nail in the coffin for PCa. Put the emotions of HT to one side and go with the science as you see it.

Whatever path you choose I wish well

Ray

Edited by member 30 Sep 2015 at 09:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 01:43

Hi Folks,

Firstly, I would like to thank those who posted support and thoughts. I can now update following a meeting with Dr P at the Marsden on 23rd September and another with my GP last Friday.

I was led to believe that the Marsden initially were unconvinced that the iliac node was cancerous based on my PSA histology and with a pre HIFU figure of 1.99 and post HIFU figure of 0.42. Their opinion was not changed after seeing my scans and their advice was still not to start HT but to have another PSA test in four months. (I am due for a PSA test before then to meet the criteria of the UCLH HIFU study). I have decided not to start HT meanwhile, as this can mask how successful the HIFU has been and/or whether the node is causing a rise. The meeting I had at the Marsden though cordial was a strange one. After having said he remembered me from when we last met in 2008, the next words from Dr P were “what can we do for you?” I said there had been correspondence between Dr (now Professor H, at the Marsden, UCLH and me which I had copied to both hospitals and I had sent Professor H my scans and was hoping they would provide more aggressive treatment for my node . UCLH were only proposing HT. I had reverted to the Marsden because they referred me to UCLH for HIFU and actually wrote to UCLH saying they had received no feedback from them, so were clearly showing a continuing interest in monitoring me. It was then that Dr P told me that they had seen my scans and were unconvinced that that the node was cancerous, so no treatment offered by them. Furthermore, I was told that my treatment was down to my treating hospital, now UCLH and that if in due course my PSA was to rise I could get my GP to refer me back to the Marsden. In other words, contrary to what they previously wrote, they are not interested in monitoring me. This change in attitude may have been brought about because UCLH told the Marsden it would require careful cooperation if I was a patient of both hospitals. A letter to the Marsden copied to me said as much.

My GP agreed with me that because of the different opinions of the two hospitals on whether the single suspect node is cancerous, further opinions should be sought and he would be happy to support me by referrals.

I will follow up the preliminary inquiry I made with Heidelberg University Hospital where I had my RT in 2008 by sending them a disc of my scans and histology and will ask whether they consider the node cancerous and consider it should be treated and if so what treatment they would offer. I will also ask whether the 68 Gallium Pet scan they can do would help the determination. I have my doubts, as this test is perhaps better at finding minuscule numbers of cancer cells , whereas UCLH believe the node glowing with the uptake of Choline indicates cancer. But a better scan might find more metastasis!!

I have a tenuous connection with the QE in Birmingham, since I had a second opinion from an expert on radiation there in 2007 or 2008. However, the Professor is no longer there and although he took some notes at the time, he saw me somewhat unofficially in his lunch break as he had moved from prostates to heads by then and there may not be anything on record. Nevertheless, the QE has an excellent reputation and some advanced equipment. They are also running a trial with SABR which our member Roy is on. I will therefore send a disc of my scans and histology to them for an opinion and for possible treatment if they are prepared to become involved.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 09:23

Barry thanks for the interesting update. Once again you show by actions and courage your determination to go down your chosen path.

I'm looking at Prof J of the QE (where I had my RT) on the news talking about Prostate chemo. He comes with a long standing excellent reputation. Worth a try?

Ray

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 09:42
Hi Barry

I find the treatment at QE excellent and would recommend them to anyone. As we are not allowed to name specific people and can only use initials my Urologist is Mr

D and my Oncologist is Dr E-M, they also practice at the Priory and charge approx £200-£250 and it is only a mile away from the QE, which may be an option initially as this will allow them to spend more time going through the scans etc,after which if appropriate you could be referred to the QE for treatment.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 03:01

Progress and frustration!

After being told many weeks ago UCLH would send me a copy of my scans, I was passed from one person to another before I was put through to somebody there who told me that they would send me a disc with these on if I sent a cheque for £10, which I did immediately. I had a phone call in which I was told that UCLH had insufficient computing capability to include the full body MRI on the disc but this was of no consequence because it was the MR PET Choline one that identified the suspicious iliac node. In due course the disc arrived and after getting two copies burnt I sent one to the Marsden and another one with UCLH interpretation and histology to Heildelberg University Hospital where I was treated with RT in 2008, for an opinion. One disc I gave to my GP with details of my histology and my hospital number at the QE Birmingham from 2007 and the name of a doctor there whose secretary I had contacted who suggested I ask my GP to refer me again. (This is in hand).

Meanwhile, I have received a reply from Heidelberg. The MR PET Choline scan had not been put on the disc which was returned to me with a covering letter. So the opinion I was seeking could not be given. What they did suggest was that if my PSA rose above 0.7 that I had a PSMA-PET/CT scan. "It has been shown to be highly specific for prostate cancer and to have a higher specificity than choline-PET. It is also available at other hospitals in Europe."

So this is embarrassing and has lost me time. I have also had to contact my GP so inform him that the Choline scan had been missed off the disc. (Yet another of many admin errors at UCLH)

I managed to get through to the appropriate person at UCLH regarding the omission and have been promised the missing scan will be sent to me on a disc asap. I will then be able to forward this to Heidelberg and copy to Birmingham QE via my GP.

Making progress is such a struggle!!

By coincidence and very timely, I received a letter from UCLH enclosing a questionnaire on feedback on my views as a recent patient at UCLH 'to help improve your local cancer services'. You can imagine I was not complimentary, listing a number of admin errors and the lack of coordination which needs to be improved.

Edited by member 13 Nov 2015 at 03:07  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 07:46

Barry

Thanks for the update. Frustrating, to say the least, but you carry on where others could well have given up by now so well done on that.

On the 0.7 is that whilst on or off HT?

Ray

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 08:06
Hi Barry

Just to make sure that it hasn't happened again with the new disc, my advice would be to test it on your PC to see if it works, as it should come with all the files required to view it and doesn't need installing etc, you will find it fascinating to look through, also make copies of the discs for future reference etc either by selecting all the files and copying to your hard disc or making a hard copy.

Good luck

Roy

Edited by member 13 Nov 2015 at 08:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2015 at 21:08

I have now had the disc showing my Choline PET returned by Heidelberg University Hospital together with an opinion. ........"There are some pelvic lymph nodes with faint choline-uptake, however we would not see them as compelling enough to start either antihormonal therapy or radiation therapy. We did also compare the recent images to the last MRI's taken in Heidelberg in 2011, there was no change in morphology or size of the lymph nodes. However, PET is more sensitive for detection of lymph nodes metastases, thus normal morphology and stable size do not rule out the presence of micrometastases in these lymph nodes. As stated in the previous letter, we would recommend to take PSA measurements every three months. If there is an increase (to) above 0.70 ng/ml, we would advise to do a PSMA-PET/CT scan. This can be performed at Heidelberg University Hospital (Department of Nuclear Medicine) or other hospitals in Germany. There are also some centers offering PSMA PET/CT's outside of Germany, however (to our knowledge) none in the UK." *

So this opinion is similar to that of the Royal Marsden except that Heidelberg suggested PSA tests at three months rather than every four months and gave a figure before further scans yet alone treatment. I am minded to go along this route. However, there has been no feed back yet from the Birmingham QE but I am aware my GP took some time to contact them and this is England afterall!!

*When thanking my contact in Heidelberg, I took the opportunity to point out that UCLH now do the PSMA PET scan which could perhaps be helpful for my case at some point.

Edited by member 12 May 2016 at 13:00  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 06:51

So the waters are still somewhat muddied Barry.

On the other hand, they have confirmed (basically) what The Marsden have said so "best of three " !

Hope you hear from Birmingham soon

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 May 2016 at 01:55

Well it's happened, as I feared it most probably would! I refer to my PSA 9 months post HIFU having risen to 0.70, the figure my original RT treating hospital in Germany suggested should trigger the 68 Gallium PSMA scan with a view to me having possible further HT/RT. As it happens, I had a full body MRI with 'contrast' on 6th May 2016 within the 'LOCATE' study and I am awaiting a phone call from a consultant to learn whether the scan showed the HIFU was successful and the PSA coming from elsewhere. If it is not possible to obtain a clear opinion on this I will ask if UCLH are prepared to give me the PSMA scan which they now do.

Barry
User
Posted 12 May 2016 at 07:20

Hi Barry
Sorry to hear your psa has risen again. My future treatment involves coming off HT and letting my psa rise to 5 ?? Then a firm offer of another CholinePET scan at Oxford. I specifically asked if I could have PSMA scan anywhere and was told no. If it's better and can detect at lower levels then why won't they offer it me ? Onco Saint it was still at trial stage. Good luck
Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2016 at 20:54

Hi Chris,

No doubt we all want cutting edge scans and treatment but advances seem slow to be adopted in the UK. There does not appear much comparing the PSMA and Choline scans but this is a brief summary of such a comparison of both scans applied to the same 37 men. https://mdanderson.influuent.utsystem.edu/en/publications/comparison-of-pet-imaging-with-a-68galabelled-psma-ligand-and-18fcholinebased-petct-for-the-diagnosis-of-recurrent-prostate-cancer%28f545f035-b69d-4ca4-9c22-40516941c0bd%29.html

This is fleshed out in much greater detail here http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00259-013-2525-5

In short, the PSMA scan found more tumours in more of the men and is better at showing up cancer in the lymph nodes which is of particular interest to me. Our member Roy had a PSMA scan in Munich and I recall his UK consultant was very impressed with it.

Choline 18f as a tracer degrades very quickly and is does not always meet the required standard. (I and others have experienced this).

As with all scans, the PSMA one has it's limitations but will no doubt become more widely available in time. The Choline scan is also pretty rare. It requires the use of a cyclotron, so even the likes of UCLH have to have it made by an outside supplier and have it rushed to the hosptal's waiting patient.

Barry
User
Posted 12 May 2016 at 21:16

Yes Barry thanks.
My PET was cancelled twice and third time was lucky. Obvious external supply problems were explained to me , and even when I had it done my trust had been lost tbh. My psa post op was approx 2.2 , but NOTHING showed up. Apparently this is because I have many tiny tumours , or it was too early for a single tumour to be seen. I just don't understand it as some members say their Oncos are recommending scan at less than 0.1 ?? This time my Onco wants to catch me between 3 and 5 , but that could be tricky in itself with monthly testing and my apparent eager cancer. But doing something is better than doing nothing was his words , but he did not reproach us for refusing RT which was effectively far too late. Thank you for taking the time to post me those links
Chris

PS I had 5 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous

Edited by member 12 May 2016 at 21:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 00:43

Hi folks,

Saw the top UK focal man Professor E, last Wednesday to consider my situation and inquire about further investigations and treatment possibilities shortly and in due course if my PSA continued to climb, albeit slowly. It had been mentioned by my consultant last year that a further biopsy might be done of the equivocal area in my prostate and I also asked whether the suspect iliac node and if this proved to be cancerous' whether the latter could be removed surgically. My consultant said he would have to get a an opinion on this (presumably from Professor E) but it would appear that the idea of another biopsy was decided against.

So to the appointment. I was the last to be seen and Professor E's clinic was running late. I got the impression, though maybe mistakenly, that he was questioning why I was there, to the extent that I said my consultant had suggested it, which was true. Since my nadir in 2009 every PSA test I have had had showed a small increase over the previous one, the exception being the two PSA tests taken after HIFU in 2015.  However, the last one I had a couple or so weeks ago showed a drop to 0.64 from the previous 0.76 on 18th October 2016. So perhaps another reason to 'wait and see'. I was told that I might never require further treatment and that I was being monitored. But I have already had HIFU for failed RT, so what if my PSA resumed it's climb - what treatment and at what point would this be considered? I was told that it would be HT and if the cancer metastasized then Chemo. There would be no further RT, repeat HIFU or any other invasive treatment given by UCLH, to do so on a prostate that had already been subject to 2 major attacks might well cause more harm than good I was told. I asked whether my age (now 80 years young) played a part in this and was told definitely not. I would not welcome having HT again (8 months of it in 2007/8 was more than enough thank you.) Furthermore, University Hospital Heidelberg, my RT treating hospital have already indicated they would consider giving me further RT if a 68 Gallium PSMA scan showed it could be delivered appropriately. So I may follow this route in need having first established Cyberknife, a possible option, would not be given at 2 other hospitals where I have been seen. It's now a waiting game! Whatever will be will be, there's no point in worrying either way but being prepared for maybe another step is something I can do.

I did ask the Professor about the treatment where bacteria from the depths of the ocean is injected into a patient and activated where wanted by a light. He said that this was at a very early stage and was not expecting this to be used for a year or so. Furthermore, it would be used as a primary treatment and not as a salvage treatment. So no possibility for me there.

Although it was helpful to learn how UCLH would treat me if further treatment should be felt necessary, I considered I had spent the best part of the day traveling between London and North Devon for something that could have been conveyed over the telephone within 5 minuets.

Edited by member 24 Feb 2017 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 06:25

Hi all.

I'm glad to hear there are many different "weapons" to fight this cancer. In fact, the uro said so when we last saw him last wensday. The point is to choose the right one. I hope you will have as much as possible done. It's is frustrating when at the time you fight some illness you have to fight red tape too.

Carry on. I'm sure tou will win. You are winning.

The best for you,

Lola.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 08:27

Barry

As always a very interesting and informative post. I wonder if the tone from Prof E of convential treatment (HT - chemo) is all that will be on offer going forward is due to your own circumstances or a NHS cut back on more groundbreaking treatment for PCa guys in general? If the latter thats a pity as its guys like you who moved treatment bounderies forward. It will be interesting to see if you take the view I gave it my very best shot but now it's time to settle for a more relaxed path. I hope you do but Barry is Barry :-)

Ray

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 09:04

Interesting. I would expect the top focal guy to take all cases that will give his specialism an opportunity to shine so my take on this is that having already failed at RT and HIFU he does not believe that he can get you a cure either. And that is a significant thing isn't it Manwith .... you travelled far to get what you thought was the optimum RT provision but the outcome was not as you would have hoped, you are a great proponent of HIFU although it has possibly (you don't know for sure, fortunately) also failed. It seems the Prof does not believe that FLT would be any better.

Ray said what I was thinking; "I wonder at what point you might give in gracefully?" but that is not your style.

My dad's PSA is climbing slowly and last time we saw Mr P he put all the stats into his whizzy nomogram and predicted it will take 20 years to kill dad which would make him 99. Dad feels that is a reasonable target to aim for :-)

You may recall that Stan persuaded Mr P to remove the lymph nodes even though he was absolutely refusing point blank to have RP. It may have bought him a little time, who knows? Is there no surgeon that will take it out for you?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Feb 2017 at 00:18

Hi Barry,

I know you have gone into all of this to a much greater level than me, and all of my node business (detailed in profile) was ten years ago and is now superseded by newer treatments.  However, when I was diagnosed, so far as I understood it, their concerns about my node/s was due to the size of them.  They suspected PCa had spread to the nodes that were enlarged.

They had put me on HT from the outset, it turned out to be neoadjuvant HT, but initially it was merely HT to be going on with while they decided whether I merited RT.  At that time, their theory was that if the enlarged nodes shrank after 6 months on HT, then they were infected with PCa.  As it happened my nodes didn't shrink, but they still biopsied them to make sure, and it was only after they had confirmed that the enlarged nodes were benign that they went ahead with the RT.

So in your case, perhaps if at some stage in the future you go on HT, then it might be worth trying to get a scan after six months to see if there has been any change in the size of the nodes?

I don't know whether that might lead to a curative treatment option, but it might give you a clue, have they mentioned anything about the size of the nodes?

:)

Dave     

User
Posted 26 Feb 2017 at 02:42

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your thoughts. As regards the suspect node, Heidelberg to whom I sent a copy of my scans done by UCLH, in 2015 compared these with the scans they did covering the period 2008-11. They reported that the size and shape had not changed over this period and they felt the uptake of Choline was not sufficient for them to be convinced that this node was cancerous. This view was shared by the Marsden and QE Birmingham who also viewed the scans. However, UCLH believed the node was cancerous based on the uptake of Chlorine which they considered substantial. So a difference of interpretation.

The cores from 50 needles of my Prostate template biopsy in 2015 only showed 1 core with PCa and this was treated with HIFU. Yet from a post HIFU scan the UCLH report says the opinion is equivocal on whether there is some PCa within the Prostate.

Of course, I don't want to have further treatment if this is likely to be highly risky in introducing severe side effects but on the other hand I do want to consider what options other than just HT I have if PSA continues the upward trend. (It is clear that some consultants treat more aggressively than others). So if my PSA rises to 1.2, the point at which UCLH would start me on HT, I will consider more aggressive treatment elsewhere. My decision would also depend on what was on offer, how old and fit I was and what were the pros and cons.

Ray,

Professor E assured me that the decision for UCLH not to do anything other than initiate HT should PSA reach 1.2 was based solely on the battering my Prostate had already been subjected to and I believe this was his genuine opinion and not due to cost constraints.

Lyn,

As far as I am concerned it's not just a matter of longevity, it's the quality of life which would be impacted by long term HT that I would hope to avoid.

My mother used to say, "You never know when you're beaten". Sometimes this attitude has worked well but occasionally got me into trouble!!

Edited by member 26 Feb 2017 at 22:05  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 26 Feb 2017 at 10:23

Hi Barry,

I suppose I have the advantage in that having had HT twice, it holds no fear for me, I would cherish every extra year of life HT gave me.

However by the same token I don't want to be on HT if I don't need to be, so I need my doctors to convince me that I really need it, I think there is a tendency to put us on HT just to be on the safe side.  You know if I was an oncologist with a heavy case load and was presented with a shall we shan't we case, the easy option is to put the guy on HT.

In my case everything depends on the next PSA test, and I am anticipating the worse as I have 'doubled' twice in last three tests, 0.1, 0.2 and 0.4, so if the next one is 0.8 he will want me back on HT although I am tempted to hold out until it goes 1.6 or even 3.2.

He did say he was quite happy with intermittent HT, George H has lasted well on intermittent, and I think that is what I would prefer, but we haven't talked parameters yet.

Best of luck.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 26 Feb 2017 at 18:26

Choline, not chlorine! The choline PET scans don't show cancer, just heightened activity levels, in terms of cell multiplication and division. They suggest areas for further attention and are no substitute for a clinician's experience and best judgement. UCLH were being cautious and may be right but the weight of opinion is with the others. Give it time, which you clearly have and the right course of action will become obvious. Per Dad's Army "don't panic!"

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 26 Feb 2017 at 22:00

Yes Choline, a senior moment AC, thanks for pointing out! Another explanation of a Choline PET scan indicating cancer locations by the uptake of Choline in the PET scan is 'Because prostate cancer cells are hungry for anything that will fuel their rapid growth, it is this feature that allows the tumor (US spelling), to be imaged. Prostate cancer eagerly takes up choline, which is a naturally occurring part of the B-vitamin complex. The tumor cells need nutrients to multiply quickly, and they use choline as a kind of building block. It collects in any prostate cancer tumors, whether located in the prostate, lymph nodes, or more remote locations. When choline is labeled (US script) with a type of radioactivity called C-11, the PET scanner picks up the exact location of the tracer concentrations. As 3-dimensional images of the target regions are processed, the tumors are shown as brightly lit spots or areas.' The link is here http://sperlingprostatecenter.com/choline-c-11-pet-scans-prostate-cancer/ There are variations on Choline but the result is similar.
Had I taken the advice of UCLH I would have been on HT for about seventeen months by now and even my usual consultant there said I did well to take the advice of others rather than his and defer it's use for the time being.

No sense of panic on my part but as when I was a scout, the motto 'Be Prepared' is applicable.

Dave,

I do wish you well and hope that IHT works for you as it seems to do for some, if it comes to that.

Edited by member 26 Feb 2017 at 22:08  | Reason: Not specified

Barry