I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

That was not in the plan.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2017 at 07:49

So sorry to read your news Chris ,you have been through so much hopefully the RT may not effect you as much as you fear and get the remaining cancer. .all the best mate Andy

User
Posted 11 Jan 2017 at 10:55

Chris, wishing you all the very best!

User
Posted 11 Jan 2017 at 17:16

Hi Chris.

Sorry to hear the news mate.
Hope something can be found to help you.

Cheers.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 17:34
So onto the next plan.

Following another small rise in my PSA to 0.27 a couple of weeks ago I went to see an oncologist for the first time in my journey, some of you will know him as a guest speaker at The Mill on the Soar. So hopefully I am good hands. We discussed the add aspirin trial and the PSMA tests, “all things for the future when trial results are known” . Friday last week I had my planning scan and tattoos, and this morning I had a SPC fitted and another dilatation. Salvage RT starts 5 April with 33 sessions. The SPC is insurance as it is expected that the stricture will be adversely affected and the urethra may close up completely.

Provided the PSA drops. I get a trip to London to have a uroplasty, where skin from the inside of the cheek is grafted into the urethra. The assumption is the sphincter will be compromised so when the uroplasty has healed I will have an AUS fitted. They don’t mention those side effects in the blurb. So if all goes well I may be back to something like normal in a years time.

Depending on which PSA results I use, my doubling time varies between 3.9 and 8 months so I don’t think I can afford to sit and wait.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:36

Hope it all goes well Chris and the RT will go better than you expect, all the best Andy

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:48

Hi Chris

Long time since I have posted, sorry to hear that you are still going through so much hassle. I had a dilation and was using a size 16 catheter pre RT but have now had to reduce it to a size 14, keep trying 16 but it will not go through. I am dreading the day that the size 14 doesn't work. Had my post result from RT and PSA was 0.2 and undetectable, so I was over the moon only to be brought back down to earth by my consultant who informed me that this was expected and nothing would change until I came off the HT next March. Again I know it is a year away but the fear and dread has raised its ugly head. Just wondering how far down in the catheter size did you go before you had your next dilation. Anyway hope all goes well with your journey mate. 

Cheers

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:07

Safe hands CC .... the best you could wish for, I think. I hope it goes well.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:40
Sanders

I am still able to get an IQ14 in without to much trouble. I have found the soft tip 14 slide in with no problems at all, I have ordered some Soft tip 16s. The surgeon got a size 20 camera in without the need to stretch the neck , but it is easier when you can see where it is going.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 23:04

Good luck Chris. My fear when I had RT was that the stricture would be compromised. Fortunately it wasn't.

Hope all goes well and agree you are in good hands

Bri

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 07:14

Chris I hope so much things go well for you and that your structure holds out. You've faced so much mate. The dreaded words RT were repeated to me again last week , so sooner or later ........
Best wishes mate and I'm eternally grateful for you teaching me something I never knew haha

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 08:07
Hope all goes well with your latest treatment plan Chris

Best wishes,

Arthur
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 20:48
Any one in the hands of Jamie is in safe hands I am sure Si would second that .
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 21:02

Hi Chris,

I hope everything goes well and all the difficulties you have faced over the last couple of years, disappear.  You have been through enough.

Now is time for things to be sorted.  Good Luck.

Steve

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 21:34
Hi Chris
Welcome to team Jamie great bloke for heated discussions

Hope all goes well
Si
Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 22:54

CC, just don't tell Jamie that you know Si - he might refuse to see you :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 09:44

Thanks to all of you for your comments and support.

Lyn

Too late, I consider myself very fortunate to have such friendly and accommodating medical team.

Bri

My euro nurse keeps telling me my problems are unique, so hopefully l will defy the odds and the urethra will survive intact.

CJ
The problem of the urethra closing up has put any other RT side effects towards the back of my mind. You said to me in the past make sure you make the right choice,I hope I have, and I am sure you will make the right choice for yourself and for the ones who love you.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 14:39
Hi

Just an update had the first two salvage RT sessions, next one Saturday morning, slight problem with super pubic Catheter port/ wound. Just had the SPC checked by onco who was running 70 minutes late and the check took 30 seconds. For those of you who know the onco, it is worth the wait.

33 sessions in all and the appointment times are all over the place ranging from 8.48 am to 7.24 pm.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 15:12

Hope it goes well for you Chris, i have just got back from city hospital having a bone scan, could have met for a coffeehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 16:41

Good luck, Chris.

Hug,

Lola.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 17:49

Very, very best wishes to you Chris!

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 17:53
Hope all goes well for you and that you get a good result.
User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 18:15

Fingers crossed for you Chris.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 18:42

Good luck with your RT, Chris.

Keeping everything crossed that this treatment will give you the best possible outcome.

I think radiotherapy made a massive difference to my chances back in 2005.

This may well be the year that everything changes for the better after all you've had to contend with for much too long.

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 19:52

I'll be thinking of you Chris. Hope it goes well

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 20:08
Best wishes, hope it all goes well.

Sandy
User
Posted 08 Apr 2017 at 12:18

Hope it goes well Chris

User
Posted 08 Apr 2017 at 12:49

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Chris 

Steve

Edited by member 08 Apr 2017 at 12:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 21:28
Thinking of you Chris. I think oncologist J running 70 mins late was because he needed a swift G&T after seeing Si 😜
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 07:07
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thinking of you Chris. I think oncologist J running 70 mins late was because he needed a swift G&T after seeing Si 😜
BFN
Julie X

J

I must send Si my appointments so we do not clash.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 08:55

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif Not my fault, i see Jamie Thursday

User
Posted 28 Apr 2017 at 10:11

Three years ago today I went into theatre and came out a few hours later after parting company with a cancerous prostate. Today I will have salvage RT session number 16 of 33. Not quite what I had in mind three years ago but I am still here and still have lots of options open.

Thanks for all the support over that time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Apr 2017 at 12:09

Chris,

You have been amazing member of this forum, I thank you for all your contributions.
I wish you all the very best for the future which I sincerely hope will be long and happy!

User
Posted 28 Apr 2017 at 12:28

Chris, everything is going to be OK. And if any other issue, as you say, lots of options to go.

The best to you,

Lola.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2017 at 13:33

Keep smiling Chris, I know, like me, you tend to be a glass half full person so keep positive

User
Posted 28 Apr 2017 at 15:12
Hi Chris,

Half way through the RT, here's hoping the rest of the treatments go both well and quickly for you and you get a great end result

Best wishes, Arthur
User
Posted 29 Apr 2017 at 09:30

Keep fighting Chris

Bri

User
Posted 07 May 2017 at 19:01
Hi

How soon after completion of salvage RT without HT would you expect to have a PSA test, I understand that it can take upto a couple of years for reliable results but was surprised to be told it would be three months after completing RT. That would be six months from the previous test. As it is an assumption the cancer is in the prostate bed couldn't the cancer be elsewhere and growing.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 07 May 2017 at 19:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 May 2017 at 20:34
Hi Chris
Finished salvage RT in June 2016.
First PSA in Sept, then December, then March 2017. PSA doubled within 6 months to 1.2 so now on HT.

All the best

Kevan
User
Posted 07 May 2017 at 21:40

Hi Chris, I finished the RT in Sept and had the first PSA test the following March so 6 months.
It then took 2 years to reach its lowest point

Bri

User
Posted 07 May 2017 at 21:52

I think it is a bit like the chemo CC - the PSA can rise for a short time after RT as the cancer cells die off so PSA is not reliable immediately afterwards.

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 19:23
Just an update.

Just had the last of my 33 sessions of salvage RT. Urinating is very painful and very little volume, hopefully more to do with the SPC than RT. Bowels just about okay but slight leakage, perhaps now the mini enemas have finished things should settle.

I have been warned things may get worse in the next few weeks.

So get on with life and wait three months for next PSA.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 19:54

Well done Chris. They told me any side effects would peak about two weeks after the RT ended

Enjoy the summer ☀️☀️

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 19:57
Hi Chris,

Pleased that you have completed RT ok. I think you will have a few side effects in the coming weeks but these should settle down in time.

Hope everything goes well for you from now on. You deserve an easier time.

Take care.

Steve
User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 20:46

Good luck for the coming weeks and months Chris.

Hope your recovery goes well

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 20:51

Best wishes as always Chris.

User
Posted 26 May 2017 at 19:11

Hi Chris hope things settle down quickly for you All the best Andy

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 10:19

Just catching up with the news, and can honesty say I had my legs tightly crossed reading yours.
Hope everything went as planned, and although recovery is slow, things will get better.
Take care.
toad.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 22:29
11 weeks post salvage RT, PSA down from 0.27 to 0.08.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 22:31

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 10 Aug 2017 at 22:31

Thanks Chris