Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mortgage insurance

User
Posted 27 Oct 2015 at 16:20
Hi,
I was treated for prostate cancer( radio therapy ) in January this year. Fortunately the treatment was successful and my PSA results have been good. My girlfriend will be moving in with me and We will have a small mortgage. I have been advised that I can't get mortgage protection unless I have been clear of prostate cancer for a year. I wondered if you know of any insurance companies that may be prepared to cover the mortgage for me. Also would you know what is deemed as being clear of prostate cancer for a year. The doctor I spoke too said that if the PSA level is under 2 then treatment is considered successful. Mine was 0.15 and I am on 6 monthly reviews.

Many thanks,

Geoff Hall
User
Posted 27 Oct 2015 at 20:04

Hello Geoff and welcome.

Have no personal knowledge to share but wondered whether you had thought to contact either/both Macmillan.org or cancerresearch.org who both offer advice on money matters, some of which is aimed at mortgages etc.

Just a thought

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Oct 2015 at 23:03

Hi Geoff, unfortunately we have found it to be worse than you are being advised. We wanted a small mortgage for a project and have been refused any mortgage because John cannot get life insurance - he is 5 years post diagnosis and has been undetectable for 3 years but we couldn't find a company that was willing to cover him. I suppose in their eyes it is the equivalent of providing contents insurance for a house that has no front door.

Incidentally, this was the reason I decided against genetic testing a few years ago - as part of the counselling you have to go through beforehand it was explained to me that if I tested positive for the gene that causes brain tumours in our family, our children probably wouldn't be able to get mortgages or life insurance when they get to that stage.

Let us all know if you do find a willing company

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 28 Oct 2015 at 01:45

Nationwide Building Society is the parent of 'The Mortgage Works' who do a lot of Buy to Let but also some other mortgages. I used them some years ago when I had PCa but lending criteria can change. I had to go to them through a broker. This is for information and not to be taken as advice.

Barry